Author Topic: Freezer Clean Out  (Read 19706 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Freezer Clean Out
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 02:18:31 pm »
Dede, its the onky steak i really really enjoy :D

We are lucky it can very expenive, but i am sure yiu guys will get a good deal being farmers etc ;)
H ;)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 11:36:05 pm »
Well think maybe I am better off to never try it, then I will never know what I am missing out on and we can keep enjoying the steak we eat now.  ;D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 11:48:09 pm »
I am not a steak person, I find steak can be chewy. This steak melts in your mouth. I buy it whenever the butcher has some, its not very often, sometimes i can only get 1 piece and it can take me a month to get us enough for dinner. I dont buy it unless its the end part that is under weight, i think its normally around $60-90per kg not really sure. I have nver had it in a restaurant as its about $60-100.

Hally :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 11:58:28 pm »
Holly cow (lol) that's expensive meat. As we are farmers and owned a butcher shop we know the secrets to growing good meat that is tender. So we have no problem with chewy steak. If you ever buy steak any where make sure it is yearling steak. And never buy budget steak unless your using it to casserole. A good steak is from a cow that has been treated right and feed well and is under no stress at the time of slaughter. Which is impossible to tell all this when buying a piece of steak at a butcher  shop or supermarket.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
Yes wagyu cows areholy..lol

I buy tbone, porterhouse, i like the porterhouse side of the t bone, i have rhst and ds has the other part. I buy cotch fillet which is normally good but occasionally can be a little chewy. I will ask my butcher to give me tearling. Thanks :)

H :)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:36 am »
Just read your conversation about wagyu...  We've had a limousine-angus cow artificially inseminated with a wagyu straw a couple of years+ ago.  Her steer is now nearly ready for the freezer (once he's "finished" on some barley pasture)  :)  We're hoping to get the right amount of marbelling through the meat. 
Dede you're lucky to have your own butcher!  My DS and I can deal with smaller things than steers (lamb, pork, rabbits...) but we usually employ a butcher to cut up our beef.   He comes to our place but we hang the meat in our cool-room.  Homegrown is always better!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:51 am »
Carine, i bet yiur wagyu will be melt in the mouth

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:23 am »
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but our freezer used to be a black hole from which various strange things would emerge, a lot of them ending up being chucked because they didn't look safe to eat.

A year or so back, OH and I had a thorough clear-out of our freezer and I made a note of everything I kept, including which drawer it was in.   I started a list on my computer for each drawer showing what was in it, portion size and the month it was frozen.  In addition, I got a stock of little sticky labels so that every time I freeze something, it gets a label stuck on it saying what it is and date frozen.   

The list is stuck to the side of the freezer with a magnet and whenever I take anything out, I scribble it out on the list.  (If only I could train OH to do the same  :D :D).   Whenever the list looks a bit messy,  I just type up a new one.

It sounds incredibly anal (and probably  is  ;D ;D) but it has really worked and I now throw nothing away.  In addition, with OH being away this week, I know exactly where to find those one-portion meals I froze for just such an occasion.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »
Sounds like you are so organised... Well done, even down to meals for 1. I too have sticky labels on all i could abel, nthing will go in the freezer  now without a label, well i hope.

Its grezt not to have to waste money through not knowing what, how long, etc.

Felt really good clearing all 3 out :)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 12:47:58 am »
Carine, i bet yiur wagyu will be melt in the mouth

Certainly hope so  :)  Will only be half wagyu though, but still worth a try!

Re freezer labelling, I just keep a permanent marker on top of the freezer and label freezer bags or containers as they go in.  When we have lots of meat to freeze I stick a note on the freezer to remind us where all the different cuts are- saves rumaging through all the draws   ;)

How did you go with your tidying up Hally?
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 11:03:03 pm »
Freezer full, but nicely organised.

Even 1/2 wagyu would be wonderful i am sure. Let s know

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:56 am »
Katya, i label our stuff in the freezer, and have it on a list on the the pantry door.

Also when we buy beef, our butcher labels the different cuts, steaks etc for us. ( we buy a whole beef at a time, about 300 kilos.)

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 06:31:43 am »
Wow Obbie how long does that meat last?
H :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »
 :) 10-12 months for us.
we have 2 kids, who mainly eat mince and sausages.
So we haven the steak, roasts, t bones, diced steak, fillet steak, porterhouse, for us.

I buy as much as possible in bulk.

Fish at 10-20 kilos at a time.
chicken at 5-10 kilos, when I can.
But we have 3 big chest freezers full.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »
3 chest freezers, thats why you are so rganised.

Are you buyingthis met straight from the farms. Who chops it all up?

Very interesting, must be a lot cheaper in the long

Oh by the way i have a whole cow at home....that would be a  great coversation starter at social event...lol