Author Topic: Vacuum Sealing for freezing, cooking and refrigeration  (Read 99950 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum Sealing for freezing, cooking and refridgeration
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 06:34:24 am »
I wish I hadn't bothered,it annoyed me but I was sucked in! Weak hey
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
I don't watch it either, don't have the time but would rather watch a cooking program on Foxtel if I did.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »
When I first saw it I was qutie impressed that it was of the reality genre but the chefs / judges / cooks were actually very supportive and helpful to the 'contestants' and I thought it was was such a refreshing and wonderful change.  However, I soon learned otherwise it just deteriorated into yet another set piece reality show - with all the monotonous soul searching confessions of the participants, etc.  Really, really boring, but I guess bad news is better for viewing statistics than good news and the programme seemed to be heading that way (I had turned off before it got to this stage).  Such a shame as it could have been a really good programme. 

I read an article yesterday on the internet that was also critical of Masterchef but put forward the idea of presenting much the same show, only using healthy foods and creating meals that were not dripping in fats, etc. in an effort to encourage healthy eating and cooking and turn around our looming obesity epidemic.  A show such as that could be well worth watching.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:44:21 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:16 am »
I was curious so DH downloaded a few episodes of the Australian Masterchef last week...dont think they hgave that in France its mainly Topchef (who are not amateur cooks) and some other one I cant remember anyway I was really disappointed not only at the whole show but the level of cooking was pretty bad and each time they were given recipes  ???...what the hell..even on amateur shows here they dont have recipes...dont know just found it overall a disappointment!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 09:03:23 am »
I don't think that my vacuum sealer is very posh. It is called FoodSaver compact II 550. I am cooking for one most of the time so it is a really useful gadget to have. I usually freeze my soups and stews in square tubs first and then I bag them. My family refer to them as soup or dinner bricks which does not sound very appertising. I have never thought to boil them in the bag. I make my bread then I slice it  before freezing it in a plastic box first. I then bag it in quarters. Its a bit long winded but the machine would just suck it into a mess if it wasn't frozen first and I only use maybe one or two slices of bread a day.I buy my bags from a company on Ebay. I prefer the bags to the rolls. 
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:34 am »
Thanks Dot I saw a sunbeam one the other week at Costco and wondered what they were like. It was $199

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 07:43:18 am »
Yvette, Following Mindmappers message,I renewed my interest in food vacuum sealers and looked up a few on the internet. It seems to me that anyone would benefit by paying more for one that has a "suck" guage so that you can stop before the strong suction closes in on the food to squeeze it too hard. The trouble is that the very posh ones are way too big for my counter space. Mine is just basic which is why I need to "freeze before squeeze"  :( :( :(

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:51 am »
Thanks Dot I will research and go and look at a few

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 07:54:17 am »
Hi Yvette,
I never before realised it but mine is also made by Sunbeam. It is known as "FoodSaver" with the makers name not evident. Anyway, I paid around £50 BP for mine so I think that the one you saw is the one that I have come up with as a model with the various sucking guages. (£99 BP here)I like it except that it is steel and black and I prefer white in my kitchen. I might even have considered upgrading but for the colour. I have certainly not had any trouble with mine.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 11:18:11 am »
Thanks Dot, I didn't notice what colour it was, I think it was white. I will save my money and have a look at a few others

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:04 pm »
I've been thinking of getting one of these for ages and I just bought one on Ebay - hope it's not a dud.
It has an auto-release sensor and allegedly detects different food density and also comes with a few rolls of bags - cost $99.99.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:58 am »
Do you have a link Amanda??  ;)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:59 am »
Hope you receive it and try it out before the end of August Amanda - no point us both having duds  ;D ;D
I'm thinking about it but just holding back at the moment wondering if I really need one or not but for that price, if it works well, I might get one (if they have any left at the end of August).  Will watch this space for your review  :-* and then kick myself if they have sold out.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 01:36:23 am »
Judy - the item is in Sydney, so I'm hoping to get it this week.  I'll let you know what I think about it once I've had a play with it.