Author Topic: Driving To Melbourne  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Tamara91

• View Profile
Driving To Melbourne
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:43:58 am »
Hi

My Fiance an i are driving from South East Queensland to Melbourne, an after suggestions on some food to take for the drive to save some money :=)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Driving To Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:49:16 am »
Check out the snacks and starters section, you are bound to find items that suit your tastes and which can be eaten cold as well.  You could make some salads, cook some chops and sausages or crumbed chicken pieces, make some sandwiches and have a big esky packed with ice to keep them fresh. Cheese and crackers, cakes and biscuits for snacks on the way.  Flask of tea or coffee which can always be renewed if staying in a motel/hotel overnight or are you driving straight through to Melbourne in one go?  Have a great holiday and travel safely.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tamara91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:06:51 am »
We are stopping in Goondiwindi for Lunch an them aiming to get to Dubbo from their for the night. but i want to make things that will last a week or so to then drive back with as well, as we are not taking my TM. .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:58 am »
So you will having heating and freezing facilities.  That makes it easier.  You could make some of your favourite casseroles from the forum and freeze them until needed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:53 am »
It is sensible to take your food with you. I have had food poisoning a couple of times at road stops. We travel a lot and have an Engel car fridge we use. I take fruit, salad lines, bread , home cooked corned beef. Also one or two fruit cakes. They keep well. If you like snacks when driving Nuts and Bolts are nice.
I am not sure of the fruit fly controls in place for that trip as we live in the West. There may not be any as SA and WA are the strictest.
Enjoy the trip and drive safe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
I think about the only thing you cannot carry across the Queensland border into NSW is bananas.

This is a useful site for domestic  travellers. http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:27:18 am »
I think there's a fresh fruit rule across the NSW and Vic border too.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:53:41 pm »
Granola and LL milk.  Biscuits , Cantucci or dry Italian type travel well. and banana cake that can be toasted.  Thermos for tea, coffee or cold drinks .  We find stopping for morning and afternoon teas soak up money.  Usually buy just one meal a day.  Have a great safe trip.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:49 pm »
We have a kettle in the back of the car for making tea. Saves a fortune.
Enjoy your holiday.

We make our own muesli, without sugar it is yummy.
Jumbo Oats, rolled spelt, coconut, walnuts, flaked almonds, we just add fresh fruit every morning.

There are lots of good cake and biscuit recipes on here.
The Christmas hamper thread has a lot of good recipes like spiced nuts, fudge, and other yummies. Biscotti travel well.
Have fun.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
I forgot about the thermos. We always carry 2 actually. One for morning coffee and one for lunch. We only put hot water in them as D H sometimes has a cup of soup at lunchtime. We've found that it isn't advisable to have a big type of meal at lunch as it makes you feel tired driving after lunch. We usually just have a sandwich and drink. Sometimes with a piece of cake or biscuit.
We actually haven't stopped for coffee or a meal on the road for about 35 years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/