Author Topic: Help with Peanut Butter  (Read 7139 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Help with Peanut Butter
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:55 am »
Hi all,

I tried peanut butter today and it was *awful*! So much so that I threw it in the bin without even giving the kids a try. I had had the already shelled peanuts for a little while (maybe two weeks?), and they are raw - would they have gone stale?

We all love the hazelnut spread (except my DH who has a thing against chocolate and bread - go figure!) and was hoping to not have to open that new jar of PB that I have in the pantry.

I read the existing thread on PB at http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2804.0 but most comments there seemed to really like the recipe so any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Help with Peanut Butter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:32:17 pm »
Personally I use roasted salted peanuts and a little macadamia nut oil. Nuts can go rancid. You may want to roast them first unless you are a raw foodie ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:11 pm »
I also use roasted and salted :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »
I use a mixture of cashew, roasted almond and roasted salted peanuts. Everyone in my family loves it and they're Kraft Peanut Butter fans, normally refusing to eat anything else!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:01:47 pm »
Oh yum MJ - the cashews would help to make it creamy wouldn't they?
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:00 am »
That sounds like a very yummy mix MJ. Will definitely give it a try.  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »
It's delicious! ;)
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:02:25 am »
Without a doubt - roast the nuts before processing. You can choose how much roasting you like; I like to include some hazel nuts and roast until some of the nuts are a bit charred around the edges.  Cool down then into the TMX for grinding. I like to include the peanut skins (not the shells!!) for added fibre and colour. My kids love it.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:15 am »
I have never made peanut butter in the TMX. I'm too scared that I'll scoff the lot. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:30:31 am »
(Un)fortunately that's an occupational hazard we have to learn to live with!  ;D
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Peleep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:26 pm »
Without a doubt - roast the nuts before processing. You can choose how much roasting you like; I like to include some hazel nuts and roast until some of the nuts are a bit charred around the edges.  Cool down then into the TMX for grinding. I like to include the peanut skins (not the shells!!) for added fibre and colour. My kids love it.

It is so easy, delicious, and gives you 100% control of what's in it!  I use ~ 500g mixed nuts... roasted in microwave 5 x 2 minute runs with stirring in between. I let them cool (because they continue to roast) for an hour or so. When cool, throw the whole lot into TMX with a pinch of salt and sugar (optional personal taste) .... speed 4 for about 30 seconds, then to speed 10 for about 2 minutes. you will see  it transform in to a paste.

Then i transfer the whole lot into an air tight storage container , and into the fridge.  The only hard work is the licking of the spoon and bowl, and perhaps fully washing the peanut butter from the blades....

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:31 pm »
I use roasted, unsalted and use whatever mix of nuts I have. Do love straight peanut though. Would use about a cup of nuts. Add a couple of dates, a pinch of salt and some coconut oil and whizz it up. Spectacular.

The coconut oil makes it go hard in the fridge and I slice it off and put it on apple slices for morning tea often. I want some now!