Author Topic: Canned cake, with picture  (Read 8050 times)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
Canned cake, with picture
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:48:03 am »
This is a none thermomix cake recipe.. I invented this way of cake preserving to make sure i have fresh cake available at any time ... And the taste and texture is mindblowing!  Because of the canning all the moisture stays in the cake, as does the flavor!

>250 gr butter
250 gr selfraising flour
250 gr sugar
4 eggs, separated
Vanilla-essence (home made : half several vanilla pods lengthwise and put them in a bottle of vodka..  Put this in a dark place for a few weeks before using)
pinch of salt
Almond powder and butter for the cans

Put butter (roomtemp) in a kitchen machine and whip untill the mixture turns pale and the sugar is resorbed.
Add egg yolks, vanilla essence and salt and mix well.
  Keep the machine running and add flour spoon by spoon.
Beat the eggwhites to stiff peaks and gently fold them in the cake mixture.. Do this very slowly to make sure the air stays in.

Take spotless clean conic canning jars, butter them inside (up to 2 cm from the top) and coat with almond powder. This wil make it easier to remove the cake later! Make sure the edges of the jars are completely clean.
 Fill the jars with the cake mixture, about 1/3th of the volume maximum..  The cake will raise !
Seal the jars and put them in a canning device.. Bring the water to 100 degrees and sterilize tue cans for an hour from there.

Remove and let cool...

>Enjoy!
Live life to the fullest

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Canned cake, with picture
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:50 am »
Thanks Stef for sharing your idea and recipe :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:17 pm »
Must give this recipe to my sister. She does a lot of canning. She uses a Vacola outfit.
Thanks for posting!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »
Thanks Stef for sharing your idea and recipe :-*
Must give this recipe to my sister. She does a lot of canning. She uses a Vacola outfit.
Thanks for posting!

i hope you like it, megan and CC
Live life to the fullest

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:53 am »
This recipe looks amazing stef!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:27:22 am »
I made this over the weekend and had an interesting time of it.  My main problem is that I don't have all the correct gear for preserving and went about it all the wrong way.  I had bottles toppling over everywhere in the pot and ended up dashing out to the garden to get some rocks to put on top of the preserving jars to hold them in place - glad no one was around watching me!

I added a couple of spoons of mango puree to the mixture, but it wasn't enough to taste in the finished cake, which was disappointing.  It is a nice cake, though, Stef.

Anyway, I'll know better next time - add heaps more mango and modify my preserving technique.  The finished cake tasted very nice and moist, but I think it really does need extra flavours added.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »
I made this over the weekend and had an interesting time of it.  My main problem is that I don't have all the correct gear for preserving and went about it all the wrong way.  I had bottles toppling over everywhere in the pot and ended up dashing out to the garden to get some rocks to put on top of the preserving jars to hold them in place - glad no one was around watching me!

I added a couple of spoons of mango puree to the mixture, but it wasn't enough to taste in the finished cake, which was disappointing.  It is a nice cake, though, Stef.

Anyway, I'll know better next time - add heaps more mango and modify my preserving technique.  The finished cake tasted very nice and moist, but I think it really does need extra flavours added.

Lol,  i only wish i was able to see you struggle with the cans..   As for the taste, this is a classic basic  recipe. We are used to eat it as it especially when it is heavily flavored With vanilla!  You can serve it with feesh fruits, jams or marmelade, whipped cream and so on .  If you add pango puree you alter the texture too much.. It may be a better idea to add dried fruits, maybe soaked in a bit of rum or brandy, or to serve it with the mango at the side. 
Live life to the fullest

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I think I probably didn't add enough vanilla either.  I tend to be a bit light with my quantities when I make something for the first time.  If I make it again I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Stef, if you were there I would have had no trouble with the bottles in the pot because you would have known in advance that I was going to get myself into a mess and would have given me the appropriate advice before it all happened.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »
Love this idea 😊. Thx for posting stef!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business