Author Topic: Milk and Honey Bread  (Read 21414 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Milk and Honey Bread
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:24:27 am »
Milk and Honey Bread
With the purchase of the TMX last year, I thought that I would get over my obsession for Cook books. Fortunately/ unfortunately this has not happened. My latest is 'Earth to Table, Seasonal recipes from an Organic Farm'. By Jeff Crump and Bettina Schorman.
Bettina is a passionate bread baker. In this book is a recipe that I just had to try. I have halved the recipe to make just 1 loaf It is a slightly sweet loaf with a very fine crumb. Kids love it.

460 g. bread flour.
1 teaspoon salt. ( I don't add this as I use Laucke premix )
1 teaspoon of dry instant yeast.
250g milk
40g honey
Olive oil spray or melted butter to brush on loaf before baking.

Place all(except oil/butter) into TMX bowl and knead for 5 mins.
Leave in TMX bowl until double, could take up to 2 hours because of little yeast.
Form into loaf and place in bread tin. Spray with water and place in warm place to double. Don't cut slashes in top.
Brush top with butter or spray with olive oil.

Bake in preheated oven. 200/220c for 20/ 30 mins. remove from tin and cook for 5/10 mins. out of tin on shelf to brown the bottom.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:39:10 am by achookwoman »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Milk and Honey Bread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:18:48 am »
Oh Chookie, that looks wonderful.  Please keep them coming, I will try this, thankyou.  ;D

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:01:59 am »
Does look fabulous Chookie. I'm just getting confident with Isi's Portuguese rolls (which I mostly make into a loaf) so think I'll give this a try. Thanks  :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:26:40 am »
VHJ,  you sound like you are ready to move on.   This one is simple but you need to be patient with the rise.  However  we had toasted roast lamb sandwiches for tea tonight made with this loaf,  delicious. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »
Good one Chookie.  If I could learn how to cut bread as thinly as you, I might make more bread - that's why I find rolls easier to do, no slicing needed. Comment from DD about your bread rolls tonight was 'they taste so good' so obviously people can notice the difference between them and bought ones. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:31 am »
Judy ,  this bread is easy to cut thin as the texture is fine.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:32:18 am »
Chookie, you are doing wonders for my hips!.Thanks, I can't resist a new bread recipe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nelleraye

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:03 am »
Good one Chookie.  If I could learn how to cut bread as thinly as you, I might make more bread - that's why I find rolls easier to do, no slicing needed.  

Judy- I use an electric carving knife to cut my bread and can get it even and thin. You can also buy a guide that your bread sits in with gaps for the knife (so they are always even and also so the bread doesnt get squashed!)

The bread looks nice Chookie. will have to try it! P.S. why dont you cut into the top of the bread?

Don't cut slashes in top.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:50 am »
Nelleraye, I was wondering the same thing as I'm sure I could see where Chookie had slashed it.  Please explain Chookie  ???
I used to have both items but for some reason got rid of the electric knife and threw the guide away years ago.  I don't even know why I had a guide as I only started making loaves after I got my TMX . I will check out the better quality ones though, thanks Nelleraye.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
Judy and Nelleraye,  I did cut slashes in the loaf when it had risen 3/4 of double.  Then I looked at the picture in the book and reread the recipe and Bettina didn't slash hers.   Her finished loaf had a texture/pattern like snake skin  -  very attractive.  Mine had this also,  where i hadn't slashed it.  So please yourself.   For cutting the bread,  I use my grannies bread knife.  DH uses (Dragon Slayer)a heavy serrated knife. The kids gave him this knife and that is what they called it.  We have one of those plastic holders but I don't like it. I also don't like the electric knife although many do.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:58:02 am »
Yum another one to try acw thx and LOL ré the cookbook continued addiction pré and post thx...im exactly the same and my current bookshelf dedicated to cookbooks is choca block full so Will havé to get yet another as i am unable to resist good cookbooks and discovering thé new recipes .... Think it all comes down to loving food and cooking  ;D ;D ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 11:07:44 am »
Frozzie,  DH and I give each other book vouchers, from Readings in Melb. for Xmas and Birthdays.   Mostly I can buy books without feel guilty.  I still have every cook book I have bought or been given,  even one my mum gave as a gift for my engagement 46 years ago.  I think that at my age it may be a fetish. ;D    I do read a lot of other stuff.

Offline nelleraye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 07:22:27 am »
Thanks for clarifying Chookie.
I get what you mean about the snake skin look, sorta like when it cracks when rising! Mmmm bread. Its making me hungry!

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 02:55:42 pm »
yum - what a great recipe

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:37 am »

With the purchase of the TMX last year, I thought that I would get over my obsession for Cook books. Fortunately/ unfortunately this has not happened.

Join the club !!!!!  Now I see books and look at recipes and think.... gee I could convert that !

Great work with the recipe Chookie.  I know that snakeskin appearance - it is interesting.  Thanks for the tips about slow proofing too.  :-* :-* :-*

Yours really does look good. Sure the gremlins would adore it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.