Author Topic: best method of bread making  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
best method of bread making
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:05:16 am »
Just would like to know the best results of bread making - proving once then putting into a cold oven, or proving twice and putting into hot oven.  Thanks :-\ 

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: best method of bread making
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:15:50 am »
I think some of it is down to personal taste and trial and error.   I also think it can depend on the type of bread you are making

I can't use the cold oven approach (I have an Aga) and find double proving works well.  However, when I'm rushed I'll just let it rise once and it produces a good loaf.

Sorry I can't be more specific - maybe someone else will have a better answer...

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:06 am »
I agree with Katya - it depends on what you want.
If you are in a hurry for bread then the cold-oven method is great and works well, but bread develops more flavour with slower proving so if you are making something special you might want to use the other method.
Hope that helps. :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »
Thanks Amanda and Katya.  I've had success with the cold oven method.  I'll now go ahead and try the double proving.   :-*

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:55 pm »
Well out consultant did the basic bread recipe from EDC and we put it in the coold oven for 30 minutes @ 200c and it came out pretty perfectly, jut needed maybe another 5 mins for a small damp spot in the middle. A loaf I'd made the dough in the breadmaker a few days earlier, which I gave 2x 50 min provings was virtually the same consistency. Still, more experimentation is needed  ;)

Russell.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:33 pm »
Russell,  just a few points on the EDC bread recipe.  No bread should have any damp or gooey spots in the middle.  You can cook this recipe in either a cold or heated oven.  The secret to success is a good double proofing.   If you don't need the machine for 45 mins,  then leave the dough in the bowl with a towel on top.  This helps keep the heat in.  For best results the room  temp should be between 20 and 25.   If not create a warm environment.....car that is in the sun,  bed with electric blanket,  window with sun coming in.   When the bread is in the tin for the second rising,  spray with water and cover with plastic.  (I put a plastic shower cap on the tin) ) ,  or place in a plastic bag.

Most Forum members have had great success with Isi's recipes.   I would suggest that you have a go at these.   Good luck.  You will soon understand how we come to have so many breadcrumbs in the freezer :-)) :-)) :-))