Author Topic: The things that make you happy  (Read 6946 times)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
The things that make you happy
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:04:35 pm »
For me.. it's the 20kg bag of organic stoneground flour sitting on my bench waiting for me to decant it into the storage buckets!  I need to put it into the freezer for keeping but it's just making me smile right now.

My kids think I'm crazy....  :D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: The things that make you happy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »
Being in a bulk food shop with two hours to spare!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
Don't worry about what the kids think Ceejay, they may be just like you one day  :D :D
At the moment for me it is bread/roll making.  I never thought I would get so much pleasure from it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:19:31 pm »
Being able to spend a day cooking,  with the TMX,  anything that takes my fancy ;D  Coming in from the garden with a basketful of home grown produce,  and eggs of course.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:23 pm »
Ooh, yes, that too Chookie. I just love it when I can make a dish with food from my garden.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:22 pm »
Making an Iron Booster Smoothie for my girls based on dried apricots, and not being sure whether they'll like it, only to be told "it's my absolute favourite, I love it."  Makes up for when they (well one of them) don't even try their dinner.

Finding a Health Food Store where the staff know the ingredients, cook with them, and don't look at you strangely when you say you make your own bread.

And for something different, surveying a nicely mown lawn, knowing that at least that will last a few days, unlike a tidy house.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:17 am »
Oooh MJ I only go to our organic bulk food shop if I have a couple hours spare!  ;)  I used to work there as well... think I need to go back to work!  :D

JD, my 15yo says "not likely" and that he doesn't think.. he knows I am.  :-))  :P

Definitely agree chookie!  Love using things from the garden here too.   :)

Win win Cathy!  ;)

Another for me is the fresh homemade sourdough bread and lemon butter for my breakfast... and an organic latte to compliment of course!  8)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:35:30 am »
For me it's a happy family, therefore I have no family stresses.

On the cooking line it's a full day cooking without other pressures. Like yesterday I had a lovely day and baked and cooked all day, mostly with my TMX.

I also love being able to sit and read without any other things needing to be done-I usually have to be on holiday for that.
To be perfectly honest I now realise that there a heaps of things that make me happy, thanks for posting this Ceejay.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 02:48:34 am »
a clean house and a happy family, thats all i need to make me happy!!
oh and of course i love having cookups with thermie but find i dont get to often with a 3 yr old and 6 month old!
Emma from Victoria

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 03:09:07 am »
What a lovely thread to start Ceejay.  Like others cooking with tmx, clean house, happy family all make me happy.

Just had a quiet cuppa outside in the sunshine and said thanks to the universe for being alive and  happy and then came in and read this thread, amazing  :) :) :) :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:22 am »
Isn't it nice that we're all so easy to please? :D
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:13:11 am »
This is a lovely thread.  It is the simple things that make me happy too.  Cuddles with my boys when they have just woken up (so warm and snug), fresh homemade bread and apricot jam, sunshine on my face in winter and precious moments alone to "potter" in my kitchen and garden.  :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:32:04 pm »
Sometimes we all need a little reminder I guess.  ;)

This afternoon it was my 3 boys fighting over who was going to get to vacuum with the new Dyson... :D :D :D  Here's hoping that lasts..  :-))

My 3yo pointing to each of his cheeks one at a time to show me where I "needed" to kiss him goodnight... over and over!  ;D

My 15yo keen to have his assignment in on time... and asking me if we can afford his excursion!  :o

Oh.. and aforementioned 15yo making dinner without being asked whilst I had the younger 3 at the GP!  ;D

musingnmayhem

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:23 pm »
Oh, that's just lovely ceejay!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »
We do need reminders Ceejay :).

My bulk organic order is due to be delivered tomorrow so I am going to be a happy chappy.  I don't know if it's my love of organising or my love of wholesome food, but I really enjoy the delivery day. Are we a little strange do you think Ceejay?? ;D