Author Topic: What's in your (edible) garden!  (Read 16411 times)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
What's in your (edible) garden!
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:13 am »
Currently my garden is a tad run down... the tumeric is going well as is my basil, some of the parsley, the dill, chives and the rosemary bush is taking off.

I'm pondering what to replant next month....

I'm thinking:

Onions
Garlic
Ginger
Baby Spinach (a staple here)
Silverbeet (need to extend the bed a bit as it gets so big!)
Cherry tomatoes (haven't had much luck in the past but I'm tenacious ;))

We also have a lemon tree, mulberry tree, 2 passionfruit vines (one courtesy of the neighbour over the fence!) and half of another neighbour's mandarin tree...  ;D

Suggestions for other easy grow items are welcome!!  :-*

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: What's in your (edible) garden!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:52:59 am »
We use heirloom seeds from Eden Seeds. ATM we don't have much in but I do have garlic, tomatoes, parsley, basil, cucumbers, gooseberries. In the orchard we have apple, banana, QLD nut (of called it that since I was a kid and won't change!), mulberry, avocado, bunya nut, lemon. Mother-in-law up the rd has orange, plum, apricot, peach,persimmon. Sister-in-law up the road has black Russian tomatoes and dragon fruit! My mum has some habanero chili, pineapple sage, mint, etc. So a bit of variety around here. But really want to get stuck into making a good kitchen garden like the one on Better Homes last night. (Not that I got to watch it all - damn cricket!!)  ;)
Better Homes and Garden Vege Patch
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv/watch/-/6767024/vege-patch-make-over/
Eden Seeds
http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:42:28 am »
i was planning a blog post on my garden this weekend!!

we jsut went to the nursery today and i got a dwarf meyer lemon, brussels sprouts, onions, turnips, spinach and maybe something else, i forget.

growin atm is beetroot, a few last carrots, a mini watermelon, basil, dill, vietnamese mint, regular mint, tomatoes, coriander, potatoes, silverbeet, garlic and lemongrass, capsicum and oregano, and strawberries.

how can i tell when the lemongrass is ready, does anyone know? does it dry out like the garlic or is it basically ready any time?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 06:48:10 am »
thank you so much nay-nay, that link is brilliant for someone like me who is desperate for raised garden beds full of vegies but with no idea of what to do LOL we actually went to the nursery to ask about materials for constructing some beds (though we cna't afford them atm :() but couldn't find anyone to talk to... will check those out
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:30:19 am »
Only snow and lots of sprouts  :D
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:20 am »
Love this link, so will go out to the veggie garden and take a photo.   We are cold climate,  bit like Tassie,  so can't grow tomatoes (although I try).  But i can grow silverbeet, lettuce, radishes,  berries,  (birds love these)  have to be covered with nets. Cress, rhubarb
herbs of most kinds and bay.   We have had problems growing lemons,  but built a high/long stone wall and planted the lemons next to it.  Every day,  through out the year we eat something from the garden.   We had 4 inches of rain over the new year so this year has been very productive.  We belong to' Diggers',  who have very good seeds and we mail order.   Tonight we are going out to tea,  so will take a large basket of greens.   I always look to the forum for recipes so that we can try different ways with the fruit and veggies.   We don't spray with anything.  We swap with other who grow other things,  and give to a cook who cooks for the Elderly Citzs.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:05 am »
i was planning a blog post on my garden this weekend!!

I see my mind reading powers are getting better!  ;)

Nay, I'd love to visit you and your garden!  Only it's around 2.5hrs drive away! LOL

Interesting varieties so far!  I've never been a keen gardener but the chooks and the amount my kids eat seems to have changed that!  :D

I do tend to *cheat* and use organic seedlings from our local organics store as I seem to get the best results that way.   

Will be growing the ginger, onions and garlic from organic bulbs I have though.  We use so much of them in our day to day cooking, I figure every little bit counts!  :)

The tumeric was a gift from friends who have an extensive organic garden and they gave us so much I just stuck some of it in the ground and kinda forgot about it...  :-[  But it's just thrived!

Looking forward to what others have or are planning!  :-*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:54:42 am »
Garden has been neglected in the last seven months but I have

avocado
artichokes
mangoes,
snow apples
asparagus
pepinos
grapes,
passionfruit
lemon
mandarins
oranges
lemongrass
garlic
shallots
coriander
guava
mulberries
midyim berries
loquat
blueberries
kale
onions
silverbeet
spinach
amaranthe
quinoa
tomatoes
cape gooseberries
tomatillos
pumpkins
zuchinni
rockmelons
cucumbers
medlar
pears
nashi
figs
stevia
brahmi herb
basil
rocket
arrowroot
sweetpotatoes
ginger
coffee
peach
apples
hmmmm, can't remember the rest offhand.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:51:18 am by TheCrone »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:19:45 am »
Wow, TheCrone, where do you live?

I now have to hang my head and shamefully say we have very little to eat in our garden. When we built here we decided to have very little garden for our elder years. We have a meyer lemon (dwarf) that has its first lemon on, some basil, parsley (both in the front) and a few dwarf beans around the roses. We really have no back yard as our house is built to within a metre of the fenceline. The sides of the house and back are all paved and the front has lawn and roses.
We decided this when Dad died suddenly and he had an enormous vegie garden and block, full of garden and then Mum developed Parkinson's disease and couldn't manage it all even with our help.

We are very fortunate though, the place that DH does some relief work has big vegie gardens and we get a lot from there.
No rhubarb yet though VHJ :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:25:40 am »
WA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:27:28 am »
Me too. Are you up in the hills to grow all those lovely things?

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:30:31 am »
I wish I was in the Hills!  I'm in a suburb EOR famous for it's Bikie gang HQ  :P

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 09:44:50 am »
Oh I see. Dh used to teach at the high school there quite a few years ago and I did a bit of relief at one of the primary schools a couple of years ago. Was a bit shaken when the deputy said a few of the Dads were bikies, but she then added that they 'were generally very nice'.
Hope they don't steal all your lovely food.
What are midyim berries and tomatillos please?  Do you have great success with the blueberries?

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:55 am »
midyim berries are a native west australian berry which look like a whitish blueberry and taste of aniseed.  Tomatillos are like cape gooseberries in that they have the paper cover but taste like a sharp tomato.

Blueberries need the same soil as cameleas and azaleas and like to be constantly damp.  They hate weeds.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:06 am »
This question was right up my alley seeing as I have just redone my garden and bought myself a raised garden bed last week.
I planted basil, parsley, coriander, fancy lettuce, spinach, spring onions, dill and a chilli plant in the corrogated iron raised bed & some Vietnamese mint and marjoram in pots.  I already had sage, oregano, mint & chives growing plus a bay tree. All the rosemary bushes have been done away with the newly revamped front and side pebble gardens so I will have to get myself another plant just for cooking. Wanted rhubarb too but they had none. May have to get another tub as there is still a lot of things I would like to grow.  Can't match your list though TheCrone - that is amazing and how I would love to wander through all the above gardens.  Cookie1, we could just sit and talk and you could point out your little patch  ;D ;D ;D I know where you are coming front and these modern houses don't leave much room for gardening.  Still, you do have a few things growing in your limited space so have nothing to feel ashamed of.  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:23:33 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.