Author Topic: Grinding Cinnamon  (Read 22811 times)

Offline petit4s

• View Profile
Re: Grinding Cinnamon
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 12:43:22 pm »
Me three.

I've heard about the ice and garbage disposal unit, so thought the spiel with the thermomix was valid. I'd really like to know the truth.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 03:04:57 am »
The last couple of times I've emailed HO they have been fairly prompt, so let's hope they are this time. I'll look forward to the answer as I had heard a whisper on the grape vine that the ice sharpening was untrue.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 01:31:24 am »
Hi guys,

To clear any confusion regarding the blades, no maintenance is required – one blade does it all. If you find crushing ice seems to help, go ahead and do it...I was told the same thing about my garbage disposal unit knives, so perhaps there is logic or science or both behind the 'myth'. But officially from HO (as you call us!!) there is no empirical data from Vorwerk to support this, thus our removal of that information from all our literature.
Hope this helps  ;)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 01:48:54 am »
i thought the logic behind using ice to sharpen was just simply getting the temperature of the blades low enough to remember there original form, thus sharpening them??  it was explained to me as this, that, anyway you get your blades cold enough will trigger that thermatic memory and sharpen them.  the confusion i found at the start when i got my tm and wen i was a consultant was that people would think that it was ice that sharpened the blades rather than just the drop in temperature... iykwim
gosh now i AM confused...... ???
Emma from Victoria

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:39:09 am »
Thanks Tenina ;D ;D

Offline petit4s

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 03:47:18 am »
em, there is no such thing as "thermatic memory" - it's part of the urban myth. Sounds good, but nothing to it.

Thanks for clearing this all up for us, Tenina!

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:49:16 am »
Thanks for letting us know, Tenina. I'm glad my consultant is up to date with her information.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:58 am »
Thanks from me too Tenina.  Yes, we all do refer to you all as H.O. - is there another word more appropriate perhaps?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:32 am »
em, there is no such thing as "thermatic memory" - it's part of the urban myth. Sounds good, but nothing to it.

thanks petit4s, now i get it (having  a thick moment).
i must say i am abit suprised about this.....
Emma from Victoria

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 11:29:57 am »
Not thick at all, em - the tmx demos pack so much into them that i've found it really good to have them every so often to either refresh or learn new things.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 11:46:10 am »
Thanks Tenina!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:11 am »

Maybe not 'thermatic memory', but my prescription glasses with titanium frames are supposed to have some sort of memory so they bend back to correct shape.

I'll ask my physicist brother who deals with this sort of stuff. i think. He was very involved with coatings on aeroplane wings for a while.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:13 am »
If you have a new machine, the cinnamon quills should mill properly. I would try several approaches.  Firstly, the suggestion of dropping them on the spinning blades always seems to work well for me. I would also try turbo a couple of times and scrape down the sides of the bowl in-between using the turbo button. 6 minutes on speed 10 seems far too long. The most I've used is 1 minute on speed 10. Maybe the suggestion of drying them out more first by popping them in the oven would work for you. The only other thing I could  suggest is obviously to make sure the bowl is completely dry first.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:54 am »
Here's a "trick" for drying the inside of the TMX -  I actually got the tip years ago for drying a Vita-Mix before grinding dry stuff.

With the motor running at speed 5, slowly pour in two generous tablespoons of corn starch or corn flour.
This stuff is extremely hygroscopic and will pick up any residual moisture or trace of oil in the bowl or on the blades.

Stop the motor, remove the lid and bang the powder out and wipe most of the residue out with a paper towel or a dry cloth towel.

Then grind your spices, seeds, etc.  A trace amount of corn starch remaining in the bowl is not going to affect the spices.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:14 am »
Good tip! Will need to try that one.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein