Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 807804 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1935 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:55 pm »
Just doing menu plan for the week :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »
I'm the opposite here.  I bought so much food with my 2 on-line orders before Christmas that I am still living on that.  I had a $0 last week which wasn't surprising as that always happens after Christmas with me but then as this week progressed and I still haven't been to the shops, it will be another $0 week after I get through today.  Never before have I gone 2 consecutive weeks without needing to go to the shops.  I had 2 boxes of LL milk, bought when they were on special so that alone was the main reason I have been able to last this long. OK, I am out of fresh fruit and the vegie bin is looking decidedly empty apart from carrots and potatoes but freezer & pantry stocks have got me through.  My neighbour bought over a few nectarines and yesterday's visitors a pile of tomatoes - music to my ears but once I got to just 3 days away from another $0 week, I was determined I was going to get there. You would think by now I would be able to see empty spaces in the pantry and freezer but honestly, it looks no different  :o  The fruit bowl and virtually empty vegie crisper are the only signs I need to go shopping - that is not counting 3 fruit bowls full of lemons ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: January 18, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »
Wow JD :)

Great savings, 2   0spend weeks.

The only time I managed when I stock piled milk :)

Milk is my problem, new 3 litre carton opened yesterday, nearly finished now >:(

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:58 pm »
Judy, I bought up bigger the week before chrissie, and have only spent $200 since about 20 December, thats including snacks for this week.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 18, 2013, 11:17:51 pm »
I think we all stock up over Christmas then there are leftovers and lack of enthusiasm about food around that time as well with the  overeating and heat.  Most people should be able to have a very light week after Christmas.  It is a very expensive time so it's nice to be able to balance the budget with some low grocery shopping bills for a little while after.

I will only be buying what I have run out of when my new week starts tomorrow as I really would like to see the pantry and freezer stocks deplete a lot more - it has always been a problem of mine and I know it is ridiculous when the shops are just around the corner from me.  I was looking for some cannelloni beans in the pantry the other day and found 10 cans of tomatoes instead.  I can never resist picking up a few cans when they are on special regardless of how many are already in there.  Today's main meal will definitely include a can of tomatoes ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:40 pm »
i get home tomorrow, and will have to meal plan.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:18 pm »
Menu plan sorted. So as long as I stick to it there is no reason to go over budget.

I need milk today whch means I am at gc with dh & cp, I will just have to say NO, NO,NO.

:)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:30 am »
I've just tidied up my kitchen cupboards today, and I still have way too much food. I think I have too much chocolate, and at least 4 packets of prunes!
I am going to try harder to use what I have in my cupboards. Not sure what to do with all the prunes though :(
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 19, 2013, 12:20:36 pm »
Gentleman's Relish

HP sauce

Prune Puree

Pumpkin & prune cheesecake

Pork, apple & prune hotpot

Cherry fruit mince

From the EDC - Farr Breton aux Pruneaux (Prune cake)

From In the Mix - Pastilla

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:55 pm »
Was going to try another $0 week but now have DHs grandparents coming over to BILs for a week, we are having them in for dinner tomorrow night, then having about 20 in for a light meal on Sunday night! But even with all that happening, I only need a few things like cream, bacon etc.  :D
:D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »
Gentleman's Relish

HP sauce

Prune Puree

Pumpkin & prune cheesecake

Pork, apple & prune hotpot

Cherry fruit mince

From the EDC - Farr Breton aux Pruneaux (Prune cake)

From In the Mix - Pastilla

Wow, Judy!!! This couldn't have come at a better time! I have oodles of prunes to use up and this helped!!  Thank you! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »
There are recipes out there for everything GF, glad it helped.

I did my first shop in 2 weeks yesterday and got carried away a bit.  Spent $186 but am bound to have very low spends for the next 2 weeks so it is sure to even out in the end.  What makes my grocery shopping go over the top is by pulling out recipes to do then buying the ingredients for them when I know full well it is going to take me 3 weeks to get through the pile of new recipes.  I am much better off just working out the day beforehand what meat I want to take from the freezer and working around that.  Could kick myself when I lose control like that.  Having said that, it takes my total spend so far in January to just $223.05 which is very good but it's not about the money - it's more about having too much food in the house again :-))

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
My budget is $115, spent $86, (which includes aussie farmer deliveries) done mst of my shopping, will need milk (lots) but thats about it. So really hoping to stay in budget. Got to get on a roll of being in budget, much easier when you are in the zone :)

:)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 21, 2013, 03:17:59 am »
I came in at $95 this week... :)

[/url

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #1949 on: January 21, 2013, 04:28:02 am »
My fridge is only just starting to look lean and mean again after the festive season excesses.  I tried to freeze as much as possible but there was still a lot of food.

Judy I know what you mean by buying  ingredients for recipes......   Our veggie patch is in full swing so  trying to work with that.  Lots of potato salad with pesto and beetroot salads at the mo.

This month has been good as far as shopping excursions go.  Just so sick of the shops anyway so no hardship.  Haven't spent more than $200 on groceries.  Good thing DH buys the wine because we get through a fair bit of that ;)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/