Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 162542 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 07:22:23 am »
cookie are you going to any of the cooking classes? they will be on sale there I think, or else contact your consultant or send me a PM and I can sort one out for you.  They are $30

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 07:56:03 am »
Shortcrust Pastry Page 119 Everyday cookbook

Successfully made this at the weekend - never made pastry before in my life so was pretty proud of myself.  Made it 2 ways, once with butter and then with margarine (to see what the difference was).  The butter one was easier to roll and tasted sweeter (?) but the end product looked exactly the same.  I made pasties - those you buy are either too spicy or the diced vegies aren't cooked so the TMX chopped them to perfection in around 3 seconds and I just added around 180g mince meat. Made 8 out of the 2 lots of pastry but could get more if I made them smaller. 

Will certainly do again - a big 5 out of 5 for me. No longer am I scared of pastry making.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 08:26:57 am »
Amanda, must thank you for your comments on the cook books.  I wasn't sure if I had come on too strong and it is nice to have someone agree with you on this matter.   :-*

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 09:02:53 am »
judy there is a meat cookbook in the pipeline

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
Does Australia have a Winter???

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »
not like a european or north american winter but yes! it snows here occasionally, every few years 8)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 11:27:43 pm »
not like a european or north american winter but yes! it snows here occasionally, every few years 8)

Yes.  I remember it 'snowing' when I lived in Melbourne.  It reached -1C, and everyone at work was very excited.  One of my colleagues lived in the hills a bit, and he came into work late because he was busy taking photos.  He had a photo of himself pointing at the snow on his car.  If I looked VERY hard, I could see it  ;D :D ;D  (I know that you get enough snow to ski in the mountains - I'm just teasing). 

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:14 am »
lol!
we've already had a couple of nights that got down to 4'c here and it's only just autumn! lol mind you it has snowed at christmas - summer - time in the mountains several times that i remember (maybe once a decade or more)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:05 am »
Thanks for the replies re cookbooks.
Baf65, I'm going to the April 2nd cooking class at Bentley so will look then. Daughter is coming with me. Otherwise will contact you if I need help. I haven't heard from my "consultant" since one call after I got my machine. I don't expect them to keep in touch with me but it would have been nice to know when new books are available and how to get them.
But then...............................we can't all be wonderful........................I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 10:15:39 am »
Someone had to do a review on this one so I suffered for everyone and gave it a try.

Midori Splice Page 26 Everyday Cookbook - drinks section

Recipe makes 4-5 large cocktail glasses but I only made one for me to test it.

Nice starter to a dinner party for the ladies.

4 out of 5 for me. 

Expensive to get all the bottles in but they will last a long time - especially in this household.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35:22 am »
LOL

thanks for being such a martyr judy ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:35 pm »
Thanks, Judy, it is good to know tha there are people out there who are prepared to put themselves on the line for the greater good!! :D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 05:17:53 am »
managed to get them from the mushroom man at the market.  At that price $7.50 for 20g, I think I will even eat the container!!!

I had a friend who travelled to Europe frequently and always brought back heaps of dried porcini at very low cost.  Forgotten how much I used to pay - but much less than $7.50 for 100g !!

How I miss her  :'( :'( :'(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 07:26:30 am »
Someone had to do a review on this one so I suffered for everyone and gave it a try.

Midori Splice Page 26 Everyday Cookbook - drinks section

Recipe makes 4-5 large cocktail glasses but I only made one for me to test it.

Nice starter to a dinner party for the ladies.

4 out of 5 for me. 

is that 4 out of 5 glasses are consumed by you ???  ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 07:08:16 am »
I'll put my two bob's worth in here about the recipes books etc for Thermomix in Australia. 

It is great to see how many recipes in the books have received 5/5.

I agree that there have been problems in the past and that many of the recipes really don't work (at least in my hands).  Amanda knows better than most here, having owned her machine for over 18 months, that there really were problems with getting people at TMX Oz to listen.  Recipes were not tested before publication, except by those submitting the recipe.  I find it hard to believe that they were not open to more suggestions and assistance.  When I suggested early last year that there should be a forum (before Tenina's time), I was told that nobody would participate and that they would be lucky to receive a recipe per month.  Mind you they never encouraged anybody to send in recipes.  It has been frustrating IN THE PAST.

Things have changed - Tenina is doing her bit to turn things around with the TMX in OZ blog with monthly recipe comp and with testing recipes submitted for the comp and for the new books.  I know she did a lot of testing for the veg book.

It is great to see the constructive comments here and I hope people will test my recipes and comment on them.  As you can see now, I am nothing to do with the food industry and so am just your average punter.  I can't guarantee my recipes are going to work for everyone, but I am willing to accept criticism and suggestions.  The more criticism the better for me as then I will know that you have tried them - and not everyone has the same palate and likes as me.

Currently, I believe the same is true of the new TMX in OZ group. They are ready for interaction.   So, let's get as many recipes to them as possible that we have tried, and maybe not quite perfected, and also help test recipes on the blog and comment there too.  Trust me - they (Tenina) will listen.

Remember - the cheapest way to get a new vego recipe book is to submit a TMX recipe and have it chosen for the competition.
Thermomixer in Australia