Author Topic: Can the Canned Soups! (with photo)  (Read 22762 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Can the Canned Soups! (with photo)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 03:43:38 am »
ok, if the recipe called for a can of cream of asparagus soup...what would you do?
I make this one regularly, easy peasy, check out in diet section, I have posted my recipe there, obviously you dont have to make it diet!

Isnt it funny, canned soups are newish really here in Spain, and nobody would even dream of buying them, and no recipe ever calls for them either! They are really expensive here too! So much easier and healthier to knock one up in 10 or 15 mins!
Amanda

Spain

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »
Bumping this - I think it's really great!! :D

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 12:29:13 am »
Thank you for the bump!!! Really great!!
Thx - g

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 12:43:36 am »
What a great idea.  I hadn't seen this before but have now copied it, thankyou.  :)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:02:23 pm »
Thank you so much for posting this Quirkyjo.  I sometimes need things like this pointed out to me.  I'm always skimming over recipes cause they require a tin of soup and I just never thought to make my own!
Last night I made your mushroom and red capsicum sauce and have frozen in four batches.  Today I used one batch as a base for the yummiest lamb casserole I think I've ever made.  The kids devoured it.  All I did was browned off lamb forequarter chops and removed.  Fried onion, celery and carrot and added back the lamb and juice.  Added the mushroom sauce, chicken stock, some of Teninas chicken stock powder, splash of white wine, squirt of tomato purée, some of Teninas garlic paste, sprigs of rosemary.....I think that was it!  Simmered for an hour and a half and served with baked potato and steamed sugar snap peas.  It was a beautiful meal and one I will make time and time again.
I'm looking forward to trying new combinations now.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 07:14:35 am »
Interesting report!!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57330301-10391704/bpa-levels-soar-after-eating-canned-soup-study/

I'm wondering does this apply to all canned foods . . ???

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:07 pm »
You're welcome, and I love the sound of your lamb chop recipe, yum!! Great idea to make a few batches and freeze too, good thinking! :)

Thank you so much for posting this Quirkyjo.  I sometimes need things like this pointed out to me.  I'm always skimming over recipes cause they require a tin of soup and I just never thought to make my own!
Last night I made your mushroom and red capsicum sauce and have frozen in four batches.  Today I used one batch as a base for the yummiest lamb casserole I think I've ever made.  The kids devoured it.  All I did was browned off lamb forequarter chops and removed.  Fried onion, celery and carrot and added back the lamb and juice.  Added the mushroom sauce, chicken stock, some of Teninas chicken stock powder, splash of white wine, squirt of tomato purée, some of Teninas garlic paste, sprigs of rosemary.....I think that was it!  Simmered for an hour and a half and served with baked potato and steamed sugar snap peas.  It was a beautiful meal and one I will make time and time again.
I'm looking forward to trying new combinations now.

Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:36 am »
Quirky Jo it is great to see you back on the forum!

Offline Lisel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 02:23:05 am »
Interesting report!!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57330301-10391704/bpa-levels-soar-after-eating-canned-soup-study/

I'm wondering does this apply to all canned foods . . ???

I believe it does.  There are a few organic brands that have BPA free cans but they are very expensive.  I've almost cut out all cans, apart from the emergency baked beans, as I don't want my kids exposed.

I too have printed this off as I automatically skip any recipe that calls for canned soup, but not anymore!
Vegetarian mum to carnivores DH, DD and twin DS's.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:55 am »
 Bumping . . some great soup suggestions from Jo . .

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
Re: Re: Can the Canned Soups! (with photo)
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:45 am »
Bumping :)