Author Topic: Halloumi and Mint Bread  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Halloumi and Mint Bread
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:18:07 am »
Halloumi and Mint Bread

This is based on a recipe from Paul Hollywood’s “100 Great Breads” book.  It’s a traditional Cypriot bread.

I served it with lamb chops, Greek salad and grilled halloumi.
I think it would be nice served with a BBQ or with a hearty soup in winter.

You could replace 100g of the white baker’s flour with 100g of white or wholemeal spelt flour if you like.

I think you could also replace around 50g of the halloumi with a stronger cheese like parmesan, for a stronger cheese flavour.

Ingredients:
300g warm water
40g olive oil
2 teaspoons dried yeast
500g white baker’s flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dried mint
250g halloumi (crumbled into pieces 1 to 2 cms in size)

Place all the ingredients (except the halloumi) into the TMX bowl.  Don’t let the salt touch the yeast.
Knead for 3 minutes
(check the dough whilst kneading and add a little more water if required)

Add the halloumi and knead for another 2 minutes.  The halloumi will break up a bit and be incorporated into the dough, but you will still be able to see small pieces of cheese thoughout.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with gladwrap and leave until it doubles in size, about an hour.  Or leave it in the TMX until it doubles in size.

Tip the dough onto a surface that has been sprinkled with flour and semolina.  Knead it by hand a bit and then shape into an oval.

Place the shaped dough onto a tray lined with baking paper and leave it again to double in size (1/2 to 1 hour).

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

Place the bread into the oven.  Put a small tray of water in the bottom of the oven, to help generate steam.

Bake for 30 minutes. 

Remove the tray of water from the oven and take the bread off of the baking tray and place the bread back into the oven, just on the oven rack (without the tray) and bake for a further 10 minutes or until it’s cooked.

Using Chookies method of checking if the bread is cooked - use a digital thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the bread is more than 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline troupie

• View Profile
Re: Halloumi and Mint Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:34:47 am »
Thanks for converting for us Katie; I was just reading the recipe and will get some cheese during the week.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:57:38 am »
Wow what a gorgeous loaf Katie.Thanks for the recipe :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:09:33 am »
Is the mint taste very strong Katie?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
You could definitely taste the mint Cookie, but it wasn't overpowering. The recipe did ask for 20g of dried mint. I put in 2 tablespoons and that didn't even register on my TM5 scales. I decided then that 20g of dried mint was way too much for my liking. You could put in more than the 2 tablespoons I used Cookie if you like, up to 20g I guess.

The recipe asked for 2 packets of halluomi, which was a very unhelpful measurement. I used 250g, but this was probably less than the "2 packets". Again I just decided this was enough for my liking.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:13:53 am »
Thanks, I often do that. Put what I think instead of the recipe. I've done it with quite a lot of Tenina's latest recipes and the amount of cheese.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:28:28 pm »
Thanks for posting Katie.  Could sub the mint for other herbs too.
Denise