Author Topic: Allergy Friendly Baby Food  (Read 10865 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Allergy Friendly Baby Food
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:20 am »
Hi all,
A friend has asked my advice about a 6 mth old baby who is lactose intolerant and has candida, as the mum doesn't know what to do about solids.  I'm not sure if she's breastfeeding (since baby's who are bottle fed before 4 mths usually develop allergies/food intolerances), or if she's started solids (probably, or else why all the problems?)...  So I'm wondering what first foods you mums have found are the best allergy-friendly foods to begin with.  Also, does anyone know of a good book or websites to help with food intolerances in babies, and advising on the right things to feed them?

My idea on it is that you should breastfeed as long as possible, you shouldn't give babies any dairy before a year old, and that you should avoid grains too - except maybe homemade rice cereal, where you've soaked the rice overnight to make it more digestible.  I think the best foods to start with are raw fruit/veges (mashed or pureed in TMX - eg. avocado, banana, apple, pear) or lightly steamed.  And some meat mixed in with veges.  I really detest bought baby food, but I understand sometimes mums just can't keep up and use a jar because they're out - I'm not up on the best brands these days since my youngest is 6 - any suggestions?  Organic, obviously, and check the labels for what's in it, and only use in emergencies!

Thanks!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Allergy Friendly Baby Food
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:03 am »
actually they're recommending introducing potential allergens (well, gluten in particular definitely, not 100% sure about others) BEFORE the baby turns 6months as that is when they are least likely to have a reaction. esepcially if bub is bf, which most babies are until 6 months.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:28:31 am »
I was unable to feed either of my girls so went the formula route.  When introducing solids, I went with the standard rice cereal made with formula, and lots of steamed vegies and fruit pureed, gradually introducing new foods and textures, and adding meat.

At about 12 months I switched from formula to cow's milk, and they did have yoghurt and cheese before that, but not a lot of other dairy.  Neither showed any signs of allergies so I just stay clear of additives etc as much as possible.

I did make my baby food in bulk and freeze it in small containers until they were ready to have the same as us but mashed.  This certainly makes it easier.

Would have loved to have my TMX back in those days!  I did waste a lot of money on bought baby foods for emergencies and when we were out.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:52:01 am »
actually they're recommending introducing potential allergens (well, gluten in particular definitely, not 100% sure about others) BEFORE the baby turns 6months as that is when they are least likely to have a reaction. esepcially if bub is bf, which most babies are until 6 months.

That's interesting Brazen, I hadn't heard that.  I thought they were saying you shouldn't give them anything but breastmilk til 6 mths, even up to 9 mths if possible, and that would make them less likely to have allergies!!  The one of my kids that has the most allergies was breast fed til 14 mths, but I did start giving him rice cereal with breast milk after 4 mths, as he cried a lot, and it seemed to help.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:21:40 am »
yes, that was the advice with my 3 but it has changed in the past 12-18 months, at least since rora's diagnosis, which is why i noticed it ;)

i think it's a WHO guideline but endorsed here now by whoever the health experts are (and should be coming from MCHN's etc)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »
Gosh are you sure Karen? That seems mighty strange before 6 months.  I know the WHO have been recommending exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months and breastfeeding supplemented by food until at least 2 years for as long as I can remember.

Jo I always found the woman's weekly Babies and Toddlers Cookbook really handy.  My sister has it at the moment so I can't remember the exact title, but it is a lovely cookbook (perhaps with a soft pink and blue cover?).  It explains in simple terms how to prepare fresh ingredients and in the consistency appropriate for your baby's age and development - puree, mash, small pieces etc.  It also give advice about freezing portions (in ice cube trays etc) and how to safely reheat. It has some really lovely and simple recipes using fresh food, many of which could be adapted for allergies.  :)

Oh and honey is another thing that bubs shouldn't be having in their first year. :)

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:46 pm »
Sorry not my field exactly, but we start our FAILSAFE diet today, so I recommend fedup.com.au for general food intolerance.

Russell

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:18:41 am »
Oh wow, to say the bub has problems must be formula fed and started solids already, fyi candida can be passed from mum to bub VERY easily so a day old baby can have candida internally already.  And have major food intolerances etc due to the gut systems.  Yes I take major offence to this coment.  My baby couldn't get onto solids due to gut imbalance that went systematic due to doctors who said it was mum not bub with problems, and needless to say now 21 months later he is still having those very issues rectified.

I feel sorry for your friend
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »
Sorry Lexi - didn't mean to offend!!  Just something I'd read.  Of course candida is something that is passed on easily, but I just couldn't figure why milk intolerance would show up so early, unless of course the baby had had milk before the recommended time.  I had trouble breastfeeding my last, and had to supplement feed with formula, but I used the goat's milk one and she seems okay with a bit of dairy now.

How did you work around the gut imbalance problems?  Do have any 'first solids' advice? thanks  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
My Cooking Blog

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:44:44 am »
Milk intolerance can be because of a number of things therefore can show up from day 1.  It can either be lactose intolerance (due to inflammation in the intestines and bowel) or cow milk protein intolerance.  Both mine had the cmpi.  Because doctors took so long to realise this I now have a 3 yo and 2 yo going the biomed path which is more holistic than mainstream.

www.mindd.org.au have great doctors for things like this.  With #2 we were told not to try solids until things like candida were under control.  How does she know bub has candida?  What formula does she have bub on?  We had to go Neocate until we had candida under control then went to goats as it's a lot easier on the digestive system than cow.  Plus diff protein.  Then we kind of follow the Failsafe diet so we can keep them low sals, low amines etc (www.fedup.com.au).  My 2yo is fructose intolerant as well and hides his pain/symptoms so we find him hard to nut out.  On Failsafe are lots of mums and special baby's group to help introduce foods slowly and carefully if suspecting intolerances and allergies.  Best advice is go real slow.  Go low salycilates and low amines so you don't overload their chemical system in their body then is lucky enough build up their tolerance levels.

As example my 3yo can only eat white foods, my 2yo can eat white and green.  But not all green, yet.
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:51 am »
Wow, thanks Lexi - that's really helpful... I'll forward it on to the lady.  It's actually a contact of a friend, through her website, so I don't know details, but I'm sure that information will help.  Thanks.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:09 am »
Lexi, sounds like you've been through the wringer.  Thanks for sharing your experiences, as I know it can be helpful to others.

For anyone else who has had to go the formula route, it can be a minefield trying to find on that suits your child.  From experience, some can cause constipation.  It was from talking to other mums that I found this out, so was able to switch and easily solve DD's problem.  It hadn't occurred to me that it could be the formula - looking back it's pretty obvious now.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:19 pm »
Formula can be tricky.  When we united with our eldest son we put him straight onto a lactose free formula as the majority of African bubs have great difficulty with lactose.  It prevented any dramas and he really thrived on it.  Our second son refused formula at eleven months when I had to wean him for medical reasons and he went straight onto cows milk without any problem.  I guess it's just a matter of finding what works for each individual little bub. :)

Offline lucjar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:20:40 am »
My littlest one has multiple food and environmental allergies....and I breastfed exclusively and delayed food until 5.5 months....his first allergy was to rice (yep, you read it right).  Sometimes allergies and intolerances are just something that happens.

My suggestions are as follows:
 - get the mother to have her gp recommend a dietian who has an interest in allergies/intolerances for both the mother and the  bub
 - encourage her to NOT panic but instead to be INFORMED about they are facing.

Food suggestions that I would recommend for first foods, would be organic baby rice cereal mixed with cooled boiled water.  As bub's needs increase, start adding vegetables like pumpkin mixed with puffed amaranth.  I firmly believe that the puffed amaranth got Aidan through the early years of his allergies with no failure to thrive issues.  I added puffed amaranth to everything I could.

I still add puffed amaranth to my rissole mixture instead of bread crumbs. 

I'm happy to share my knowledge and experiences if people want to discuss allergies further, but I think the most important thing to do is find a dietitian who understands.

Good Luck!