Author Topic: Bugger  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Bugger
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:10 am »
I just posted a question that I hadn`t finished. So I will start again. Recently I bought 500g container of Bulgarian white goat`s milk cheese and I have no idea what to do with it. So am asking for some help. If anyone knows what or how to use this up could you please let me know. Thanks Sandy

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Bugger
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:00:46 am »
I am assuming its a style of feta, so anything you use feta with.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:19:35 am »
It sounds delicious. It would go well with beetroot I should think. Perhaps on pizzas, salads  , melting on the top of soups.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
crumble it up and mix it with spinach and an egg or two to bind to make cheese and spinach pastries. they're always popular in my family.

Bonsai

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:30 pm »
It's pretty much the same as feta (maybe not so salty) - I used to be able to buy it in the local supermarket but haven't seen it for a while.  Tenina's feta tart from  Spin a Dinner has had rave reviews. Crumbling it over the top of almost anything savoury is nice (except not curry I think  :-\ ). It is good in sandwiches/wraps, with eggs for breakfast, used to give some zing to bean salads or couscous or....

probably quite nice with fruits such as peaches or watermelon (actually, watermelon and feta makes a really quick nice salad, maybe add some baby spinach or some nuts as well)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »
If it is the same as the somewhat salty Bulgarian goat cheese that I find at the local middle eastern market in a can, it is very good topping baked apples or apple pie or compote.
The combination of sweet/salty flavors is very tasty to me.

The stuff I get is not exactly crumbly - I cut it into slices and then cubes to make it easier to distribute over the top of a pie.

I remove the pie from the oven while there is still 10 minutes on the timer, apply the cheese to the top and return it to the oven for the remainder of the time. 
The cheese won't actually melt but will soften enough to cling to the apples.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:48 pm »
And you can fry it . Love it. Always have some in the fridge. Last a long long time.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:56:50 am »
Thanks everyone, have got some great ideas for using it. Andiesenji could you post your apple pie that uses the cheese please. It sounds very nice. Thanks again Sandy

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:17:21 pm »
It's just a plain single crust apple pie - I don't really have a recipe as I've been knocking these out for so many years…

If I had to write it down it would be:  Approximately
Cored, peeled and sliced apples (about 8 cups) tossed with sugar 1 cup (I use a sugar/Splenda blend 1/2 cup) a little salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. mace, dash of nutmeg, a dash of pepper and a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch or powdered tapioca or other thickener.

For myself I prefer Golden Delicious apples which are naturally sweeter than the Granny Smith apples which are specified in so many recipes for apple pie.  A more tart apple would need more sugar - I used to use half white sugar and half brown sugar before I developed diabetes.
Adjust the amount of sugar for your taste. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/