Author Topic: My Favorite Quiche  (Read 80778 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
My Favorite Quiche
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:27 am »
My favorite Quiche.
This is the Quiche that I have been making for more than 20 years. I have just converted the recipe to TMX. This means less dishes to wash up, and easy. It is not low fat, but is equally good made with low fat cheese, low fat milk and cream. It has no pastry crust, and I cut the fat off the bacon. This served 3 adults and 2 children, with salad for lunch yesterday.

4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 cup S.R. flour
4 strips of bacon.chopped.
1 onion.
120g. grated tasty cheese.

Plus 3/4 cup of any other vegetable, such as mushrooms, asparagus, red or green peppers, corn.

Garnish - parsley, chives or olives.

Spray with oil, a flat baking dish or quiche dish.
set oven to 200oC.

Zap onion in TMX bowl and scrape down sides.
Add bacon and cook on 100o for 5 mins, speed 1.
Add additional vegetables and cook on reverse for 2 mins, speed 1.
Let cool for 5 mins.
Add all the remaining ingredients, and mix on reverse for 10 seconds.
Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle top with chopped parsley and chives, or chopped olives or whatever garnish you like.

Bake at 200oC for 3/4 of an hour, test to see that it is cooked. Give another 10 -15 mins if necessary. Under cook if it is to be reheated.
The time depends on the dish it is baked in.

members' comments

JD - Absolutely delightful - thanks so much for getting around to converting this one for us all.  I wanted to use what I had in the house so added corn, peas, bamboo shoots & spinach and thawed out small leftover packs of ham & bacon.  Good enough to serve up to anyone.
Have made 24 mini quiches, cooked 180oC for 23 minutes.  Mixture enough for a small 15cm dish, cooked for 35 minutes.

JenniCB - I needed something quick and easy to make and this one really was! So much easier even than a regular quiche with crust even. We had it with a salad and really enjoyed it....including fussy Miss 3 and Master 7!! I thought it was even more yummy cold the next day.

CC -  we loved it, quote from my DH "it's so light". Thanks Chookie for sharing such a superb recipe.

Snoozie - I did very simple and just added corn and sprinkled with dried parsley. Very pleased.

cookie - It was lovely cold for lunch the next day too. I love the way it forms a base-like the impossible pies do. Delicious thanks Chookie.

Chookie - salmon version. Drained a 400g tin of pink salmon and added to the basic mix. No bacon. Added plenty of chives and parsley, nice cold.

CP - forgot to add the eggs  :-)) Didn't look too good but it tasted so delicious and can you believe that there were no leftovers???

Merrilyn - It was delicious.  Made it with bacon and asparagus and served with a big plate of steamed veggies. No leftovers.

mcmich - it was lovely. DH said it was the best he has ever had.

Kulsha - I made this with bacon, mushroom and finely chopped broccoli! The house smelt yummy while it was cooking. Mine looked a little darker than the other photos and maybe a need to use a smaller/deeper pie dish next time. Tastes like quiche should and a welcome change to zucchini slice which I make over and over.

Bubbles - DH quote "This is the nicest quiche I've ever had and I'm not usually a fan of quiche but this is delicious". Will be making this again definitely.

djinni373 - Made this in individual portions for a lunch with friends today. Bacon, corn, peas, capsicum and shredded kale with tomato and parsley on top. So easy and soooo good. Thank you Chookie an absolute classic. It makes 8 individual quiches each 12 mm in diameter.

flavourofthemonth - I made this to send with my son to their first cricket match of the season. It was a big hit for afternoon tea. Think I'll be making a lot more this summer as we have chooks so plenty of eggs.

Yvette - yummy, enjoyed by everyone which is a bonus.

Wonder - it was great. A little to cheesy for me so I'll cut that back next time but easy and tasty and the kids enjoyed it.

Cecilia - It was easy to make with not too many ingredients.  Like JD, I added a bit of oil when cooking up the onion as I was using up old ham.  Thank you for sharing.  I love that this one is not too salty and makes up such a lot.  

kezza - I've made this recipe quite a few times - it is a real gem.  Thanks chookie. Everyone I have made it for enjoys it and you never have to make it the same way twice.  Just use up whatever is in the fridge and voila a perfect meal.

csrobinson - it really is a very adaptable recipe. I didn't have any cheese so I added in a couple more eggs, used buttermilk instead of milk (just made a huge batch of butter), no bacon but added a big tin of tuna and I used about a cup of zucchini. Next time I will try some sliced tomatoes on top.

Brumington - I made these in muffin trays filled with mushrooms, peas, caramelised garlic paste and thyme. I had no bacon so they are a vegetarian version too. Absolutely delicious. The mix made 12 muffin sized quiches and took 20 mins to cook. A good lunch for DH to take to work.

blackwood - This recipe is fantastic! I can see where it got it's name from...it really is my favourite quiche! I've made it quite a few times now. It's a great one to cook if you have unexpected visitors come over as the ingredients are fairly standard (I generally have milk, cheese, cream, eggs, and veggies in the fridge) and you can just use up any veggies in the fridge that needs using!
The cooking time certainly depends on what dish you are cooking it in. If I'm in a hurry, I put some into muffin trays and they only take  about 25 mins to cook. Perfect!

JulieO - Chookie, I made this using up bits and bobs of veg (more than 3/4 cup). Was so tasty, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:25:26 am by judydawn »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: My Favorite Quiche
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:29:01 am »
 :D This is the same quiche recipe I use too chookie....and make often.
Funny, I still make it by chopping and mixing with a spoon........duh.....why had I not thought to use the TM  ???
Old habits I guess  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:32:47 am »
An instant recommendation, thanks Maddy and thank you Chookie for sharing one of your old recipes with us.  Oldies are goldies as far as I am concerned.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:35:14 am »
Oldies are goldies as far as I am concerned.  :-*

Oh goodie JD - means I must be a goldie   :D :D :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:46 am »
Are you admitting to being an oldie Katya, for some reason I thought you were a young buck  ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
Me too.

Lovely quiche Chookie thanks. We have at least one quiche a week with all different sorts of fillings.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:01 am »
Are you admitting to being an oldie Katya, for some reason I thought you were a young buck  ;D ;D

That's cheered me up JD....  I'm not one for giving away my age but let's just say I've been collecting my pension for a few years now.  Not exactly over the hill  yet, but certainly somewhere near the top of it  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:50 am »
Join the rest of us Katya, there are a few around that age or a bit older. Can't let the young ones have all the fun ;) ;)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »
Thanks Chookie for the conversion - like Maddy in both ways I too have this recipe and make it often AND minus TMX - can't justify such a decision though (given that thermie is always the right hand man  in the kitchen!).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:35:02 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:27:33 am »
I think the big saving is in the washing up.  Also I HATE chopping onion.  It is a good one when so many people make it.   When I have a Bread demo at home I always make this for our lunch.   I make it the day before and reheat it,  serve with salad and fresh rolls.  Something sweet to follow. ;D  Well afterall everyone is working hard. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Favourite Quiche
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:07 am »
Thought I'd make this one for tomorrow's main meal Chookie but the aromas were wafting through the house and I just had to have a piece, plus one to take around to Mum whilst I was at it.  Absolutely delightful - thanks so much for getting around to converting this one for us all.  I wanted to use what I had in the house so added corn, peas, bamboo shoots & spinach and thawed out small leftover packs of ham & bacon.  Good enough to serve up to anyone  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:36:47 am by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:54 am »
So glad you liked it, Judy.  Good for using up the left overs.  Even the GS who will not eat many things , ate a good sized slice on Sunday. Looks good in the Photo.  Thanks for posting.

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:19 am »
Thanks for this one Chookie. My hubby is away atm so I'm left looking after 3 kids aged from 3yrs to 9yrs. Tonight i just needed something quick and easy to make and this one really was! So much easier even than a regular quiche with crust even. We had it with a salad and really enjoyed it....including fussy Miss 3 and Master 7!! Just a quick question though, does anyone use oil when it says to cook the bacon and onion?? I am so used to adding oil before sauteeing that I was a bit stumped. I used some anyway but then had to drain it off because it all looked too mushy. What do you think? Thanks, Jen
Mum to 5 gorgeous kids, 3 bio aged 22,20 and 15, and 2 adopted aged 7 and 2.

Living in Western Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
I used some oil Jen because I always cut all the fat off my bacon - figured it had to have something to saute in ;
Not much though and there was no need to drain it off afterwards.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 06:12:06 am »
Tonights dinner. I'll put the pastry I made in the freezer. This is healthier. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/