Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9037696 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #1095 on: July 24, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »
I can confirm that you DO NOT make peanut butter from raw peanuts very successfully!!! :( Maybe that is just me??
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #1096 on: July 25, 2009, 02:35:32 am »
I believe the peanuts need to be dry roasted to have the best outcome for peanut butter faffa.. used to be one of my jobs at the organic shop - making and packing it.

You can leave out the salt though if you wish. :)

Yesterday's efforts of pizza bases, tomato sauce and pasta were well received yesterday.... thinking we're on a roll! :D

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #1097 on: July 25, 2009, 02:52:56 am »
My peanut butter was really oily before I had even added any oil - is that normal.  The nuts I used were roasted in oil and didn't grind up very well (certainly not like powder).  I have managed to source some raw peanuts now so I might try dry roasting them myself first before making them into peanut butter.
Chelsea  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 25, 2009, 03:12:41 am »
Cooks Illustrated had a good recipe this month for Swedish Meatballs.  I played around with the recipe abit, adapted it to the TM, and served it over pasta made with the TM..   :)

You can find the recipe and more step by step pictures by Clicking Here

Hi UnConundrum, just browsing some earlier recipes on the forum and noticed with your recipe there is no quantity given for the amount of ground nutmeg - presuming it is .25 teaspn like the allspice and black pepper but would appreciate confirmation of this.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 25, 2009, 10:21:53 am »
lol I figured after about 10 seconds  :-)) :-)) that I had put the wrong nuts in the bowl - they go to a powder. Tried to resurrect it with adding roasted nuts and more oil - was a dismal failure.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 25, 2009, 11:10:40 am »
Thought I'd convert another recipe from Antonio Carluccio's Passion for Pasta cookbook today. I had done the Pasta e Fagioli from the EDC in my earlier days on here after Brazen said her family loved it.  We didn't like it at all so I wondered if Antonio's recipe would be any better.  There were just a few differences between the recipes but this one was his version of a peasant soup. Sorry to say, still don't like it :P :P :P  I did enjoy the crumpets we had with it though plus the smoothie of strawberries, pineapple, banana, watermelon and oranges. 

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #1101 on: July 25, 2009, 12:19:39 pm »
lol I figured after about 10 seconds  :-)) :-)) that I had put the wrong nuts in the bowl - they go to a powder. Tried to resurrect it with adding roasted nuts and more oil - was a dismal failure.

I was just going off the recipe in the EDC where it said if you want smooth peanut butter keep going until it is powdery.  You probably wanted crunchy and I wanted smooth!!!
Chelsea  ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1102 on: July 26, 2009, 03:45:10 am »
Thought I'd convert another recipe from Antonio Carluccio's Passion for Pasta cookbook today. I had done the Pasta e Fagioli from the EDC in my earlier days on here after Brazen said her family loved it.  We didn't like it at all so I wondered if Antonio's recipe would be any better.  There were just a few differences between the recipes but this one was his version of a peasant soup. Sorry to say, still don't like it :P :P :P  I did enjoy the crumpets we had with it though plus the smoothie of strawberries, pineapple, banana, watermelon and oranges. 

You're not alone JD - I don't like it either.   :P

Even for demos I try to steer people towards Risotto as I really don't believe the Pasta e Fagioli does the TMX justice.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #1103 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:09 am »

You're not alone JD - I don't like it either.   :P

Even for demos I try to steer people towards Risotto as I really don't believe the Pasta e Fagioli does the TMX justice.

We love the Pasta e Fagioli, my kids would eat it every day, but I do change the recipe a bit.  I use cannelini beans (we didn't like the borlotti beans) and I add tomato paste, and make it more 'soupy' and we dip our spelt bread rolls into it - yum!  This is my converted recipe:

1. Mince 1 small red chilli (opt) and 2 cloves garlic for 5 secs on sp 7.

2. Scrape down sides, add 40g olive oil and saute for 2 mins sp 1.

3. Add a large celery stalk with lots of leaves (quartered), 1 can cannelini beans (drained), 2 fresh tomatoes (pref. vine-ripened), 2 Tblspns vege stock concentrate, and 4 Tblspns tomato paste.  Pulverise for 15-20 seconds on sp 6.

4. Add 900g water and cook for 10 mins at 100 degrees sp 1.

5. Add 250g gluten free pasta (we like Orgran Rice and Corn Tortelli), and cook for 8 mins, 100 degrees, reverse sp soft.

6. Tip it straight into your thermoserver and put the lid on, then clean the bowl and grind the parmesan (about 30g).  The pasta will meanwhile be soaking up some of the juice, to be a lovely thick soupy consistency.  You can either stir in the parmesan, or let each person sprinkle their own on top.  At demos, I generally stir it in unless someone is dairy free, as it makes it taste really good, and thickens it slightly.  Serve with hot spelt bread rolls and butter (if you are not dairy free!).
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #1104 on: July 26, 2009, 08:24:53 am »
jo, last time i made it i chucked a few old parsnips from my fridge in - YUM! if you like parsnips try it, you'll love it!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 26, 2009, 08:45:02 am »
Antonio's version only has 1 tomato but 2 potatoes and a carrot and he uses chicken stock plus 200g small pasta which makes it more soupy.  I thought the added vegies and chicken stock would make a difference but guess you either love it or hate it.  I tried to convince DH it was good for him but I think you also have to enjoy eating food or what's the point of eating :-)) :-)) :-))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:06:15 am by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 26, 2009, 08:57:17 am »
I LOVE my Thermomix!! Miss 8 in the kitchen baking her own chocolate cake! with chocolate sauce to boot! hope she remembers what I taught her - "All good cooks clean up!"

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #1107 on: July 26, 2009, 09:02:31 am »
just made a dairy free, gluten free version of the apple tea cake, yum
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 26, 2009, 09:05:05 am »
I don't like your chances nay-nay :D :D :D  Still, it is so nice to see the young ones in the kitchen - I was never given that chance when I was young. I made sure my girls learnt to cook though.  I can remember a couple of points from a very old magazine re newly weds and cooking back in the 'old days'.  One asked if you mashed the potato before cooking it and the other cooked 2 large leaves of spinach for her and her DH and ended up with a spoonful each :D :D :D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1109 on: July 26, 2009, 11:44:13 am »

We love the Pasta e Fagioli, my kids would eat it every day, but I do change the recipe a bit.  I use cannelini beans (we didn't like the borlotti beans) and I add tomato paste, and make it more 'soupy' and we dip our spelt bread rolls into it - yum!  This is my converted recipe:

Thanks Jo
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog