Author Topic: Belgium Lemon Teacake  (Read 102651 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Belgium Lemon Teacake
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:44:36 am »
This is for Cookie1 and her brother!
Base
1 cup S.R. flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
60g butter
1 egg

Filling
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
60g butter

Preheat oven to 180
Cream butter and sugar,15 seconds , speed 5,  add egg and mix 15 seconds speed 5.
Add flour and mix :: 30 seconds.   This should result in a crumbly mix which will hold together when pressed.
Press 2/3 of this mixture into a buttered pie dish,  pour in hot lemon filling and sprinkle remaining 1/3 of base mix over the filling.

For filling -  place all ingredients in T.M bowl and zap to combine (no need to wash out bowl just scrape it out well)
Then cook for 6 minutes Varoma reverse 1.      The mixture should be creamy in texture.

Bake for 25 minutes.      Serves 8       Equally nice made with limes.

NOTE.
Some members have had difficulty spreading the pastry mixture on top. I think this is because of the extra moisture added with a large egg.  To compensate for this, when you remove 2/3 of the pastry for the bottom layer, leave 1/3 in the bowl and add an additional tablespoon of flour and turbo . It should look like bread crumbs.  This is easy to sprinkle on top.

Members' comments
Chelsea - I had some leftover kiss biscuit dough so I lined my pie dish with it and made the filling from this recipe.  It is just divine!!!!  My TMX base burnt slightly making the filling but other than that it is perfect.  I will be making this again (and again).
Thanks Chookie!  

courton - Just made it and couldn't help tasting a bit. Delish! Had enough for 6 ramekins. Easy to make and will definitely make again.
I made this to take to a friend's place on Sunday and they enjoyed it so much I had to give these two Non- TMX friends the recipe converted back the old fashioned way!

cookie - It is and it tastes delicious. Brother gave it 5 ***** (out of 5)  

MJ - Oh yum, yum, yum!! And so easy!

rainbow -  it's a winner, very easy to make.

Lainie - This cake is our favourite winter dessert, warm with cream or ice-cream - or both!  Those who love a strong lemony flavour will enjoy this one. Thanks for a great recipe.

Carolyn J - Just made this and had a sneaky taste.....YUM YUM YUM!!

CC - DH reckons this is one of the best desserts that he has ever eaten.

KarenH -  it was delicious!  My mix for the base wasn't crumbly at all, it was quite sticky - but we used a home-grown egg that was quite large, so maybe it was a bit wet.  And the mixture didn't really crumble over the top - I just sprinkled over dollops of dough, but they rose up while baking and looked really good.  Tasted even better!

Chookie - Karen,  this happens to me sometimes.  I think maybe the butter warms up.  I do what you did and just drop lumps on top but it seems to work OK.

Coops - This was lovely! Waited till it had cooled then cut it up like a slice and everyone loved it, thanks!

flavourofthemonth - Made this for dessert last night as well as well as Impossible Coconut Pie http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=586.0  We all agreed that this Belgian Lemon teacake was our favourite.

DJ - A BIG HIT! Misread instructions and threw everything in at once. Just used speed 2 - 3 to get to crumb stage. Need lower oven temp, the edges caught before end of cooking time. 1 lemon was mouldy so added  1 T orange juice to make up 1/4 cup.
Served with my custard sauce. http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9979.0
Thanks a million. I have also made this with lemon curd from fridge, yum! It was lovely cold too.

DJ Another variation - Used 3/4 of mix on base, layered with plum and a little Demerara sugar. Added into remaining 1/3 a sprinkle of ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon, coconut, flaked almonds, porridge oats and sunflower seeds.  Blitzed on speed 5 for a few secs til like crumble mix. It took longer than the lemon version to bake.

JD - I finally made this recipe - shame on me for not doing so sooner Chookie.  I made it in a 20cm cake tin then wondered how I was going to get it out but easy peasy.  Placed a small side plate over the cake and upended the tin until it fell out, surprisingly well too.  I must have greased it well enough but did think later that I should have lined the bottom of the cake tin.  Didn't have any cream to go with it so whipped up a batch of custard and it was just lovely.  Thanks Chookie, your recipes are great.

Chookie - Made 2 today,  one with apple and rhubarb and a small one with Xmas fruit mince.  Both good.

chrissa - My crumble wasn't a crumble, it was soft and sticky.  My butter had softened so I think chilled butter might be the way to go (as pointed out in a previous post that I didn't see until it was in the oven). I didn't have a deep pie dish so I did it in a 8x8 cake tin.  It's cooked right through but is very cakey without much filling  I should have used a smaller tin and maybe increased the amount of filing.  When I was pouring the filing in, I actually went back to the recipe to see if I had left something out because there wasn't much volume. Tastes good though.

Kimmyh - Love this recipe. Served it warm with cream. Just lovely and so easy.
I've made this and stirred 80g passionfruit pulp through the lemon mixture before pouring over cake base. We loved the different taste. This is a very versatile recipe.

JuliaC83 - I didn't have an appropriate dish to cook it in, so I made double quantity of base and filling and used a silicone cake tin.
I think I needed to cook it slightly longer to make it a little more firm, however it was delicious regardless.

deedub -  Definitely a winner, and so easy too.

funnyfarm2 - Great to find a recipe that is different but still very simple to make....and super delicious. I made this in a small cake tin lined with baking paper. Everyone in the family loved it. Will definitely be joining my favourite recipe collection. I love the lemon filling, but am tempted to try other fruit fillings as suggested. Thanks for a great recipe.

Mab19 - funnyfarm, this recipe works well with just about any filling.  I made it some weeks ago and used grated apple and some strawberry jam and it was delicious.  I used 1 apple grated and about 2 tablespoons jam.   Everyone liked it. My favourite is the lemon filling tho.

BZB - The tea cake is amazing, Chookie. A new favourite. A tad too sweet for me so will reduce sugar next time. A bit too burnt on the sides. I baked at 180c ff, 20 mins. Perhaps less time or lower temp next time. There is definitely a next time...

JD - The big one only bakes for 25 minutes BZB so for your individual ramekins they would need a lot less.  Just keep your eye on them after 10 minutes whilst they bake next time, they may only need 10-15 minutes.  Perhaps try 160o f/f too.

jeninwa - very yummy.

Thermesa - Delicious with lime.

kmw - Made this last night & yum a real winner, even with me not following the directions & putting flour in first.
Made this again as we had DH parents over & was a winner. My MIL had seconds & she is not a desert lover. Followed the instructions this time & still didn't end up with crumble but it doesn't seem to matter.

Dublin Girl in Oz - Great recipe. Thanks.

shan k - Wow -  it is so delicious!! Looked perfect and so easy to make. Thank you - I will definitely be making this again.

GF - I made this yesterday to take to a neighbour who had invited me for dinner.  It was served up with the beautiful strawberries, blueberries and yoghurt neighbour had already prepared.  Match made in heaven!!  This was the first time I'd tried this and was quite surprised at just how quick and simple it was to make - and the taste . . !!!! Thanks a million, Chookie!!

Wonder - I made this a few nights ago and loved it. I don't think I had enough flour because my mixture was very wet and was a bit fiddly to get in the pie dish, it didn't seem to take away from the finished dish but just a little more fiddly. Will definitely be making again. I don't eat many desserts but really enjoyed this and it was just as nice warmed the next night so will definitely be on my make again list. We tried it cold but much preferred it warmed a little in the microwave, 20 - 30 secs was enough just to take the chill off.

GF - That happened with me, too, Wonder.  To get the crumbly effect I just kept sprinkling with flour and working gently with my fingers until it resembled what I saw in the photos that were posted on this thread.  Like you, I think I just didn't use enough flour to begin with.  A wonderful little cake.. And I'm making it again tonight!! A firm family favourite - my only regret is that I left it this long to make it in the first place!!!

Uni - made it late afternoon , just warm for after dinner. a very easy and quick cake. I also added extra flour for the base about 1/4 cup more.

thermo18 - Finally made this, so quick and easy and best of all, delicious.

Wonder - Chookie, do you normally put the base mixture up the sides of your dish as well as the bottom? That's what I've been doing but looking at Uni's photo it looks like it's just on the bottom.

JD & Kimmyh - only put it on the bottom.

Chookie - Wonder,  I cook this in a dish with a curved bottom.  Like a big saucer. No sides.

Trudy - I love this cake.  Always turns out just great!!!

DJ - Double quantity of mix as I found large jar of pears. Put flaked almonds in crumble bit and blitzed and then put more almonds on top. Voted a hit by all.
Have also made with a sliced eating apple in the middle, and some oats and almonds added to topping and given a few seconds on speed 5 before putting on top.
Also made using up chookies  lemon custard sauce. Put some old nuts and oats in the crumble topping. Our visitor loved it.
Another variation - Apple and blackberry from freezer. More fruit, base and top spread thinner.

MJ - I thought mine was going to be a disaster as the pastry was very, very sticky - large egg. But, it was fine. I used spelt flour and rapadura sugar, so it looks darker, but it's yummy. I think I'd leave the egg out of the pastry next time. I have a similar recipe for apple streusel slice and there's no egg in that pastry. I also added the lemon zest to the filling.

obbie - what can I say but Yummy. Fast easy to make, will make this a lot. I still have lemon and lime juice frozen.

BZB - Made this fab cake in the airfryer. 180c 10 mins, 160c 10 mins. Sooooo good!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:59:44 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Belgium Lemon Teacake
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »
Thanks Chookie - love citrus cakes - not so rich.  Also, good to have you back from nanna duties.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:13:49 am »
Thanks Chookie. He will think I am so wondereful. I can tell him that Chookie gave them to me!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:07:07 am »
mmm- sounds yummo & very easy. My type of cooking. Thanks chookie
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:09:11 am »
I had some leftover kiss biscuit dough so I lined my pie dish with it and made the filling from this recipe.  It is just divine!!!!  My TMX base burnt slightly making the filling but other than that it is perfect.  I will be making this again (and again  ;)).
Thanks Chookie!     

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
Just made it and couldn't help tasting a bit. Delish! Had enough for 6 ramekins. Easy to make and will definitely make again.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:37:15 am »
Glad you like it.  It is a little gem,   not many know about it ;D ;D ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »
I know about it Chookie!  So does my hips!  Yummo!!! ;D

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:10:18 pm »
this is definately on the list for weekend trials. Looks SO easy!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:41 am »
It is and it tastes delicious. Brother gave it 5 ***** (out of 5)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:38:08 am »
Has Russell got this in the book?  Sorry, too lazy to check right now  :-)) :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:29 pm »
I voted for it today in the voting thread.  ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 03:27:45 pm »
Oh yum, yum, yum!! And so easy!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:33 am »
I tried this last night and its a winner, very easy to make.  I took some photos so will try to post them  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:16 am »
Rainbow,  this looks exactly as it should,  and you are very clever posting photos.