Author Topic: Pear & Blueberry Cake - with photos  (Read 11756 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Pear & Blueberry Cake - with photos
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:39:15 am »
PEAR & BLUEBERRY CAKE
75g butter, softened (I softened in microwave for about 1 min on defrost power)
150g caster sugar
1 egg
160g SR flour
85g buttermilk  
450g can pear halves, drained and syrup reserved*
2 cups frozen blueberries*
icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven 180°C.     Grease 20cm deep round cake pan (I used a spring form tin.)  Line base with baking paper.  

Place the softened butter into TM bowl and mix for 5 secs speed 5.  Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add sugar and mix to combine for 15 secs/speed 5.  
Scrape down sides of bowl and mix again for 5 seconds/speed 5.  Scrape bowl.

Add egg and mix approx 10 secs/speed 5. Scrape bowl, then again for 15 secs/speed 5, scrape down.

Add flour and buttermilk and blend for 20 secs/speed 5. Scrape down, then 7secs/speed 5.
Pour/scrape into pan.

Cut 4 of the halved pears into quarters lengthwise and arrange on top of the batter, then sprinkle a good amount of blueberries over the surface.

Bake in the oven for approx 45 mins**.    Clean TM bowl.

Stand cake for 5 mins then turn onto wire rack/undo collar from springform tin if using.  Allow to cool slightly.

Place remaining berries, pears and reserved syrup into a clean TM bowl.  Process until smooth.

Dust warm cake with icing sugar and pour a little of the sauce over each slice.

Notes:

*I could only get a 800g tin and so used 4 halved pears sliced up for the top and a couple for the sauce.
Didn’t measure the blueberries, took a good couple of handfuls out of the frozen pack, same when I made the sauce.

**took longer than 45 mins, but can’t be more precise as I was cooking tea at the same time and didn’t keep an eye on the time.

This turned out really lovely, a crispy top and sides and the cake inside was soft and moist.

Could also serve with warm custard before drizzling the sauce on the top.

This is only the second cake I've converted and made in the TM and took notes as I was going along, so please keep that in mind if you make this.  Someone with more knowledge may be able to tweak my instructions, but I must say I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

You can see the slices of pears that have sunk into the cake,

Before pouring over the sauce,

members' comments

CP - Just made this, and no doubt it has to have 10/10. The cake mixture is light in texture and the pears and blueberries meld well together to give a very delectable cake worthy of putting on the MIL's table. Berry lovely fruity sauce to pour over the top. "Would also be a nice dessert served with a bit of cream" said DS17. I used a 410g can of pear halves. Thank you JO, your recipe is very much appreciated.

Nay-nay - Yum! Yum! (As I'm licking the last crumbs off my lips!) This was such a nice light batter. Used frozen mixed berries  - Hubby and kids loved it. I just had it as a tea cake on it's own without sauce but with coffee of course! and yes Julie it was an hour to cook. I just put all ingredients in together - whizzed it for about 10-15 sec and poured it in the cake tin. Thanks!

sourpuss - Lovely cake JulieO. I just used fresh Beurre Bosc pears, peeled and sliced in the cake and served it with a dollop of pure cream. People thought I was very talented!!!! I'll try it with your sauce next time - soon, cos pears are so cheap at the moment. Thanks for the recipe.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:07:42 pm by judydawn »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Pear & Blueberry Cake - with photos
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:40 am »
YUMMO!! Will try!  ;)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:49:12 am »
Beautiful!!
I might try it with the bag of frozen mixed berries I have lying around.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:59:10 am »
Looks great!!!! 

Trudy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:12 am »
Thanks Julie. Do your family know how lucky they are? That looks lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:42 am »
Just made this, and no doubt it has to have 10/10. The cake mixture is light in texture, and the pears and blueberries meld well together to give a very delectable cake worthy of putting on the MIL's table. Berry lovely fruity sauce to pour over the top. "Would also be a nice dessert served with a bit of cream" said DS17. I used a 410g can of pear halves. Thank you JO, your recipe is very much appreciated.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:49:27 am »
CP I'm so glad you liked it, my husband had a bit of cream drizzled over the sauce too and said it was beautiful.  Was nice the next day too, I love the sauce.  ;D  Thanks for letting me know.  :D

Thanks girls for your nice comments.  :D

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:24:40 am »
Yum! Yum! (As I'm licking the last crumbs off my lips!) This was such a nice light batter. Used frozen mixed berries  - Hubby and kids loved it. I just had it as a tea cake on it's own without sauce but with coffee of course! and yes Julie it was an hour to cook. I just put all ingredients in together - whizzed it for about 10-15 sec and poured it in the cake tin. Thanks! ;)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:24 am »
Nay-Nay, thanks for letting me know about the time.  Must try the "whole lot in together" approach next time I make it.  Thanks for the review.  :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:15:06 am »
Great recipe and pics as ever - hope that you're on a roll now and more to come ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:47 am »
Thanks Thermomixer, am feeling back to normal now and am enjoying getting back into it  ;D

Offline sourpuss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »
Lovely cake JulieO. I just used fresh Beurre Bosc pears, peeled and sliced in the cake, and served it with a dollop of pure cream. People thought I was very talented!!!!
I'll try it with your sauce next time - soon, cos pears are so cheap at the moment.
Thanks for the recipe.
Heidemarie

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04:07 pm »
I'm glad you liked it, thanks for reviewing.  :D