Author Topic: Greg Malouf's Onion Jam  (Read 12607 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Greg Malouf's Onion Jam
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:37:06 am »
Onion Jam

Ingredients:

5 medium red onions, peeled & quartered
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
250g dry sherry
250g tawny port
50g currants, soaked in an extra 50g sherry
freshly gound pepper

Method:

Place onions into TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down after 5 seconds. Add oil and salt and cook for 4 minutes at 90°C on speed 1.

Once onion has started to soften, add sherry and port, and cook for 20 minutes at 100°C on Speed 1 with the MC out of the lid and basket over the lid.

At this stage, add the currants and increase the temperature for 30 minutes at Varoma temperature on Speed 1, with the basket over the lid.

Once they are cooked add the pepper and cook for 3 minutes at 90°C on speed 1.

Use to accompany dishes, including cous cous with vegetables.

This recipe is based on Greg Malouf's recipe in Arabesque. It is an accompaniment to a vegetable cous cous.

The jam matures and develops more flavour after a few days covered in the fridge.

The Thermomix does a wonderful job of constantly stirring to prevent the onion sticking.

Sorry to those who have been patiently waiting for this recipe. (Especially Amanda  :-* )

Originally posted here: http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2009/08/thermomix-onion-jam.html
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Greg Malouf's Onion Jam
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:59:15 pm »
I missed this recipe here but found it in the Meat on the Menu book and made it yesterday. A really fabulously flavoured jam that was a hit at our mothers day bbq today. Most guests used it as an accompaniment to their meat and all who had it really liked it.
For me there was a strange sense of adventure standing over the TMX pouring all that alcohol in  ;D ;D ;D
My onions were very large so only used 3 but I also found they were a little bitter so added a teaspoon of brown sugar towards the end of the cooking time.
Thanks for the recipe Thermomixer & congrats on it's well deserved inclusion in the new book
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:25 am »
With all that alcohol in it VHJ, who wouldn't enjoy it  :D :D :D  What about the kids, did they get to taste it too?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:05 am »
With all that alcohol in it VHJ, who wouldn't enjoy it  :D :D :D  What about the kids, did they get to taste it too?

The kids watched with open mouths as I poured in the alcohol.  ;D ;D then spent the next half an hour saying "it stinks Mum"
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:06 am »
Thanks Thermomixer,  will certainly make this.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:18:46 pm »
Bumping this wondering about it for our Christmas hampers. Anyone who has made it - how long does it keep in the fridge please.  Are the currants essential, know a few people who don't like currants, sultanas etc.

Offline Ostara

• View Profile
    • Thermocauldron
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:09 am »
You could leave them out and use any other dried fruit or else a tablespoon of brown sugar instead to add a sweet note. Dried cranberries would give a lovely festive hint to it!
Blogging about my adventures at http://thermocauldron.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:54 am »
Thanks Ostara. Have been looking at a few recipes on the net today for onion jam, quite a variation on this these out there. Some say it will last a week in the fridge, others 3 weeks.