Author Topic: Recipes for travelling with the Thermomix-caravan/camping etc.  (Read 23385 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes for travelling with the Thermomix-caravan/camping etc.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 05:30:12 am »
Thanks Judy. I'm always ready to check these sorts of things out. I saw a different book in Dymocks several weeks ago and it was nearly all casseroles and risottos. TMX food.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 11:55:49 am »
Ok folks still working on this an have found the perfect accompaniment to the TN when camping!  Yes its a Cobb BBQ system, beautifully styled and technologically sound just like the TM but it will enable you bake, make pizza and do all the things that you do in the oven when you have been using your TM at home.
For those who are going to respond about weight, size etc. Taking the TM camping is easy and not an issue except if you go back packing in which case you probably wont want to carry the TM or a Cobb but for us car based campers who do not tow a caravan and therefore don't have an oven this is an excellent coast effective solution.
I will keep you posted how we get on with this during the summer as we head off on our holidays.

Hi timfulford,
Just wondering if you or anyone else could fill me in on how you use the TM whilst camping, regarding the wattage etc,  do you cook in it or just use it for the non cooking features. I would like to take it with me but try to stay out of Caravan Parks, so not usually any 240v except for when I can use a gennie and don't know how it would go with cooking, most folks say no heating devices except at parks......Also I have a Cobb and was thinking of selling as I have not had the use, even though I like the idea, some of the Nat Parks won't let you use even heat beads, so I have been thinking about getting a Weber BabyQ and doing everything else in the Van.
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
Jan, I can't answer for Tim but investing in a 2000w Generator or 2000w inverter will mean you can use your TMX wherever you go (with car or caravan)  Also it's worth investing in the more durable demonstrators bag if you are off roading. Ours has been to may remote locations. I love it.
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:31 am »
I take my Dreampot, which is wonderful on the road. It even cooks while you are driving along.

mcmich

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 05:06:51 am »
I love my dreampot too.  ;D

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 07:22:57 am »
Aldi has a thermal cooker (which I assume is the same as a dream pot) for sale this week.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:15 am »
Jan as mentioned a 2000kw generator will run your thermomix. Ours travels with us in the van and has done 1000's km. I have a black bag and it has been good

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
What is the cost of a  generator? We go tent camping with an oil cooker and kerosene lamp . I would love a camper an or camp in a caravan park but DH says that's not real camping.
From Perth WA

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44:17 am »
Here is a link to a blog I read ages ago about what the blogger makes and takes etc with her TMX when camping. If you scroll quite a way down, there are 'notes from my husband about travelling with the Thermomix' where he talks generators etc, if you are interested

http://www.domesticdivaunleashed.com/camping-on-the-failsafe-diet-with-a-thermomix
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
Jamberie that is excellent. We take our generator if we have the van for when we 'free' camp. I love the silence but you only need to run the generator for a short time.

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
MEP - prices vary wildly but they can be very expensive. If you are running a second battery set up in your car, an inverter may be a better option for you.
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:00 pm »
Thanks Jadey. Great link Jamberie. We have only ever done non powered camping so suggesting that We take TMX with us on next camping trip would be too much for poor DH I think. He wouldn't even consider taking it on skiing holiday to NZ for two weeks or Xmas holidays to the grandparents interstate.
From Perth WA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:53 am »
We paid quite a lot for our generator.

We used to have a second battery in the car, until DH was drilling something near the tow bar and drilled right through the wires that go from the Engel to the second battery. He didn't realise it and somehow or other the battery burnt out. He took a while to live that down. He will put another battery in before we go away.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:47 am »
for a 2KVA Dunlite inverter generator its about $2240

Depends on if you want a inverter or standard generator.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 11:12:38 am »
Our generator is a Honda 2 kw inverter model and was about $1800 or so a few years ago. You need an inverter model to run electrical things.