Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9039973 times)

mcmich

Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #17355 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:43 am »
I always blind bake Suzanne. The pastry is nice and crisp. I use rice and put a very generous amount in, about half way up.
I also prick the base very lightly with a fork to prevent it puffing up. You can reuse the rice or beans just store them in an air tight container.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #17356 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:06 am »
Thanks Michele I'm never very successful with pastry its my down fall in the kitchen I hope they work or it's mashed potatoes and vegetables for dinner ::)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:00 am »
I never bake blind in the pie maker but I would if I was cooking full sized family pies in the oven.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

*suzanne*

« Reply #17358 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:12 am »
well surprise surprise they turned out I made them in individual ones,  5 out of 6 ate them so in my house that's a success a really lovely filling

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
Suzanne that is great  :)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:47 am »
Sounds like a hit, Suzanne.  I'm still scared of pastry - I have made one attempt since having my tmx, which certainly made mixing easier, but the baking part was still not a success.

Must get on with some bread baking today - no more baguettes for DH, or ham and cheese scrolls for DS, which we "always" have on standby.  And have done two batches of custard scrolls this week too, and it's all disappeared.
Tomorrow will be a big cake baking day - DS's birthday party on Saturday, then family dinner afterwards, so 2 cakes! 

My only other baking this week has been SLIME!  for the party, of course.  Not too sure what I'm going to do with it now.  It was meant to be part of an obstacle course, but the weather is looking bad, so thinking maybe kids will have to transfer slime from bowl to cup with a spoon, and whoever gets the most in 5 min wins a prize.  Should be able to do that in a covered area or between rain showers maybe.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

*suzanne*

« Reply #17361 on: April 18, 2013, 02:30:15 am »
sounds like a fun party jo hopefully the weather plays nice for you

pastry is my next thing to conquer I'm having moderate success with bread so I hope pastry will one day work for me

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: April 18, 2013, 02:36:20 am »
Jo how do you make slime, would love to do that for my kids.

Pastry is easier, just keep on practicing. I blind bake for a big pie, not for small ones.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:37 am »
Don't usually cook while I'm working from home, but right now TMX is sitting next to me in the nice warm study with some of Isi's portuguese roll dough rising inside. Going to make CP's pumpkin soup later, unless work gets busy - fingers crossed it doesn't!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: April 18, 2013, 03:09:50 am »
The slime is 1 tsp of Metamucil per 1 cup of water, and then cooked.
I did 6 cups water in the tmx, and a little more than 6 tsp of Metamucil, cooked for about 35mins, at 100 or varoma (it was starting to boil over at varoma, so turned down) 
My first batch I recooked a couple of times as I wasn't too sure how long it should take.  The stove directions say it will start to get thicker in the pot, but I didn't really find it did that.  Still not sure I have done it "right" on the second batch - just cooked once, but then mixed the 2 lots together.  But it should work for my purposes! 

I used berry Metamucil to make it a red slime.

Now wondering what ads I will get next time I log in, since I've spent a whole post talking about a fibre supplement!!   ;)
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:16 am »
thanks Jo, I will make it for my kids on Saturday..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #17366 on: April 18, 2013, 06:22:29 am »
130 of Judy's caramelised onion, fetta and mushroom tarts for my friend's daughter's 21st on the weekend.  :)

*suzanne*

« Reply #17367 on: April 18, 2013, 06:27:20 am »
Michele they look delicious I have been meaning to make these since last year.
Did you use pre made pastry?

Sushi

mcmich

« Reply #17368 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:27 am »
They are lovely Suzanne. I did use Pampas puff pastry and didn't blind bake as they don't need it. Just make sure that the caramelised onion has completely cooled.

These delicious little tarts are a frequent request from friends and work mates.  :D

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: April 18, 2013, 06:47:14 am »
They certainly do look delicious Mcmich

Marie