Author Topic: Garlic Oil for Chinese Steamed Vege  (Read 6824 times)

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Garlic Oil for Chinese Steamed Vege
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:32:05 am »
I use this simple dressing everytime I steam vege in the varoma. Easy peasy and very aromatic. The flavour profile is the same as stir fried vege, minus the smoky bits from the wok of course :)

This is something I always have in my pantry. Something I learnt from mum and  take for granted.

You can make half a jar, and use some when you want to dress up your vege. Garlic oil can also be used as the final flourish in clear soups, steamed fish or fried fish.

Name of Recipe: Garlic Oil for Chinese Steamed Vege

Ingredients
2-3 heads of Garlic
150 ml Oil

Method
1. Peel garlic cloves in Thermomix. Speed 5, reverse, 5 secs or until skins come off. Remove peel from bowl.

2. Chop garlic roughly in thermomix. Turbo until you get a rough texture. Not too fine, as you would want to taste some crunchy bits.

3. Heat up oil in wok. Moderate to low fire. Add garlic. Sauté till golden in colour. Remove from wok immediately.

4. Cool. Then store in pantry.

To Use

Drizzle half a tablespoon (or more, or less) over steamed vege with some soya sauce and pepper. You could start with a teaspoon of soya sauce, and increase to your liking.

Or drizzle over clear vegetable soup.

Or drizzle over steamed fish, with soya sauce and a touch of sugar.

Picture: Steamed cauliflower and carrots. Varoma temp, 18 mins was a bit too long but these vege could take it. Garlic oil drizzled over it gave it an oomph!

Notes
The amount given is for half a jar of garlic oil. You can keep it up to 4 months easily.

Quantity of garlic vs oil is very flexible. As long as you have bits of garlic swimming in oil, you're good to go ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:34:16 am by BeezeeBee »

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Garlic Oil for Chinese Steamed Vege
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:03:58 am »
Thanks bzb sounds easy and delicious ;D

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re: Garlic Oil for Chinese Steamed Vege
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:54 am »
Suzanne, I've used it for steamed cauliflower, broccoli, choy sum, kailan, carrots etc.

*suzanne*

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:10 am »
what oil would you suggest?

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:47:41 am »
I used canola oil. Not sure how high is the temp, and whether olive oil is safe to use. Peanut oil would work beautifully too. Anything neutral that will help the garlic shine.

*suzanne*

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:42:28 am »
Thanks so much ;D;D

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:53:12 am »
Suzanne, I've added a bit more explanation to speed up the process, and describe the versatility of the garlic oil :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:08 am »
I will make some of this as soon as I get home BZB. I can imagine that it would lift the taste of veggies.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/