Author Topic: Recipe Review & questions - Tenina's sourdough from For Food's Sake  (Read 21065 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review & questions - Tenina's sourdough from For Food's Sake
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 09:17:29 am »
Would you believe that I haven't made this before? I think I have far too many bread recipes to try.

It obviously has only one rise. Has anyone tried it with two?  I might give it a go with this batch and see how I go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 09:00:30 am »
I made this the other day with 2 rises and although the bread was good, we usually have more flavour in our breads. I have just made the second batch using the 200g from the fridge. This time I have used some rye flour and some whole meal. About 50g of each. The bread is just waiting for it's second rise now. The next batch I think I'll do 100g of rye.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:45 pm »
I got up to the fifth use of the starters and the forgot to save the 200g!  I haven't started again. I was so peed off with myself!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:00:01 pm by judydawn »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »
 :D :D :D :D  Thanks for the laugh MJ.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:42 am »
I can't believe I haven't made this before now, since we love sourdough.  I followed the recipe except for the malt.  It turned out lovely & the kids loved it.  It wasn't a crunchy, tangy sourdough( probably since it was just the first batch & I used all white flour) but it had a lovely texture & a nice chewy crust.  My two little kids ate a full loaf for morning tea!  It'll be a definite regular & I'm looking forward to trying it with the starter & using different flours & additions.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »
I really must start my starter again! This was so yummy and I had gone to all the trouble of making the malted wheat. Now I just have to find it…. :P
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 02:15:45 am »
Can someone tell me if I'm following the recipe correctly?  I made my first batch a couple of days ago  & kept my 200gm of starter aside.  Today I've made it for the second time, but I'm using the starter as the rising agent, so no yeast.  The way I made it was I skipped the first step in the recipe & went straight to step 2, where I put everything in the TM bowl, except the yeast & also put in the starter.  So it was pretty full, with using the full 550gm of flour plus the starter.  Is that correct?  I kept everything the same, amounts, speed etc.  It's now rising & when its doubled I'll keep 200gm aside for next time.  Is that right?