Author Topic: HELP- cockroach emergency  (Read 6757 times)

Offline genevieve.james.martin

• View Profile
HELP- cockroach emergency
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:02 pm »
I turned on my TM31 today to see a small set of antler in front of the display pad. A baby cockroach inside the machine!  After doing some googling I see this is not an uncommon issue with TM31s and people have reported having their machines electrics ruining because of this and having to pay $400 to have it fixed.  My machine isn't damaged at the moment but I need to lure it out (and hope there aren't many more in there). Does anyone have any suggestions how I can lure it out of the machine? I bought some baits and have placed them around the bottom of the machine but any other suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: HELP- cockroach emergency
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:06:06 am »
Oh dear. So sorry Genevieve.  I had a horrendous experience with cockroaches up here in Cairns. The got into my TM31 and were cooked on the motherboard. Of course my TMX had to go back for fixing. I din't know how you lure them out without luring more in!! After Mine came home I bought a nightlight to plug in next to my TMX. It automatically turned on after dark. Cockroaches hate the bright lights. I also had my regular (yearly) termite/bug man puff some insect stuff into the machine as well as using the cockroach gel paste around and under the machine. I never had another problem after that.

It is a not uncommon problem at all as there are many reports from many other places with the same problem ie: Malayasia. Singapore, South Africa  the Phillipines and other places. Vorwerk is well aware of this problem and that is why the TM5 has an added mesh to prevent bugs getting into those cosy spots.

I think my nightlight was the best and safest deterrent. Hope your TMX is ok.

Gertbysea
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:09:37 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:30 am »
Thanks for responding to this post Gert, having had the experience yourself there was no better person to give advice. Xx
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:13:42 am »
Not a nice experience but cockroaches are part of life in the tropics. Not much you can do once they get inside as they will surely be "cooked". So long as it is not on the motherboard it should be ok.

I would hate to see the little "antlers" looking at me on the display but eventually they will disintegrate.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:33:19 am »
Maybe Genevieve shouldn't use the machine until it has been looked at by the TMX technician then use your preventative measures to prevent them getting in again Gert?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:01:01 am »
Thanks for responding to this post Gert, having had the experience yourself there was no better person to give advice. Xx

Gert do you get the great big ones? We used to get them in Broome. Horrid critters.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:06:13 am »
Yup we get the big ones. They fly in..

If Genevieve is still using the machine then the cockroach did no harm. Maybe just came for a look see and toddled off. No point in sending the machine away if it ain't broken.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:09:18 am »
Horrid memories of them flying Gert.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/