Author Topic: Fruit Loaf - with photos  (Read 77077 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Fruit Loaf - with photos
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:16 am »
FRUIT LOAF
600g unbleached plain flour (I used White Wings)
2 tsp bread improver
2 tsp fine salt
3 ½ tsp instant dried yeast 
3 tsp sugar
3 tsp mixed spice
3 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
250g dried fruit of choice, (try 300g next time)
500ml of very warm water which is made up of: 300ml of cold to 200ml of boiling water
1 egg, lightly beaten, combined with 1 tblsp oil
1 egg beaten with 1 tblsp of water and 1 tsp sugar for glazing before baking
1 tsp honey with 1 ½ tsp boiling water mixed together to glaze when removed from oven for shine - optional
(try making half of this glaze amount) -  ½ tsp honey, ¾ tsp water as don't need much

Place all dry ingredients except the fruit into TM bowl.  Combine for 20 secs/speed 8.

Add fruit and combine for 30 secs/Reverse + speed  4,   to distribute fruit throughout the mix.

Pour in ¾ of the warm water and all of the combined egg & oil. 
Combine for 20 secs/Reverse + speed 4.
While blades are turning, add enough of the remaining water through the opening in the lid to make a moist stiff dough. (I used total of 480 ml, try 460ml next time to compare)

Knead on Interval speed for 3 minutes

Leave dough in the bowl until it starts to poke through the opening in the lid, about 20 - 30 mins, depending on the weather.  (Mine took 30 mins in an air-conditioned room).

Prepare baking glaze and put aside.    Oil a 700g bread tin really well (even the rim) and set aside.

When dough is ready, knead again on Interval speed for 1 minute.

Drop the dough directly from the TM bowl into the bread tin. 

Brush with the baking glaze, cover tin with a clean tea towel and allow to rise again (about 20-30 mins. Or until dough nearly reaches top of tin).  Meanwhile preheat oven 200° C fan forced.

Once risen, bake for 30-35 minutes, (mine took 35).    Remove from oven and brush top with shine glaze if desired and allow to sit in tin for a few minutes, then remove to a rack and allow to cool.

Notes:
This was my second attempt at making this loaf.  I converted it from a Simply No Knead recipe that I've changed slightly to suit my tastes after my first try yesterday.

Yesterday for the fruit I used an already combined packet of mixed fruit, but I didn't like the citrus peel taste in the loaf, so today's version I combined sultanas, raisins & currants myself and this was much better. 
The original recipe only asked for 200g of fruit which is the amount I used yesterday but thought it needed more, so  today I used 250g and I think even a bit more could be added, so next time will try 300g and see what I think of that.

The original recommended using the full 500ml of water which I did yesterday and thought it made the loaf a bit dense, so today I used 480ml and it was much better, again I will play with the amount and try maybe 460ml next time, it will all depend on how it looks when adding the water.

I also used a glaze after baking just to shine the top, one that I use on hot cross buns and I was happy with how it looked.

I'm really pleased with how this loaf turned out today.  Was so nice buttered with a cup of tea.  Can't wait to toast some in the morning for breakfast.

Extremely easy in the TM.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Loaf - with photos
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:37 am »
All these people baking bread in this weather  :o :o :o  Looks lovely JulieO - I love the way you keep at a recipe until you get it just right.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:29 am »
What an amzing texture in your loaf Julie. Thanks for another recipe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:34:35 am »
Congratulations - certainly does have great texture - but yes - what temp is it there?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:47 am »
It got to 42 today and the same for tomorrow, then cools down a little bit.  ;D

Thanks guys, I ended up cutting the loaf in half and froze one half, and there was more fruit throughout the loaf further in.  The photo was with the first slice taken off.  Obviously I need to mix the fruit in a little more also, but it tastes great and is lovely and soft.  Very happy wiith it.  :)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »
Another wonderful recipe Julie - looks good enough to eat  :D

Just one question - what is "bread improver"?.. 

Thanks

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:10:52 pm »
Hi Katya, I found this on the net in case it goes by another name overseas.  I've only just started to use it and the bread does seem to be softer and nicer, not sure if this is the reason or not.  :)

http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-bread-improver

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
Thanks Julie - I've never come across it myself, but then I've never looked !  I'll definitely look out for it when I next go shopping

Do you think the fruit loaf would be OK without it?  Not as good obviously, but could it cope without?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:44:21 pm »
Definitely Katya.  ;D

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:06:09 am »
This must be veeeery nice!
I am imagine my self sitting in front of the chimney with a nice hot choclat and a slice of this beautiful loaf with Butter and Honey!!
To be done!  Oh yes!!
Beautiful
isi

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:55 am »
Wish I could join you isi  ;D ;D ;D  It is going to be 43oC here in South Australia today before a lovely cool change tonight and only 26o expected the following 2 days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:54 am »
Ohhh men!
I think I know where I am going to book my next Holidays!!!!
 :D :D :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:11 am »
Thanks Julie,

I made this loaf this morning before the house heated up, and have just had a couple of slices with freshly made butter and it is lovely, DH has also already toasted three slices so I can't see me needing freeze any of it.  I substituted the plain flour for spelt, used approx 450g water, 100g mixed fruit, 80g currents and 120g sultanas, the texture seems great although I will be interested to see how it goes once it's cooled (if it gets that far).

Thanks for the great recipe, I'm sure it will become a family favourite and makes me think I should get out all my old SNK recipes and start converting them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:35:38 am »
Thanks Julie,  looks great,   will have to try when it gets a bit cooler.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:57:24 am »
Thanks for reporting back Wonder.  I too toasted a slice this morning for breakfast and I loved it, tasted sooo much better than the shop bought 'raisin toast' bread we can buy here.  That seems to have an aftertaste that I don't like.   :)