Author Topic: Another Tm take off machine...  (Read 14960 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Another Tm take off machine...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »
I think everyone realizes that there is a love/ hate relationship with the TM versus TC camps. All of us who own a TM will defend it to the hilt and those who have bought a TC  will also defend their decision.  In either case, we have all outlayed a lot of money for our appliance and I think this makes some people feel that they need justification for their decision. All I can say is that I have never looked back since buying my TM- I am extremely happy with it and at the end of the day, if either appliance does what people have expected of it and they are happy, so be it. Personally, I don't see the value in buying a TC as it seems to have a lot of cons compared to the TM, but not all of us can afford a TM and if buying a TC means that someone is cooking better, healthier food for their family, isn't that what we're all about??
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
i totally agree with what you say, merlin, especially about both being expensive, but after i hear what my friend goes on about, i wonder whether she is getting value for money.
one aspect i'm not sure about with the TC,  how good is the "plastic" used with the TC? there is/has been much discussion about the "plastics" used in making the TM, but no one seems overly concerned about the plastics used in the making of the TC. if you're concerned about the health aspect of cooking, the plastic doesn't want to be overlooked. vorwerk has gone so far as to issue a report saying the polypropelene used in making the TM doesn't leach PBAs, what about the TC? people turn a blind eye to what they don't want to see all the time, and i've never heard anyone express any concern regarding this aspect of the TC. i don't think i'd mind using the TC to do most things, but i certainly would think twice about cooking with it. perhaps that's why the TC basket is metal; again with metal, you have to be careful of the quality of the metal.
i want to stop here. i'm probably over hearing about the TC from my friend. both are a lot of money, both can do similar things, and i'd probably find it difficult to choose between the two because of the price.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:58 pm »
As with anything you purchase..... You get what you pay for.

I used to buy things based on price and they never lasted and ended up costing me more money in the long run. Now I save for the better (dearer) things.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:43 am »
I completely agree with your comments also, and as you know as far as I am concerned, it is a no brainer which machine to buy- a TM of course!! All I'm saying is some people probably overlook the shortcomings of the TC ie plastics etc in favour of the price. To pay about half the price of a TM for a machine which on face value would seem to be similar to the functions of a TM would be tempting to a lot of people and it is unfortunate that some would then wish they had spent the money on a TM in the first place. I just feel sorry for those who have bought a TC in the first place only to be disappointed later on. I would argue that you get what you pay for! Also, I think the  demo selling principle is appropriate as I have a great consultant who is always happy to answer questions, order stuff etc but some people are totally against that type of selling method and would prefer to buy directly from a shop etc. I just figure that bonus of the price of a thermomix is the fact that we ( well, i should say most of us) get such great after sales service, I'm sure much more than if we'd bought one in a shop.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

stacelee

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »
I hate to say it but having both machines, the Thermochef is a competitor for the Thermomix....depending on what exactly you want to do with it.  The only thing I am wary about doing in my Thermochef are heavier doughs, but I don't tend to do them in the  Thermomix anyway....I'm spoilt and use my Kenwood Cooking Chef...the dough hook is easier to clean than blades.  There are some things I actually prefer to do in the TC such as sauces/ketchups as the Jug seems to be deeper and you don't get as much splashing.  The end result is identical.

I haven't found cleaning the TC to be any harder than cleaning the TM...in fact I have probably found it easier as the design of the base of the jug where the blades attach is slightly different and "stuff" doesn't seem to get caught as easily under the base of the blades.  I have stopped putting my TM in the dishwasher very often as I am concerned about long term damage....so for me...cleaning the two machines is pretty much the same.

The TC is not as good as the TM in doing small amounts...ie it can't handle one egg mayonnaise but it will cope when you use two.  I find the controls easier when I just want to do something for a few seconds....I usually don't bother setting times on the TM but just watch the time.

Customer support has been good from the supplier so far (I did have to contact them on a service issue) and since I have had all three of my machines fail within the warranty period (my Kenwood actually 6 weeks outside of the warranty but DeLonghi are repairing it under warranty for me), I don't think that quality is perfect on any of them.

When I want to make something that can use either the TM or TC, I don't even think about which one would be better most times....I just use whichever is clean, dry and ready to go or whichever I touch first.  I was talking to my husband this morning and saying that I would replace every one of them if they failed .....I love having the three machines and really couldn't choose between them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:53:12 pm by stacelee »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:32 am »
Stacelee. I think you make very valid points- I think you are also lucky to have the two to make a comparison!!!
Please don't take my comments personally- no one would suggest for a minute that either machine is perfect and whilst my preference is certainly for a TM I totally respect anyone's decision to buy a TC, and each machine certainly has it's strengths and weaknesses. Out of curiosity though, why would you need both?I can understand the mixer as I still have mine, but do you perhaps need the TM and the TC due to the volume of cooking you have to do?
Albert Einstein

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Re: Re: Another Tm take off machine...
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:11 am »
Yep she cooks alot!!! And many things at the same time. Stacelee gets great use out of all machines from what I have read and conversed with Stacelee on.

I also think that although the TC is a 'more' domestic unit than the tmx, it is better than half as good. If that makes sense. I think if I'd owned at tmx first and had to buy again and I bought a TC, there would certainly be a chance you would be disappointed. But personally if money was no object and that was the case I think you would buy another tmx or seriously consider the HMP. But I'm not there. I'm just using and loving what the TC does really well and will see what the future holds. 6 months Dow. The track I have no regrets. For the amount I use it even 2 years wouldn't be bad value at $735 with an extra jug and I know how much I will continue to use it so won't be without something if that happens. Hopefully I'll get 2-5 years and if I then step up I'll see what's available then and make another informed researched decision. None of this would be possible if it wasn't for the tmx of course. So she is the real hero! ;)
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Re: Re: Another Tm take off machine...
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:53 am »
Al's regarding the plastics, the black parts are all BPA free, the lid to the varoma and the mc are not BPA free but the new batch coming out will have the lid BPA free (the clear one over the varoma). I'm not sure about the MC on the new one.

For what it's worth (altho I'd prefer to talk recipes than TC) I've not had a recipe from here I couldn't cook. Dough over 4/500 gm I do in my breadmaker as I don need to do any work other than take it out shape it and cook it. All pizza dough etc I do in there. So I'm not sure about ALL the things the TC can't do that the tmx can do. Maybe ignorance is bliss. But so far nothing has been a chore or not possible.

I agree exactly with what you say about people defending their machine and I'm not trying to sound like I'm here to defend 'my purchase'. I'm just commenting on comments made here and my personal experience. Differences that are a plus like cooking without the blade turning, less dripping from the lid don't seem to get mentioned because most of us don't know the tmx well enough. :) Stacelee has mentioned some pluses with cleaning etc. she is one lucky chook with all three!!!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2