Author Topic: Yoghurt failure  (Read 10211 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Re: Yoghurt failure
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:46:28 pm »
I've read that if the container you are pouring in to isn't 100% clean (it might have other bacteria in it) that it can result in runny yogurt. Heating the thermoserver will not only help the yogurt set but will also help to kill any unwanted bacteria that might be lurking inside.

Offline AussieMum2Boys

• View Profile
Re: Re: Yoghurt failure
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:20 am »
I may of had a yoghurt failure too. I followed the EDC with 10% fat greek yoghurt as my starter. Put it in a pyrex glass dish with a lid but didn't put it in a cool oven because my oven has an open gas flame. Left it in the pantry for 5 hrs. Just took it out after 5 hrs to put it in the fridge and its thickened to drinking yoghurt consistency but no thicker. Will leave it overnight in the fridge and see the result in the morning.

Should I have put it in the thermoserver instead to set?
Do you need the 'cool oven' if you have a thermoserver?
What can I do with the yohurt I have if it stays runnier than yoghurt should be? Suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

:)
Wife and working mama to 2 gorgeous little boys (3yo L1  and 1yo L2) from Sydney, Australia.

Newbie Thermomix enthusiast and a Seasoned food lover.. a match made in heaven! <3

Follow me on twitter and instagram! @AussieMum2Boys

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:02 am »
This is the way my DD taught me to make yogurt - works beautifully for us . . . (please excuse all the caps.  I've just copied and pasted from my written instruction . . ;D)

2 LITRES MILK - PREFERABLY FULL CREAM

PUT MILK IN TMX JUG, COOK  TIME: 20 MINUTES     TEMPERATURE:  80 DEGREES       SPEED:  BETWEEN 2-3

LET MILK COOL TO 37 DEGREES (if you've removed the jug to allow it to cool faster, to test if the temp is right, simply place it back in the and the temp should show 37)

WHEN THE MILK HAS REACHED THIS TEMP ADD 1/4 CUP YOGURT - THE BEST YOU HAVE - I USE JALNA GREEK FULL CREAM YOGURT TO START OFF WITH

GIVE IT A BIT OF A MIX WITH THE SPATULA

THEN COOK  TIME:   20 MINUTES          TEMPERATURE:  37 DEGREES              SPEED: 2-3

At the end of that time, pour the milk into the thermoserver, put the lid on, and then for more insulation, wrap the thermoserver in a couple of big towels (or a sleeping bag has been used on occasion) and then leave for at least 5 hours - or overnight.

Offline AussieMum2Boys

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 11:22:50 am »
Thanks goldfish. I think my yoghurt cooled down too quickly.. will put it in the thermoserver next time.

Will use the drinking yoghurt in smoothies and pancakes/pikelets tomorrow I think :)
Wife and working mama to 2 gorgeous little boys (3yo L1  and 1yo L2) from Sydney, Australia.

Newbie Thermomix enthusiast and a Seasoned food lover.. a match made in heaven! <3

Offline AussieMum2Boys

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
So I used the drinking yoghurt in my pikelets and froze the rest to pop in smoothies or to make frozen yoghurt.

I made another batch of yoghurt according to the EDC book and it turned out beautifully.  I put the yoghurt mixture into the thermoserver and wrapped it in a blanket and left it for 5 hrs. Also rinsed out the thermoserver with boiling water just before adding the yoghurt.

Perfect thick creamy greek style yoghurt. Amazing.

Thanks all for your help :)

Offline AussieMum2Boys

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 04:51:12 am »
So I made another batch from the previous yoghurt.  This time I added 800ml full cream milk and 200ml cream. I also added a tbsp of agave syrup. It isnt as thick but tastes like the vanilla store bought yoghurt you get in those 1L tubs. DH loves that stuff. I think the trick for really thick yoghurt is adding the milk powder :)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 05:37:12 am »
I tried making yoghurt from a bought yoghurt and for me it failed !

I now use the greek yoghurt culture from Green Living and add 1/4 cup of milk powder to 1 litre of UHT full cream milk and the yoghurt is very, very thick.  It gets thicker the longer it's in the fridge.  It cost me $15 and that makes 100 litres of yoghurt. You only use the very smallest amount on the end of a steak knife. It works perfectly every time. It's quite mild tasting and the kids love it mixed with a little bit of icing sugar and fresh fruit (strawberries are the best yummmmmyyyy).

This is where I got my culture:

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/yoghurt_culture.html#yoghurtculture