Author Topic: Lentil and pancetta soup  (Read 14250 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Lentil and pancetta soup
« on: July 30, 2011, 04:34:39 pm »
I'm loving making soup in minutes in my tmx.  This one is my favourites at the mo'

Lentil and Pancetta Soup

Number of People:4-6

Ingredients:
20 g olive oil
1 large carrot, cut in large chunks
2 celery sticks, cut in large chunks
1 large onion, halved
1 small red chilli, seeds removed
5 slices pancetta, about 100g, roughly chopped by hand
1 garlic clove
1 tbs tomato paste
410g can diced tomatoes
200g "du puy" lentils
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
900g stock or water* and either tmx veg concentrate, or Quirky Jo's chicken paste to taste,
2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley

*or whatever will fit without going over the line!

Preparation:
Put onion, garlic, celery, carrots and chilli into tmx bowl and chop for 3 seconds, speed 6.
Add oil and pancetta and cook at 100 for4 minutes, :-: speed 1
Add tomato paste and cook at 100 for 1 min, speed 1
Add stock or water + paste, lentils, tomatoes and fresh rosemary
Cook on 100,  :-: speed 1 for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender
Garnish with chopped parsley.

Notes
Sometimes I add a carrot that I have diced by hand with the water and tomatoes for aesthetics!

The oringinal recipe calls for "Italian Lentils" which are apparently available from delis.  They will take longer to cook.  If these or the small French lentilles de puy aren't available, I would use whole green lentils as the more common split red lentils break down in cooking rather than keeping their shape. Green lentils will also take longer to cook. Or you can use a tin of lentils added at the end, if you prefer.  I like the firmer texture of the du puy lentils, however.

You could always use bacon rather than pancetta or leave it out for a vegetarian option, but I love the flavour of the pancetta and I think the fresh rosemary is a must!

The original  recipe came from Taste.com, and was originally in delicious magazine.http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5802/lentil+soup

Members' comments
passionflower - This is delicious, I blitzed my lentils before hand so I ended up with a smoothish soup, I also used fresh tomatoes as we have so many right now and you were right the fresh rosemary is gorgeous in this soup.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:41:00 am by judydawn »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline sodapop1971

• View Profile
Re: Lentil and pancetta soup
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:09:52 am »
Hi LellyJ,

I'm planning on trying this out later in the week, but just noticed that it doesn't say when to add the lentils... is it with the tomatoes?

Cheers,
Sharon

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:47 am »
Thanks for that.  Yes, add lentils with the tomatoes, unless you are using canned when I would add them just at the end.  I hope you enjoy it!

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »
I cooked this for lunch yesterday and it was delicious, I blitzed my lentils before hand so I ended up with a smooth ish soup, I also used fresh tomatoes as we have so many right now and you was right the fresh rosemary is gorgeous in this soup. Thank you Lellyyj
Here's a photo of my bowl, donch ya love the chefy cream drizzle? hahaha
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:09 pm »
Looks gorgeous, especially the chefy drizzle!  Will try blitzing the lentils next time too for something different!  I'm glad you enjoyed the soup!