Author Topic: Chilli bean soup with corn bread - from taste.com.au  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Chilli bean soup with corn bread - from taste.com.au
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Chilli bean soup with corn bread

Number of People:  6

Recipe:  
I have just made Chilli Bean Soup with Corn Bread, one of my favourite recipes, in my Thermomix for the first time.  The recipe is from taste.com.au:  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6327/chilli+bean+soup+with+corn+bread

Tips/Hints:
I adapted the method only slightly for the Thermomix.  For the soup, I chopped the onion, garlic and chilli for 2 seconds on speed 7, then added the oil and sauteed for 2 minutes at 100 on speed 1.  Then added everything else (1 tablespoon vege stock concentrate instead of the cube) and cooked it at 100 for 15 minutes on speed 1.  Then I blitzed it, moving slowly up to 9, for about 20 seconds.  This was a bit scary as it was slightly too full.  Next time I would reduce the water - just add enough to take it up to the 2L mark.

I just mixed the corn bread in a bowl as it didn't seem worth using the Thermomix, but I did use Thermomix butter, buttermilk and creamed corn (thanks Chelsea for the creamed corn recipe).  I always make it in muffin tins - 12 muffins (mixture measured with an ice cream scoop, 190C, 20 mins).

This is the first recipe I have posted, so I hope I've got it right!

Members' comments
MF - Cooked this today and was delicious. I added chopped carrots, celery, and red and green capsicum to the original recipe and then blended half of the soup as my DH likes chunky soups. Was very thick so added extra stock and some sour cream after pouring into a large pot when cooked. A few shakes of smoked paprika and into the bowls with the yummy corn bread on the side.  DH was in love!!!

Courton - Have to bump the corn bread recipe because it is so delicious. Goes with any type of soup and makes a change from serving bread rolls with soup.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:51:43 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli bean soup with corn bread - from taste.com.au
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:20 am »
You did fine Marilyn but perhaps you could add the ingredients list too to save people looking up the original - then the print out would have all the details of the recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:04:27 am »
well done Marilyn. Yes, just type out the conversion and maybe put a link back to the taste recipe perhaps if you don't have your own photo to add, so people can also see what it looks like (we love photo's  ;) - especially our own).
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »
I actually contacted taste.com.au about the intellectual property issues and they were pretty clear about it - I could post a link, but not the recipe itself.  Which I think is fair enough.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:38:32 pm »
Oh, but the photo - OK, noted.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:25 am »
Did Taste.com.au think you were going to cut and paste their recipe as is into our forum Marilyn?  As long as a recipe isn't rewritten word for word, I'm sure it is OK.  We change the position of the ingredients to suit the order in which we are going to process them in the TMX, reduce quantities where necessary to fit into the bowl, change cup measurements to gms for our overseas members, tweak or add our own take on a recipe and then as far as the cooking instructions go, our method is certainly unique and different from stove top cooking.  A link back to the original if it hasn't been altered much is always a wise move but sometimes we change a recipe so much, no-one would recognise it from the original - in this case I can't see the need for the link.  This subject can be a tricky one but where else do you get ideas other than from recipes already written. Not many of us come up with completely original recipes - our idea has to stem from somewhere.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:17:32 am »
Good work with the recipe Marilyn - at least we have an idea.  I am sure if you used the recipe as a basis for a TMX recipe then you should be OK.  I was told that recipes can't be Copyrighted.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Mama Fergie

Re: Chilli bean soup with corn bread originally posted by marilyn
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »
Cooked this today and was delicious. I added chopped carrots, celery, and red and green capsicum to the original recipe and then blended half of the soup as my DH likes chunky soups. Was very thick so added extra stock and some sour cream after pouring into a large pot when cooked. A few shakes of smoked paprika and into the bowls with the yummy corn bread on the side.  DH was in love!!! Will be a regular on our menu. After this was cooked  I had a big cook up with my DD  no 1 as she is hoping to buy a TMX soon. We cooked a minestrone soup, beetroot salad and a chicken and mushroom risotto for her to take home to her DH to convince him a TMX is essential.  He loved it all. Told my youngest DD and she wants a cook up on wednesday,at my place for the same reason! Lol.... I wish them both luck  :-))

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
Have to bump the corn bread recipe because it is so delicious. Goes with any type of soup and makes a change from serving bread rolls with soup.