Author Topic: Failsafe Yoghurt - Squirrel  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Failsafe Yoghurt - Squirrel
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

I make yoghurt all the time in my Thermomix.  Here is my fail safe method that may help others:

1.  Grab a ramekin and tablespoon, and run under very hot water.  Reduce to tepid water and empty.  Without touching  the inside of the ramekin, shake off the excess water.  Same with the tablespoon.  Do not dry with tea towel.
2.  Using your newly clean tablespoon, spoon 3 tablespoons of your yoghurt starter into the ramekin.  Again, do not touch the yoghurt with your hands. Cover and set aside to reduce to room temperature. (Use a good organic biodynamic yoghurt for a starter.  You can freeze in ice cube trays if you do not make yogurt very often.)
3.  Place 1000g organic unhomogenised milk in Thermomix and cook for 10 mins at 90 degrees on Speed 1.
4.  When milk temp drops to 37 degrees - boil water in your kitchen kettle.  Add the boiling water to 2 food thermos.  Put on their lids and leave to stand while you do the remaining steps to prepare your yogurt.  This will warm the thermos ready for use (as well as sterilise)
5.  From the Thermomix, pour a little of the warmed milk into your ramekin where you have your yoghurt starter.  Using your clean tablespoon, gently mix the milk & yogurt  together in the ramekin.  Then pour this into the rest of the warmed milk in the Thermomix.
6.  Blend in Thermomix for 4 secs on speed 3.
7.  Cook for 10mins at 37 degrees on speed 1.
8.  Empty water from  the 2 food thermos.  Shake excess water out.  Do not wipe out with tea towel.  Pour from the Thermomix into the two food thermos.  Leave to stand for 5 hours.  Do not move the 2 food thermos during that time.
9.  After 5 hours, pour  your yogurt into a  large jar & refridgerate overnight.
10. Viola.  Yoghurt.   

Side  notes:  Always use the yoghurt starter each time (not your yoghurt leftovers).  This ensures the cultures are live.
                   Yoghurt made as above will produce quite a thick yogurt.  I avoid using milk powder to thicken as some deem milk powder to contain carcinogens due to the high temperatures used in processing.  (see Nourishing Traditions - Sally Fallon)

Good luck.  I looove home made yogurt with organic maple syrup & cinnamon!!   ;D

Squirrel

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.