Author Topic: Hello from India  (Read 24560 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: Hello from India
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »
Wow sounds awesome Trudy. Bet you are having a blast - and learning alot too.  :D
:D

mcmich

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »
It's so good how we get to enjoy other members trips.  :D

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing Trudy glad all is well

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »
I have some colourful photos of a ceremony from Trudy so once I get her permission, I will post them.

Great to see you were able to come on here and share the trip with us all Trudy, it certainly sounds a wonderful experience.  Love to see what you are wearing to the wedding.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:13 pm »
Oh, thanks so much for sharing and for the photo. I look forward to seeing more JD!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:26 am »
I cant wait to see the photos of the bride in the wedding sari!  A close friend of mine had a traditional Indian wedding a few years ago, and the outfit the bride wears is breathtaking.  She also lent all her female friends saris, so we could all dress traditionally too.  I must say, a sari did not look as good on me as it does on Indian women  ;D

Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time trudy.  Did all the food you took over there make it and get through customs OK?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:02:34 am by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:52 am »
Trudy thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing the photos Judy has. I do hope you have a fantastic time.

Gert as you said very different to mine. It's good to see something different.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 04:38:25 am »
Trudy is on the forum again at the moment - hope this means that we are going to get another instalment of her trip.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:58 am »
Hi again, I am not sure if the email that I just sent got there so I appologise if I am resending it. For those who asked no we are not related to anyone here.  I have been a friend of the grooms father since I was around 12 and have been lucky to have remained friends.  We have been here lots of times and have also attended their daughters weddings.  They inturn have visited us in Australia and been out for our daughters weddings.  Karen, no we had no trouble bringing in the cheese ect.  Waayne did have a slight worry when we saw on the customs form a question asking if we had any seeds or dairy products with us but even though we declared them they didn't seem to care.
The past two days there have been workmen here errecting elaborate shades for todays Tilak ceremony.  This will be held this afternoon where the brides brother and parents will come bringing gifts - sweets, jewellery, sari's ect for the groom and his family then high tea will be served.  I must take a photo of where we are staying for you.  Just hope that these photo's make it this time. These photo's are of the thread ceremony from a couple of days ago.
A pooja or thread ceremony is usually held when a boy is around 5 years of age.  This ceremony signifys the starting of his education hence there was a slate and chalk used in the ceremony.  After the two hour service at which he was also presented by the guests with food and money to "sustane" him during the 14 days that he goes off by himself into the forest he had to pretend to run away!!!!!  Most boys do not go through this today and Aayushman hadn't as he was away at boarding school.  So most of the guests that were present hadn't witnessed this pooja before.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:45:45 am by judydawn »

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 05:29:30 am »
Thanks Judy, looks like the last email I sent made it as well!!!     

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33:37 am »
That is just  wonderful.  The thing people most comment on when visiting India is the  overwhelming colour . We can see it here.  Love it.

Gert.
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 05:37:30 am »
You know Gert even the women who seem to do most of the manual work over here wear brightly coloured sari's while they are working.  The men seem to spend their time laying on hamocks and drinking tea!!!!!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 05:43:22 am »
You know Gert even the women who seem to do most of the manual work over here wear brightly coloured sari's while they are working.  The men seem to spend their time laying on hamocks and drinking tea!!!!!

Made me laugh out loud. That is so true.  You are having a great  time. Lovely.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:48 am »
Thought you might like to see where we are staying.  One of the photo's shows the shades that have been errected for todays ceremony and the other is the flowers being changed at the front door.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Hello from India
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:27 am »
How beautiful, it is so colourful;D