Author Topic: Bolognaise Pinwheel  (Read 21630 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bolognaise Pinwheel
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:56:07 am »
Bolognaise Pinwheel

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 sheets puff pastry
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion
1 carrot
2 sticks celery
1 clove garlic
500g lean minced beef
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Italian herbs or fresh herbs to your taste
50g baby spinach leaves
50g parmesan, grated in Thermomix
1 egg to glaze, if you wish

Preparation:

Put onion, garlic, carrot and celery into *:. Chop for 5 seconds on speed 5.
Scrape the *: down.
Add oil and cook for 3 minutes at 100 degrees at speed 1.
Add mince. 6 minutes at Varoma  :-: speed ^^
Add the tomato paste and herbs 5 minutes varoma  :-: speed ^^

Leave bolognaise sauce to cool.
Spread pastry sheets with the sauce leaving a 1-2cm border all round. Place half the spinach on each sheet and sprinkle the cheese over.
Roll the pastry up like a swiss roll and glaze with egg if desired.
Place them on a tray and bake at 220 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

This bolognaise sauce is quite thick.
The recipe is adapted from a Pampas Pastry recipe.

members' comments

JD - Well Cookie1, I went to town today and bought the Careme puff pastry for the bolognaise pinwheel. Holy Moses!! almost $10 for 1 sheet and although I think it would be nice for a dessert, can't say it was worth the extra expense for this recipe.  I made the second pinwheel from pampas pastry and there was no great difference in the finished product at all. I'd made the filling yesterday so just had to assemble it for dinner tonight (lunch tomorrow, dinner tomorrow night etc etc!) - it makes a lot for 2 people. Think I'll freeze one.

Babymaker - We had this last night, I threw in 2 extra tablespoons of tomato paste. Had to bake mine longer in the oven but I don't have fan forced. 5/5 from us!

cathy79 - Made this twice this week, a test run, and today for guests.  Was delicious. First one I used 3 cubes of frozen spinach as that's what I had - excellent.  Means I can make it any day as always have that on hand. Second one used the fresh spinach leaves.  Very nice as well. Can't believe that I managed to feed 4 adults and 3 toddlers with 500g mince.  That's a great value meal.

katesjoy - l too finally got around to making this, the only problem being that l will be eating leftovers for a long, long time! P.S. also tried out careme pastry on top of some apples - oh my that is some seriously good pastry.  Can't wait to try their chocolate pastry now.

JulieO - I made this too and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  I added a tsp of sugar when I added the tomato paste to the bowl. 
I also cooked the onion etc for 10 mins on 100o C instead of the 3 mins to make sure I cooked the rawness out of the onion. I made some mash and veg in the bowl/Varoma to serve with it.  Very tasty, thank you Cookie and will be made again.

Chelsea - These were a hit tonight in our house.  Great job Cookie! I had a bit of trouble rolling them up.  My bolognaise wasn't stone cold which had softened the pastry too much.  Also I threw a zucchini into the mix and probably had too much filling.  Next time I will just stick to the recipe.

thermo18 - I put one in the freezer uncooked. Wow we just loved this. It does make a lot for two but lunch is ready for tomorrow, had it with steamed vegetables and mash potato. Also I put tasty cheese as that's all I had, still yummy. I am sure once I use the one in the freezer will make again a good meal for standby.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:38:21 am by judydawn »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Bolognaise Pinwheel
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:46 am »
lol cookie...i was going to use the same recipe off the back of the pampas pastry pack!!!  shhhhhhhh that means i dont make my own puff pastry :)))))

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:49:33 am »
i tried the puff pastry once and it was a disaster. i am just not a pastry cook!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:05:44 am »
I believe in recognising ones strengths - or otherwise. ;)  Mr. Pampas does a wonderful job with puff pastry, as far as I'm concerned!!
For extra special dishes there is a locally made puff pastry from South Oz called 'Careme' (named after the great chef) which is very, very good, too.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:11:20 am »

Hi Amanda, I've heard of that 'Careme' puff pastry here in S.A. but where can you buy it - The Adelaide Central market perhaps?
Is it that much better to go to all the effort of going into town to get it though!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:13 am »

Hi Amanda, I've heard of that 'Careme' puff pastry here in S.A. but where can you buy it - The Adelaide Central market perhaps?
Is it that much better to go to all the effort of going into town to get it though!

Yes, Judy, it really is that much better!!  As I stated before, I am a fan of Mr. Pampas, but his pastry simply doesn't compare to Careme's.
They also make a lovely short pastry and a sour cream one to die for.
It is available at the market, but I have also seen it in gourmet shops around the place.
Where abouts are you?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:44 am »
I'm in North Haven Amanda

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:29 am »
Sorry, I live in the hills (Balhannah) and haunt the Mitcham area (kids school there), but am unfamiliar with the peninsula and its shops. ???
I would try the local shops and I have seen it in DJ's.  Perhaps you could ring them and find out where it is distributed?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:46 am »
The moderator gave me a website for careme pastry so I have printed myself out a copy and will find somewhere on there to purchase it when in that area, nothing close to me here unfortunately. Thanks for the info.

Getting back to the bolognaise pinwheels, is that baked whole and not sliced into pinwheels before baking Cookie 1?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:42 am »
Yes Judydawn, I bake them whole and slice according to the person I'm serving-eg BIG for me!  It's nice cold in lunches too.
I receive newsletters from Careme pastry.  Here in WA you can buy it from Loose Produce.  That's a bit of a trip for me so I use Mr Pampas for puff and TMX for short pastry.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:15 am »
Well Cookie1, I went to town today and bought the Careme puff pastry for the bolognaise pinwheel. Holy Moses!! almost $10 for 1 sheet and although I think it would be nice for a dessert, can't say it was worth the extra expense for this recipe.  I made the second pinwheel from pampas pastry and there was no great difference in the finished product at all. I'd made the filling yesterday so just had to assemble it for dinner tonight (lunch tomorrow, dinner tomorrow night etc etc!) - it makes a lot for 2 people. Think I'll freeze one.

The trip was worthwhile though as I managed to pick up several items which I have been unable to find in my area for recipes I want to try

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 02:42:32 am »
Well Cookie1, I went to town today and bought the Careme puff pastry for the bolognaise pinwheel. Holy Moses!! almost $10 for 1 sheet and although I think it would be nice for a dessert, can't say it was worth the extra expense for this recipe. 

Have to agree - I think that the Careme would be drowned by the Bol sauce.  A bit "ex"y for this dish.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:07:04 am »
Indeed. I haven't actually tried the Careme pastry yet as I said it's a bit of a trek to buy it. Interesting to hear that Pampas was similar for this recipe. Possibly Careme for when the pastry is a feature.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:12 am »
Yes, I agree, for a nice dessert perhaps.  My daughter saw a packet of Careme puff pastry in her fruit and veg shop today priced at $18 - heck I thought what I paid in the market was expensive enough (almost $10) but that was a bargain (???) compared with what she saw.  Remember this is for 1 sheet of pastry - 350g!!!