Author Topic: crunchy satay salad  (Read 19796 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
crunchy satay salad
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:06:31 am »
Im sure there is a similar one to this posted somewhere or in one of the cookbooks but anyway......

250g cabbage (wombok or white), roughly chopped
1/4 red onion OR 3 spring onions
1 carrot roughly chopped
80g beansprouts
100g packet Changs fried noodles

Satay dressing
150g crunchy peanut butter
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil

Chop cabbage, onion and carrot for 3-4 seconds on speed 4. Tip into seperate bowl and set aside.
Add all dressing ingredients to the TM bowl and cook at temp 100 for 1 1/2 min, speed 2.
Return cabbage mixture, noodles and bean sprouts to TM bowl with dressing mix on reverse speed 2 until combined.
Serve with chopped coriander and a squeeze of lemon.

Members' comments

JD - I love this salad & I do one similar to this from Symply Too Good To Be True 3 by Annette Sym which has a low fat dressing. As the fried noodles go soft in the salad if not eaten on the day, I keep the dressing, noodles and the cabbage mixture in separate containers and just mix up the quantity I need for a meal.  This way your salad stays fresh for days at a time. If anyone wants the low fat dressing, I will post it.

Riv_mum, hope you don't mind me putting this one with yours. Our forum members will have 2 to choose from, especially those looking to cut calories over summer.

LOW FAT DRESSING FOR ASIAN SALAD ABOVE

In a small container combine 1 tblspn soy sauce, 1/2 cup (125g) no oil fat free French dressing (Kraft), 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar. Place lid on securely and shake until sugar has dissolved.  Add to the salad just before serving.

Annette Syms salad recipe is :- Haven't converted it for the TMX, you can use riv_mum's times etc as a guide.

1 chinese cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 Tblspns toasted sesame seeds.
Mix all of the above together along with 1 cup Changs fried noodles and the dressing or do as I do and take out as much salad as you want, a little of the noodles and some of the dressing and keep the rest in separate containers for later. If taking this salad along to a BBQ or party, don't dress it until you are ready to serve it.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:02:31 am by judydawn »
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: crunchy satay salad
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:23 am »
A golden oldie that I always forget about - thanks  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:34:52 am »
I love things with peanuts in. This sounds interesting.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:43 am »
I love this salad & I do one similar to this from Symply Too Good To Be True 3 by Annette Sym which has a low fat dressing. As the fried noodles go soft in the salad if not eaten on the day, I keep the dressing, noodles and the cabbage mixture in separate containers and just mix up the quantity I need for a meal.  This way your salad stays fresh for days at a time. If anyone wants the low fat dressing, I will post it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:08 am »
Good tips JD  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:43:06 am »
Yes please Judy. I have had this at a friends place. I love the idea of making up as much as you need as we couldn't eat it all in one sitting.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:11:04 am »
I love this salad & I do one similar to this from Symply Too Good To Be True 3 by Annette Sym which has a low fat dressing. As the fried noodles go soft in the salad if not eaten on the day, I keep the dressing, noodles and the cabbage mixture in separate containers and just mix up the quantity I need for a meal.  This way your salad stays fresh for days at a time. If anyone wants the low fat dressing, I will post it.

I have those Symply Too Good To Be True books as well JD and I really like them. Even though the recipes are low fat they are "real" food that the whole family will eat. Wish I didn't have to worry about cooking "low fat" but the ever expanding girth needs to be reined it somewhat.   :( :( :(
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:26:53 am »

Riv_mum, hope you don't mind me putting this one with yours. Our forum members will have 2 to choose from, especially those looking to cut calories over summer.

LOW FAT DRESSING FOR ASIAN SALAD ABOVE

In a small container combine 1 tblspn soy sauce, 1/2 cup (125g) no oil fat free French dressing (Kraft), 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar. Place lid on securely and shake until sugar has dissolved.  Add to the salad just before serving.

Annette Syms salad recipe is :- Haven't converted it for the TMX, you can use riv_mum's times etc as a guide.

1 chinese cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 Tblspns toasted sesame seeds.
Mix all of the above together along with 1 cup Changs fried noodles and the dressing or do as I do and take out as much salad as you want, a little of the noodles and some of the dressing and keep the rest in separate containers for later. If taking this salad along to a BBQ or party, don't dress it until you are ready to serve it.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:08:12 pm »
Have made this salad on a number of occasions JD. Mum and I used to get in quick before the other one if we needed to bring a salad for something  :) The Changs noodles were a bit hard to source for a while, and so haven't made it for a long time, but am sure they are still around somewhere.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
Never had a problem getting the noodles CP63. Perhaps ask at your supermarket in case they have placed them in a not so obvious spot. At our Foodland, if I can't get anything, I just fill out one of their forms and ask them if they can get it in.

VHJ - have you converted any of Annettes recipes for the TMX.  I haven't as yet, not enough hours in a day to do everything I want to. Used to use these books all the time - you should see the state of the first 3, some of the pages are even stuck together, me being the messy cook that I am. Haven't used them since I got the TMX and my diet just flew out the door then.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:44:31 am »
Thanks JD - my pants will thank you.

CP63  -  saw them in our local supermarket yesterday - but there are lots of others around them so harder to find.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:18:51 am »
VHJ - have you converted any of Annettes recipes for the TMX.  I haven't as yet, not enough hours in a day to do everything I want to. Used to use these books all the time - you should see the state of the first 3, some of the pages are even stuck together, me being the messy cook that I am. Haven't used them since I got the TMX and my diet just flew out the door then.

i haven't really converted anything but sometimes use ingredients and quantities from them. Eg for lasagne and the chicken laksa. I am going to try some of the cakes although she says "don't beat as it will make them tough" so will see how we go. The pages of mine are pretty yukky as well as I am also a messy cook but some of it is from the "help" I've had over the years.  :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:33 am »
....... The pages of mine are pretty yukky as well as I am also a messy cook but some of it is from the "help" I've had over the years.  :D

Darlings - you've gotta luv 'em.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:15:14 pm »
I love Annette Sym's books! Must convert some of those recipes.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline wapred

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »
Can the dressing for this salad be made earlier and combined into the salad at a later time or is it served warm?  Just that I am looking for a different salad for a picnic and thought this would be nice.

Thanks