Author Topic: Does anyone have a recipe that uses Taro?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
Does anyone have a recipe that uses Taro?
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:54:22 am »
We have taro growing in our garden and recently got some in our weekly real food box. I'm just not sure how to cook with it. I've heard that people make chips with it. Has anyone used it in the Thermomix? Thanks Sue
Sue from North Queensland

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a recipe that uses Taro?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:39 am »
Couldn't find anything in the TMX Sue but does this recipe interest you - http://edibleobsession.blogspot.com/2010/03/sticky-rice-pudding-w-longan-taro.html
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:12:39 am »
I don't have my Asian book handy, but it think there are recipes in there. taro chips are delicious.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:43 am »
Thanks Judy. I'll keep that one in mind. It certainly is rice pudding weather and I have sticky rice. Tonight we'll try 1/2 of the taro in a non-TM curry (the paste is TM though) and see what happens. The rice pudding we'll do on the week-end some time.

Thermoheaven. I had a look in the Asian TM book and couldn't find it. Were you referring to the TM book or another Asian book.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
I still haven't gotten around to using my taro from my realfood box either - must make chips tomorrow! Another recipe I've seen is where you simmer it in coconut milk and palm sugar (and some have tapioca) and make a sweet dessert - not sure if I'm game to try it!!  :D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:53:49 am »
Ok, so I tried the Taro, I still have 1/2 a one left in my fruit bowl, does that tell you what my family though. I used it in curry just like you would potato. Everyone love the curry, just picked out the taro. I didn't mind it and ate it as I was trying to lead by example. We also made sticky rice, thanks JD. We love sticky rice and the kids thought it better than the store bought - just without the taro please next please. Think I'll try some taro mash tonight with some of the beautiful chicken/silverbeet rolls that I found on the forum.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:33 am »
Thanks Sue, I'll steer clear of buying taro then  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:24 am »
Finally found a use for my left over taro today. I tried to turn it into mash by cooking it in milk for 15minutes and then using the butterfly until fluffy. This wasn't a success. It was too gluggy so I turned I added more liquid and turned it into a runny bechamel type sauce. Delicious. I used milk, but think it would have been better using stock. The consistency was great. It's just baking now in the silverbeet casserole that features in the recipe community today http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/11548/silverbeet-casserole.html. Now that I've done this, I'm sure I'll find plenty more uses in various bakes that call for bechamel.