Author Topic: My perfect loaf.....  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
My perfect loaf.....
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:29 am »
OK, I was wondering if there was such a thing that would fit into what I would consider my perfect loaf?  I am looking for a loaf that.....

1. I could make the dough at night when my children are in bed then let it have it's first rise overnight in the fridge.
2. It can be cooked from a cold oven for part of its second rising like Tenina's buttermilk rolls.
3. Have the same taste and texture as the buttermilk rolls.
4. Could be adapted to include part wholemeal flour and/or mixed seeds throughout.
5. It's not hard as a rock and will still make nice toast the following day without it being too dry.
6. Freezes and thaws well.

Does such a thing exist?

I'd love it if one of you knowledgeable people could help me out on this one. 

Thank you in advance.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: My perfect loaf.....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:06:36 am »
Brumington just go to recipe index and choose Breads. There is a wealth of info there

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:05:47 am »
Brumington just go to recipe index and choose Breads. There is a wealth of info there

Gert

That's my problem Gert. There's just too much information!

I've spent hours reading and have now forgotten where I've read stuff so can't easily put  my hands on it to read it again. I know I've read about people prooving their dough in the fridge over night but can't remember if this can be done for all loaves.  I also think the tang zhong bread would be as close to the buttermilk rolls as I could get. I was just wondering if anybody had a different one I could try. I suppose it's a case of experimenting myself. What is there to loose?!  It's only flour!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:55 am »

Gert

That's my problem Gert. There's just too much information!

I've spent hours reading and have now forgotten where I've read stuff so can't easily put  my hands on it to read it again. I know I've read about people prooving their dough in the fridge over night but can't remember if this can be done for all loaves.  I also think the tang zhong bread would be as close to the buttermilk rolls as I could get. I was just wondering if anybody had a different one I could try. I suppose it's a case of experimenting myself. What is there to loose?!  It's only flour!

I just googled " proving dough in fridge " and up came this from one of our  forum members. http://tickofyum.webs.com/apps/blog/show/3720479-proving-bread-dough-in-the-fridge

You are right only flour.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:05:26 am »
Thanks Gert.  I've managed to make a really successful loaf using the buttermilk rolls recipe.  I made the dough last night and put it straight in the fridge.  Shaped it this morning and let it reach room temp before cooking as Tenina suggests.  Just cooked it for 40 mins.  It was well received by the kids!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:11 am »
That is fantastic.. You are off and running with bread now.

Gert