Author Topic: Red Bean Lentil Soup (with photo)  (Read 18943 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Red Bean Lentil Soup (with photo)
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:04:10 am »
I hope you enjoy it ;)

Name of Recipe: Red Bean Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
150g onion, quartered
150g potatoes, roughly chopped
200g red lentils (weighed before I washed them)
1 tbsp Thermomix Vegetable Stock Concentrate
1100g water
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of red kidney beans (1 can = 400g; drained amount is 240g)

30g butter or olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp paprika

Preparation:

Chop onion and potatoes for 5 seconds on Speed 5
    Add washed-drained lentils
    Add water and TM concentrate, close half way with the Measuring Cup and cook for 30 minutes on Speed 1-2
    Close with Measuring Cup, hold it with a tea towel and blend or 30 seconds on Speed 8-9
    Add drained beans, cook for 5 minutes on Reverse / Speed 1
    Optional: Melt butter in a pan. As soon as melted turn off the fire, add paprika and mix.
    Serve soup into the bowls. Dress with 1-2 tbsp of sauce and serve

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2011/09/dukan-diet-glycemic-index-diet-and-red.html

Note: Adapted with some changes from the recipe called Mexican Bean Lentil Soup in the April 2011 issue of Sofra
Magazine.

Members'comments
Marina - it is lovely - a real stomach warmer for the colder weather.  I didn't put the oil on top, but I did sprinkle some really lovely smoked paprika over the top and it worked really well.

cecilia - Thank you for another yummy meal from my Thermomix, and with the added bonus that I didn't even need a trip to the shop to produce it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Red Bean Lentil Soup (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:55:54 am »
This recipe looks lovely, Farfallina.  Real 'comfort' food.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.

PS.  Are you still off cigarettes?  Hope so.  You've come so far it would be such a shame to start smoking again now.  Keep at it and think of all the money you are saving - enough for a second bowl and blade set for your TMX???
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:15 am »

Thank you Cuilidh

Yes, I am still hanging on. It is challenging to change a 17 years old habit though
As for your suggestion, even if I like the idea, buying more tools to cook would make me cook more and it might not end up well for me with my currently slowed metabolism so I'd better buy some exercising equipment instead or travel around with that money :D  :D

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:30 pm »
Thanks for this recipe Farfallina and congratulations on the no smoking. Great effort - keep it up  :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »
Well done, Farfallina - keep saving your money, then, and come and visit us all here in Australia!!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:13:13 am »
Farfallina, it's a while since I visited any of your recipes but I made this tonight and it is lovely - a real stomach warmer for the colder weather.  I didn't put the oil on top, but I did sprinkle some really lovely smoked paprika over the top and it worked really well.  I will certainly be putting this on my repeat recipe file - but it's getting a bit warm here now for soup so it will have to wait until next autumn / winter.

By the way, are you still off the cigatettes?  I hope so.  If you are, you must be so proud of yourself.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

I am glad you enjoyed Cuilidh
Here the stituation is just the opposite, it starts getting colder unfortunately
Thank you for feedback

And yes, I am still off the cigarettes! It comes to my mind less often than before yet still does.
I am trying to be extra careful about what I eat these days considering the risks of putting on some weight as a result of slowed metabolism
I keep my appetite for Halloween. We are organizing a nice and spooky evening with family and friends and I have some recipes to try! ;)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:47:36 pm »
You are doing brilliantly well, farfallina.  I'm sure everyone told you that nicotine is such a terribly addictive drug and that it would get easier and now you are there ..... you've done it!  I have never smoked so haven't had to go through what you have gone through, however, I have heard about how hard it can be.  When my husband gave up many years ago I used to get nightmares that he had started again and I was going to have to divorce him - fortunately he never re-started and we're still happily married.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:30:24 am »
Congratulations on giving up the cigarettes farfallina. You will be so much healthier because of it. My brother in law has tremendous problems because of cigarettes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:25 am »

I hope my husband doesn't get such nightmares cuilidh:)
I am happy it worked out fine for your husband
I hope also your brother in law finds enough will to be able to stop cookie
No matter what the others say it all depends on when/if you have the will
My mom got operated, she got breast cancer, unbelievable but she has started smoking again
i don't know if this situation affected me at a subconscious level.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:39 am »
You're right, Farfallina, it is up to the individual and their will to stop.  I don't know about where you live, but over here smoking is not allowed in hospitals, naturally, but whenever you go past a hospital it is surrounded by patients smoking, it seem unbelievable, but as I said, nicotine is such a strongly addictive drug (stronger than heroin I believe) and for some a terrible shock, like your mum's breast cancer, isn't even enough for them to break the habit.

Having said that, I do so hope that your mum is recovering well, she will be needing your support just now - maybe you can be a good influence on her and help to encourage her to stop smoking - or at least cut down.  Please give her our best wishes.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »

Thanks cuilidh. I am originally from Istanbul but live in Italy and around here you can't smoke neither in restaurants, bars and cafe
Mom is ok now. It's been a while now
She just does her regular visits and tests
So far things are ok and hopefully they always remain that way
Whenever I try to say something about smoking to her she always answers saying that I am right but she doesn't act. And you can also see that she doesn't have the slightest intention to act. She says I am right mostly to shut me up I believe
Anyway.. You can't make anyone do things by force. It is up to them

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 06:28:52 am »
Dear farfallina, Thank you for another yummy meal from my Thermomix, and with the added bonus that I didn't even need a trip to the shop to produce it.  Yay!
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution