Author Topic: Dutch Pancakes  (Read 17672 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Dutch Pancakes
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »
Good idea.  ;)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:12:24 pm »
Those photos are beautiful Nay-nay.

The way I used to serve them when the kids were young was with warm chunky applesauce with pork sausage pattys on the side.
The combination of the sausage and applesauce is popular with the German folks in Wisconsin, where I lived for a few years in my teens. 
I think my original recipe came from The Settlement Cookbook which was one of the first cookbooks I got back in the late '50s.
I also used a recipe from an Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook and have tried others over the years.  It is not a complicated recipe at all and does indeed remind one of Yorkshire pudding but without the dripping, although I supposed one could use dripping instead of butter.
The one think I noticed was that the small piece that was left over (late lunch for me) did not get as tough as does cold Yorkshire pudding.  I just heated it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and added a dollop of apple butter and a spoonful of yogurt. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »
Wow!  These look amazing! Must try when I get the right pan. Thanks  :D
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:08 pm »
Nay nay, these look great.  Thanks, want to cook them NOW.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:13 am »
You don't need a special pan.  I happened to use a 10 inch Calphalon "Everyday" pan  but I have used my old cast iron skillets in the past with excellent results. 
The Calphalon I used was the 10 inch and I should have used the 12.  (A few years ago they offered the two skillets with lids at a sharp discount at a local department store.)
I've also used an ancient Descoware pan with the same shape (enameled cast iron) which is pretty enough to take to the table.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 02:07:45 am »
Thanks Nay-nay this is definitely one to try given the variety of uses!!!!!   :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 08:49:30 am »
I was going to make this this morning then DH came home with croissant and pain o chocolat etc..sweet but I really felt like making this lol oh well maybe tomorrow  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 08:57:58 am »
Well I made them again today because my darling 10 year old spotted the photos and said quite accusingly, "When did you have this!?" I'm sure she thinks we should not eat at all the whole day she is at school so she doesn't miss out on anything!  :D

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:10 am »
Well I made them again today because my darling 10 year old spotted the photos and said quite accusingly, "When did you have this!?" I'm sure she thinks we should not eat at all the whole day she is at school so she doesn't miss out on anything!  :D

LOL.  My husband does that when we have dinner without him because he's working nights.  He gets sooo jealous :D

Offline jessie36

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 10:11:49 am »
What an unusual pancake it certainly is a must try.
Jessie