Author Topic: Preparing for the unexpected!  (Read 26554 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Preparing for the unexpected!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 12:27:22 pm »
Good thinking CB79 - That is a problem for us as we don't eat much cake usually but like to have some on hand.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:05 pm »
 :o WOW! You guys are all so organised!!

I don't usually try to cook anything if I have unexpected guests for morning or afternoon tea. It's generally the Elders man/girl or the Insurance guy. I always have cakes in the freezer anyway and the bickie barrel is never empty!

I mostly have to make last minute nibblies when people call in for drinks and stay for ages. That's when the cream cheese and tuna comes in handy, also Salsa and corn chips.

For last minute meals, I would probably make something with pasta. I always have dried mushrooms and UHT cream in my cupboard and frozen or fresh bacon and generally have eggs, so it's quite often carbonara.

I cleaned out my pantry today and it took me almost all day!! I don't believe the amount of stuff I have. Five sorts of rice, for heaven's sake! Every nut, grain, seed and pasta shape know to man, every sort of sugar, every dried fruit there is.... I shouldn't ever have to worry about not having anything to cook! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »
Sounds like you're in a great position to do the $21 challenge - and just in time to save some money for Christmas presents!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
 these ideas sound great [ writing something here so l can find it again to use these  ideas ]

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
Thanks for bumping this thread nazar, it will be interesting to see anymore ideas people have for super quick meals

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »
I have discovered cooked cakes cut into slices in the freezer so you can take out a piece at a time. the problem is I take a piece all the time  :-))
When I make a casserole I put left overs in 1/3 cup lumps on a sheet in the feezer and once snap frozen put in snap lock bags for a quick defrost for pies along with precutting pastry shapes for pies in the pie maker.

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:44 pm »
 l just put my casserole  for pies straight in to zip lock bags wrapped in newpaper (to seperate them from freezing together )
and l stack them on top of one anther  easy to get out of freezer when we want a pie

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »
Often have tradies turn up.  Can make scones very quickly.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 04:58:22 am »
I have discovered cooked cakes cut into slices in the freezer so you can take out a piece at a time. the problem is I take a piece all the time  :-))
When I make a casserole I put left overs in 1/3 cup lumps on a sheet in the feezer and once snap frozen put in snap lock bags for a quick defrost for pies along with precutting pastry shapes for pies in the pie maker.

That's a great idea for the pies Meagan ... that way you can make a variety if you want as well. Making a note of that one!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!