Author Topic: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)  (Read 104693 times)

Offline Catisa

• View Profile
Re: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »
If the dough is pre-made do I have to do anything special to the dough if I chuck it in the fridge or freezer for a later date? I have noticed on a few different replies that some have frozen the dough. Does that mean I can freeze cookie, and bread doughs? Also if its possible to freeze, then after its frozen do I thaw and shape as needed or do I have to put it back in the TM to refresh?
I am not to sure on freezing things in general, lol.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:13:53 pm by mymac2009 »
Michelle
Sarcasm is just 1 of the services I offer ;-)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »
Think from memory, bring it up to room temp, freshen it up with a knead in the thermomix then carry on as usual  ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:50 am »
I have made 10 doz. this season.    I measure the flour and spices and sugar,  mix together and put in a plastic food bag, ahead  (when ever I have a few minutes. ).  Weigh the fruit,  and put in a bag.  This leaves the egg,  butter ,  milk and yeast to be sorted when you are ready.   This means that if you start at about 8.00am you will have buns for lunch.

If you want buns for breakfast,  I would make them the day before and part  cook them (15 mins),  don't put the sugar syrup on the until they are reheated.   Reheat for 10 mins at 200.  Not in the microwave.

I have never frozen sweet dough so don't know how it would behave.   I would be interested to know if someone has done this.

Offline Catisa

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2010, 01:36:46 am »
That's a great idea AChookWoman
I have made 10 doz. this season.    I measure the flour and spices and sugar,  mix together and put in a plastic food bag, ahead (when ever I have a few minutes. ).  Weigh the fruit,  and put in a bag.  This leaves the egg,  butter ,  milk and yeast to be sorted when you are ready.   This means that if you start at about 8.00am you will have buns for lunch.
I never would of thought to do that. These holidays I would like to have things made or partly put together to freeze/store in individual portions for the kids lunch boxes, so this will help. ;D ;D ;D
Michelle

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2010, 01:37:24 am »
oh bugger :-)) :-)) I was hoping someone would have replied about putting the dough in the fridge ready for the morning as I am trying to get organised as it is also DD's 3rd birthday tomorrow so have the cake assembly as well to do :o :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Catisa

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:01 am »
looks like we need to create a new chat just for freezing and storing ideas lol

oh bugger :-)) :-)) I was hoping someone would have replied about putting the dough in the fridge ready for the morning as I am trying to get organised as it is also DD's 3rd birthday tomorrow so have the cake assembly as well to do :o :o

Oh how special is your DD to have a b'day on Good Friday, have a great day and a happy b'day for your DD  :D
Michelle

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2010, 09:46:21 am »
i made a batch and left the dough out all night (deliberately - didn't know whether to put in fridge or not).

they turned out ok but nowhere near as nice as the ones I made as per the recipe.  They had a crook yeasty taste to them...

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2010, 07:36:29 am »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrghggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

computers!!!!!

(insert multitude of swear words...)

now you all miss out on seeing my EDC hot Xbuns. Can't seem to upload a photo... even one compressed to 51.6kb!!!

(deep cleansing breath)

best buns ever btw!!!
left to rise in the ensuite with the heatlamps on. 10mins extra cooking time as I'd made them a bit too gi-normous.

DH and DFIL loved them, as did DS (13mo) and I did too!!!
Pretty proud really.... just PISSED off with the stoopid computer now!!!!

(sigh)

??? ???

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2010, 08:11:35 am »
You can email it to me if you like KL and I'll reduce it in size for you (if that is possible). :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:34 am »
Here's KL's efforts!  They look great!  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2010, 09:00:36 am »
A team effort, well done girls.  Look lovely KL - bet you were proud of your efforts.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:50 am »
KL,  these look great,  and you have a method that works.   ;D ;D.. Never mind the stupid computer :-)) :-))

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:50 am »
I tried the method of leaving the dough (after it had doubled in size) in the fridge overnight.  While it did work and the buns were the best I had ever made, I don't think it saved me a lot of time this morning.  The dough was very hard when it came out of the fridge this morning and took forever to come back to room temperature (even in a slightly warm oven). After rekneading the dough, shaping it into buns and then leaving them to rise for another hour the buns were finally ready to pipe and cook.  Next year I will get organised and do a partial bake the day before as Chookie suggested. I will still probably do two rises though - they were awesome.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:03 am »
I made another batch of these this morning with a few tweaks. 

Instead of warming the milk, I put cold milk in the bowl and heated on 90 C/1 min 30 secs/speed 1.
I then put cubed butter into the warmed milk which helped the butter so soften, and then added the rest of ingredients.  I used only sultanas - 170g, which I added in the final minute of kneading, no peel and 1 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg & cinnamon, (no cloves).  Also added 2 tsp bread improver and used baker's flour.

They were the nicest buns I've ever made.  I didn't put any crosses on today, just a very light sprinkling of raw sugar for a bit of crunch, but I did finish off with the glaze.  Very happy with how they turned out.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:25:11 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2010, 08:26:34 am »
Lovely Julie - a bun for all seasons and occasions.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.