Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 14629 times)

Offline janetski

• View Profile
Peanut butter
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:17:27 am »
Hi!  I am a new owner of a Thermomix, and hope to master it really soon.  Am sort of scared at the moment, but wonder if anyone can help me out with a tried and tested peanut butter recipe.  Needs not be peanuts, and I would like to incorporate almonds, brazils and chai seeds.  Can anyone help?  I'm not worried about salt and sugar.  Am used to buying the stuff without it anyway, and loooove crunchy! :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:05:44 am »
There's a recipe in the Everyday Cookbook that came with your machine Janet, try page 148 but it may be different in your book if it's later than mine.  Here's some reviews of the recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:00 am »
I make my own nut butter, last time it was peanuts and cashews I just whizzed them in the Thermie until they looked the right consistency for me, one time I think I  put a little macadamia nut oil in but I don't think it is necessary, I only make a small jar at a time.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:23:44 am »
I was under the impression that the way to make any sort of nut/seed butter is to just blitz the nuts into a paste and then add oil until you reach spreading consistency :-\

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:57:49 am »
Hi and welcome
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:58 am »
Hello and welcome.
Hope the PB turns out fine!

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:31:51 am »
Welcome to forum. Home made nut butter is the best.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:30 am »
Welcome to the forum Janetski. :)
Sun butter recipe by terstoo ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:51:01 pm »
 If you want 'crunchy' chop your nuts first remove 1/3-1/2 then continue on making the paste add oil to make the consistency you want then add the chopped nuts on rev spd 3 until combined :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:12 am »
Meagan to the rescue. I have never made nut butter, I think I'll give it a try S DH loves peanut butter.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »
Meagan to the rescue. I have never made nut butter, I think I'll give it a try S DH loves peanut butter.

You should do it Cookie - so easy and delish and any combination is great. Macadamia is my oil of choice to add to it - yummo! I use roasted salted peanuts for peanut butter and a combo of raw nuts for nut butters usually brazil, cashew and almond.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:47 pm »
Hi Janetski, I make peanut butter regularly (DS gets through it at a rate of knots). I just dump a 500gm bag of roasted salted peanuts into the bowl and grind at speed 8 until it all starts to come together. Then I drop to speed 4 and keep grinding until I get the consistency he likes (probably about 2 minutes). I don't add any extra oil or anything else and it's great.

You can vary the flavour by adding different nuts in different quantities to the mix (hazel nuts are delicious).

Just keep experimenting and find the method that suits you/your nuts best.

Happy grinding.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:50 am »
Hello and welcome J, hope the Peanut butter worked out for you.  :)
:D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »
Hi Janetski, I make peanut butter regularly (DS gets through it at a rate of knots). I just dump a 500gm bag of roasted salted peanuts into the bowl and grind at speed 8 until it all starts to come together. Then I drop to speed 4 and keep grinding until I get the consistency he likes (probably about 2 minutes). I don't add any extra oil or anything else and it's great.

You can vary the flavour by adding different nuts in different quantities to the mix (hazel nuts are delicious).

Just keep experimenting and find the method that suits you/your nuts best.

Happy grinding.

Rogizoja you should really do it in batches I would suggest no more than 250g at a time. Otherwise over time if you are overloading regularly with other things as well it will weaken your blades and they will need replacing!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:58 pm »
We were given a tub of honey roasted peanuts and cashews mix. They are way to sweet to eat by themselves. Can I use them to make peanut butter? Sad, but I have never made peanut butter before.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate