Author Topic: Lemon meringue pie  (Read 82225 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon meringue pie
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 01:50:28 am »
I'm sure it tasted good though  Courton.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 02:15:06 am »
It was yum!

*Efjay*

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 09:01:20 am »
This was the most frustrating thing I have made in my TM so far. It took about 20 min for the lemon curd to thicken & then the meringue failed as well. Second batch of meringue worked after speaking with my consultant who said to scrap the heat during the whip process. It was flat though, but worked.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 11:22:47 am »
Meringue is extremely hard to make in the thermomix. It must be spotless and should be wiped out with some vinegar to get rid of any traces of oil. Many of us still use beaters for meringue.

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 02:51:11 am »
This was the most frustrating thing I have made in my TM so far. It took about 20 min for the lemon curd to thicken & then the meringue failed as well. Second batch of meringue worked after speaking with my consultant who said to scrap the heat during the whip process. It was flat though, but worked.
Merengue
Efjay I use 2 extra egg whites - at room temp, no extra sugar a Tbl of cream of tarter and just beat it for a long time, I don't make any extra effort with the bowl being cleaner dry ect.  Just beat it and beat it as you can see from my photos the meringue is think high and great.
Filling
I also add cornflour to my curd if it every looks like isn't thickening as much as I like.   I have made mini ones tooI really love the recipe.
Pastry
I use janes http://www.cookwithjanie.com/recipes/lemontart.html

Good luck don't give up it is beautiful

Offline JoZed

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:52 am »
I made this but my lemon curd did not thicken up,.  I had to add the corn flour as per the EDC.  It then thickened.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 02:46:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum JoZed.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
I did it, CC! Was so inspired by your beautiful pie that I tried making one today...despite not tasting one before 😁

For the pastry, I used the shortcrust pastry from http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=14577.0 That turned out to be the easiest component to get right, just a bit time consuming.

Lemon filling was from this recipe. I think I shouldn't have left the filling in the TM bowl after cooking. It had turned into scrambled egg when I wanted to pour it in 😯

Meringue was the trickiest of the lot. 4 egg whites and 200 g pulverised raw sugar. I used my KitchenAid which handled the whipping with ease. Unfortunately I didn't know at what point should I stop whipping. The meringue was droopy and couldn't hold any shape. I tried using spoon and spatula to create the peaks. It did NOT cooperate 😤

My oven can only reach up to 170c on fan force. I couldn't get the dark brown bits. Got an overall light brown tone instead.

I completed my pie at 11.30am. By 3.30 pm, it had cracks. The cracks were all around the pie when we reached my aunt's house. It was liquidy and the base was soaked through when we sliced it at 6.30pm.

Is this a dessert that you're meant to eat immediately, I wonder.

Taste wise, it was lovely. I would reduce the sugar by half in the meringue next time. Was too sweet. The pastry was spectacular....the bits that were not wet, that is. Very flaky...almost like a Danish pastry.

My English uncle loved it and had 2 extra servings. So there's hope for my LMP 😁😄

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
Great effort BZB 8) You probably did over whip your egg whites but that didn't stop you uncle having 2 extra servings ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
Thanks CC 😄 Thinking very hard whether I'm brave enough to make it for a dinner party this weekend. Or stick to something safer 😁

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Lemon meringue pie
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
Thanks CC 😄 Thinking very hard whether I'm brave enough to make it for a dinner party this weekend. Or stick to something safer 😁

Hi BZB . . . how about doing both? :D  If the meringue turns out you can can offer both, if not, you're still safe!! ;D  Hope you have an really enjoyable evening! :D

Just a thought... Maybe try the pie in these loose bottom pans-about the size of a good sized muffin....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:31 am »
Well done BZB. As long as the pie tasted nice. Meringue is whipped when you can turn the bowl upside down and none falls out.  ;D ;D
It should have stiff peaks that stay upright when you lift the beaters.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, GF. Was tempted to get one of these pans before, but I managed to resist 😁

Cookie, thanks for the meringue tip.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
Made an improved version of LMP. Used 6 egg whites for meringue (as my pie dish was 25cm) and kept the sugar at 200g. Still too sweet.

Doubled the filling.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »
Looking good BZB 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.