Author Topic: Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken  (Read 10976 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:13 pm »
I just got a whole chicken out of the freezer to cook in my new PC tonight. Does anyone have a nice recipe I can use?

Thanks
DG x
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »
Did yiu find one DG.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

stacelee

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:39:39 pm »
To pressure cook a whole chicken, I normally dump it in with some Italian spices or whatever spice mix I have sitting around sprinkled over the top.  I cook it for around 20-25 minutes depending on the size and usually put around 500ml of water in.  I discard the skin when it is cooked because I don't like soggy skin, but the meat is beautiful and moist and is devoured around here for sandwiches. 
The liquid that is left is good basic chicken stock and I normally use the bones together with the appropriate vegetables (depending on what is sitting in the fridge) to make a more traditional chicken stock in the pressure cooker.

Another good way to cook a chicken easily if you want to use the skin is to heat a enamel cast iron pan to 230C in the oven.  Drop the chicken into the pan, cover with the lid and cook at 230C for approximately 30 minutes (25-35 depending on size).  Turn the oven off and leave the chicken covered in the pan in the oven for another approximately 30 minutes (25-35 depending on size).  Again I normally sprinkle the chicken with whatever herb mixes I have to hand.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »
Thank you Stacelee.

H :)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:43:14 am »
Thank you Stacelee.

Hally, I just squirted some lemon juice on the chicken. Then spread seom minced garlic and herbs oer the top and cooked 30 mins. It was so juicy and tender. Best chook I have had in ages and no fat.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:03 am »
I get in trouble with my sister because I laugh at her when she buys chicken stock in the supermarket.  For not much more money I can get chicken meat and about 1.5 litres of homemade stock.  She has an electric pressure cooker that my mother and I bought her a couple of years ago for her birthday but she hasn't learnt to use it yet.  I did buy her the women's weekly book and another one to go with it.  I must get on her case about it again.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 03:51:05 am »
If you are looking for just a plain "roast chicken" in the pc, here's a simple recipe.

ROAST CHICKEN
1.5kg whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup liquid (water or stock)

Add a little oil to the pc and heat.  Add chicken and cook turning until skin is golden.

Add liquid, cover and bring to high pressure over high heat.  Once stabilised, cook 20 mins.

Release pressure using nrm.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:47 am »
Thanks Julie.
Tomorrow night I am cooking a pot roast beef in PC. Might add a spalsh of red wine and some herbs to the pot.
Loved the corned beef. So quick, easy and absolutely delish.
Thank you everyone for encouraging me to get a PC, along with thermie, it is used regularly now. Don't know how I lived so long without it.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:27 am »
DG which pc do you have?

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:37 am »
Cuisinart 6LT.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:37:03 am »
Good for you Dizzy  ;D

Hally, I read on another forum someone who has the Cuisinart one and she loves it too. I've got a couple of their products and am very happy with them.  :D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:39:31 am »
Stacelee, thanks for the recipe. Do you find that the 500ml water is too much liquid for the PC for one chook?  I bet it would make an absolutely delish chicken stock though! I'm only asking as I usually cook with less liquid than that.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

stacelee

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:38:56 am »
I sit the chicken on a rack which gets it up high enough out of the water.  I've also sat the chicken on top of a couple of cut onions a couple of times when I've wanted to get a little more height.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:21 am »
i have the cusinart ice cream softserve....
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:24:14 pm »
I have a chicken defrosting in the fridge. Might make a tandori marinade then cook it in the pc.

I do like that if you do a regular chicken it can be the start of a stock.

Yesterdayi bought chicken breast frames from ww, they were not on my list.'

I must admit I do keep boxed stock on hand as a standby.

Have the 1.8kg chicken in the pc, used 500mls water, rubbed garlic paste under skin, poured 1/2 lemon ver chicken, the cut 1 lemon in 1/2 & placed in cavaty.

After this will make chicken stock :)

30 mins is not long enough in my electric cooker for a1.8kg chicken, its still quit pink. So going back in, cut into peces for 10 mins
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:30:01 am by Halex »