Author Topic: A dessert to impress???  (Read 29056 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
A dessert to impress???
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »
Usually I try not to make desserts because I don't have anyone else here to eat it all for me.... so I need some help please.

I'm having a guest for dinner (ok a nice guy ;) :-[) and I'll cook up a roast lamb for the main part of the meal but need some help in choosing a scrumptious dessert that will go nicely afterwards (and to be honest I want it to impress - can't believe I'm admitting to this in public  :o).

I could make the fool proof self saucing chocolate pudding, or those strawberry tarts from last years calendar (the valentines day ones).... or there's Jo's divine looking lime & kiwifruit tart with pistachio pastry...  ??? ??? HELP please.... ?
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A dessert to impress???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:34:33 pm »
Do you want it all prepared before hand? Or would you be happy with something like strawberry foam, or perhaps this isn't quite impressive enough!!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »
The cat's out of the bag now ILB  ;D ;D ;D  I've just made the German cherry crumble cheesecake and it looks really nice.  Can't tell you what it tastes like until after my guests leave on Saturday though and that is probably too late.  Those who have tried it really liked it though.  The kiwi tart is Julies recipe - any of her dessert photos looks really good.  Isi's apple crumble looks good but may not impress enough.  Whipping him up an instant ice-cream if it is hot will certainly impress.  I'm sure you will choose something nice in the end and have a lovely day.  I'm sooo excited for you  :-* :-* 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:20 pm »
I'm not a dessert fan, but will always eat fresh fruit with Mars Bar Dip. Just cut up strawberries, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, bananas (toss in lemon juice) and any other fruit in season and arrange artfully on a platter. Place a bowl of this in the middle and use wooden skewers.
This is a shared dessert, so can be romantic. We also love to put marshmallows on the platter....mmmmm.....
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »
ILB, just saw MJ's Mars Bar dip - that would be a romantic dessert and so quick & easy to prepare with a platter of fresh fruit.
Bron's Banoffee Pie is a good one but takes a while to make.

You just got in before me MJ - we are on the same wave length.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »
It has to be something chocolate.   

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:37 pm »
Do you want it all prepared before hand? Or would you be happy with something like strawberry foam, or perhaps this isn't quite impressive enough!!

My first thought was not impressive enough, but in a chocolate basket which I could make before hand and some fresh strawberries to serve it with might be nice and light afterwards and certainly impressive with the texture.

just had a thought, raspberry and mint might be a refreshing alternative too.... hmmmm  :P

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:17 pm »
The cat's out of the bag now ILB  ;D ;D ;D  I've just made the German cherry crumble cheesecake and it looks really nice.  Can't tell you what it tastes like until after my guests leave on Saturday though and that is probably too late.  Those who have tried it really liked it though.  The kiwi tart is Julies recipe - any of her dessert photos looks really good.  Isi's apple crumble looks good but may not impress enough.  Whipping him up an instant ice-cream if it is hot will certainly impress.  I'm sure you will choose something nice in the end and have a lovely day.  I'm sooo excited for you  :-* :-* 

Im blushing now JD! But I have to learn to ask for help! And I need it. Oh too many choices!   I could do little individual kiwi tarts....

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »
I'm not a dessert fan, but will always eat fresh fruit with Mars Bar Dip. Just cut up strawberries, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, bananas (toss in lemon juice) and any other fruit in season and arrange artfully on a platter. Place a bowl of this in the middle and use wooden skewers.
This is a shared dessert, so can be romantic. We also love to put marshmallows on the platter....mmmmm.....

Perhaps this is it MJ! Chocolate, easy to prepare, romantic, not too heavy or fattening (though mars bars and cream   ??? :-)) - it's got fruit so has to be healthy right!!?? ) LOL.

Thanks everyone for your help!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:17:09 pm »
Oh, it's definitely healthy!! Lots of fruit....and very romantic ;)
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »
Looks like you have made your choice ILB - an excellent one too.  Good on you MJ.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:43:38 pm »
my fave easy dessert is

chop on speed 4 a cup or so of hazelnutes and a bar of dark good chocolate, chop till coarsely grated
set aside

1 tub of marscapone cheese (250g i think is the size)
300g of greek yoghurt
couple of tablespoons of brown sugar
maple syrup

whisk on speed 4 with the butterfly in place for 4mins, add more maple syrup if required

**I also add some liqueur - amaretto or cointrea**

put in dish (or separate glasses) to chill for a few hours

when ready to serve, put the hazelnut/choc mix on the top and then also top with fruit - I use fresh strawberries or even frozen raspberries - also sprinkled with some liquer

very simple and very decadent!!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »
I did my first ever TMX Creme Brulee last Sunday with some raspberries on the bottom.   We had some friends round and they were VERY impressed - one said it was the best Creme Brulee he'd ever eaten  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:47 am »
Thanks to you ILB, we are now getting some great ideas coming out of the woodwork for favourite desserts.  It is always a problem choosing what to do in this household when entertaining as you do like to do something a little special. I'm not like JulieO - ALL her desserts are special and she does them for her family, not just for guests.

Baf65, what would you call your dessert - it sounds really nice without having to spend a lot of time making it.

Katya, which recipe did you use for the creme brulee? I have an old EDC and I had made a note on it about a revised recipe being put on the forum but also with the comment that some found the original recipe better than the revised one.

I want to start a special folder for dinner party recipes in general. Came across one whole menu put out by Thermomix which is here if you have missed it.
http://thermorecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/dinner-party-from-vault.html

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:21 am »
Whatever you make ILB will be wonderful I am sure. Just relax and have a lovely evening.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/