Author Topic: When technology just isn't so convenient.....  (Read 9704 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
When technology just isn't so convenient.....
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:06 am »
OK, so my laptop dies before Christmas, takes till nearly the end of January to hear that it'll cost $900 to repair.  :o :o >:(
After hearing that I decided to then purchase a desk top PC. After lots of issues with that, I finally got emails coming in, just not going out.... so decide that perhaps I should change over to my optus email address hoping I'd have better luck moving emails as I'd prefer to stay on the optus internet connection (and my PC wasn't recognising the wireless bigpond connection....) but I can't even log on there as my user name and password aren't recognised...... :'( :'( Then I loaded Office programs onto the computer then suddenly I can't get emails going in or out....  >:( >:(

Now, I've hooked up the printer to print off some recipes as I finally found a power point where the printer will reach and still stay connected to the computer, but I need to load the bl##dy CD for the printer program don't I..... simple enough.... BUT I've moved since then and everything related to program CD's etc is in a box somewhere between my shed or my parents shed... AGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lets not start on losing all my contacts, past emails with contact information, templates etc for being a consultant.... I'm fed up!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: When technology just isn't so convenient.....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:49:55 am »
Oh dear ILB, sounds a right fix you are in.  You must know someone who can help somehow.  Firstly I guess you have to find that CD.  Sit down, open a bottle of BB and contemplate the situation, take a deep breath and tell yourself it will all work out in the end.  I'm sure you've had bigger problems in life - thinking of you  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:12 am »
Thanks JD. At the moment, I'd probably see the bottom of that bottle before the CD..... LOL.

Just need some time to try to work it all out uninterupted.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:46 am »
ILB, how very frustrating for you. When you kick the door, do so gently so that you don't break a toe! I empathise with you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »
Google your printer model and the word "driver" and download it from the net.

I'm too lazy to keep my CDroms where I can always find them so I just redownload everytime! ;)

:D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »
Really? Oh you are a godsend  :-* :-*

Thanks cookie - good advice!!  ;) :-*

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:46:51 am »
Really? Oh you are a godsend  :-* :-*

LOL! Yes ILB... in fact, it's a plus because you'll most likely get the most up to date drivers from the manufacturer's site too... ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:32 am »
ILB you probably already know this, but the more you deviate from using a pen and paper and a carrier pigeon the more hair you are going to pull out. Don't do it to yourself  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:44 am »
Hello ILB,
I empathise with you but can probably help re your outgoing mail. If you are using any mail program (eg Outlook) to download your mail you MUST use the SMTP server of your connected Internet Service Provider. You can collect (POP3) mail from any connection but to prevent Spam and other nasties the ISP require you to use their server. I do not know all the Australian providers but this link should help. http://www.redalto.com.au/support/outgoing_mail_servers_smtp_of_major_australian_isps.html . I can always help if you want to skype me - my skype name is sjharrop - please just be aware of the time difference.
Shayla

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:16:01 am »
Oh ILB - I know what you are going thru.  As Shayla says - it is frustrating but if an email come to you via work email address - then you can collect it, but not reply to it with that account ??

You can only send via the mail for your internet provider's account.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:25 am »
Thank you all for your help.

You are right, I can't send bigpond emails because my pc won't recognise the bigpond aircard. Ideally I want to set up my optus email and have that as the main one, but for some reason I can't even log on to my optus account. It's a matter of remembering to give them a call while I'm at work and sorting it out.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:10 pm »
You can still reply from any accoun - just click account - if you have more than one mail account and you can choose which account to send from. The smtp server which you must use is still the same for ALL accounts  but the mail is sent from the chosen account through the smtp server of your connected isp. I have four mail accounts in my Outlook and although they are all sent via the same smtp server - when you receive it it will show the account i chose to send from. Hope this makes a little sense; as I said I can help you via skype.
Shayla

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »
I feel your pain ILB! I've had to change computers a number of times over the years and have lost downloaded programmes, email addresses etc. I now have a little back up drive that is permanently plugged in. I also keep an address book which has all my log in names and passwords for all sites that I visit. This has been invaluable!

Hope you can sort things out soon. I remember I couldn't get bigpond to connect wirelessly either, but now I can use it wirelessly, so go figure!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 07:28:37 am »
Thank you all for your help. I'm nearly there....

Ended up calling the tech support guy that I got my pc from and he was able to log on for me from his work, find my old back up emails and contacts ( :) ), fix my emails and i've just down loaded the printer driver.

Oh you guys are such a huge help!  :-* :-*

Shayla - I downloaded Skype to contact you, then realised I don't have a microphone, let along a camera (oh how i miss my lap top, it had all of that... sigh). Thank you so much for your offer!   And at first I had no idea what you were talking about when you were referring to sending emails via different accounts, but I think I have that sorted now.

The only issue is I keep having this little window pop up wanting me to verify the password for each email account - very annoying. Anyway I'll deal with that one later.

Thanks MJ for your suggestion, I think that's a great idea you suggested - I'll get myself organised and do the same.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* To you all  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 07:38:15 am »
Glad it's working out for you ILB.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/