Author Topic: Beetroot bread  (Read 2540 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Beetroot bread
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:13:05 am »
It was really really good. The crust has a slightly earthy flavour but not the rest. Great colour. Would make a good party piece. There was no recipe as I just made it up.

I had a really big beetroot which I peeled and cut into about 16 pieces. I put them into the Thermomix and turned it straight up to 9 for about 10 seconds. It was pretty much pulped but as I had some milk sitting near I poured maybe 1/2 A cup and whizzed it on 10 for 50/60 seconds. Now it is a purée which is what I was aiming for. I put about a tablespoon or maybe 10 gms of yeast in followed by maybe 1/2 a cup of warm water and a coffee shop paper thing of sugar. I put three cups of bakers flour in. On top of that I put two big pinches of salt and maybe a big tablespoon of oil. Mixed it up a bit on 6 for about 30 seconds. Then while I cleaned up everything beet coloured I kneaded it for a good 5 minutes. While I was kneading it I could see it was very wet so I just kept adding more flour with a spoon through the hole until it looked and felt right. Maybe 1.5 cups. I left it in the jug for an hour. Kneaded it for 1.5 minutes and dumped it straight on to the baking paper and left it for 1 hour. Popped it into oven at 220 fan forced . I didn't really care if it came out at all because it was just for fun. I was really surprised when it did. I will do it again.

See Gert's pictures on this page, scroll down.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:28:42 am by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.