Author Topic: Hints on proving bread on a cooler day?  (Read 14196 times)

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
Hints on proving bread on a cooler day?
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:53:42 am »
My first bread disaster yesterday. It was a cooler day here in the Adelaide Hills and my bread just wouldnt rise. I use the no fuss recipe and leave it to rise in the bowl, which it didnt.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on getting bread to rise on a cooler day? I've heard about putting in a warm car but thats parked in the garage, and there were no warm rooms in the house at all. I havent had a bread disaster since I first got Thermie!

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Re: Hints on proving bread on a cooler day?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:16 am »
I put it in the oven at 50 degrees. Works for me as at the moment we quite often have the air conditioning on.

Debbie

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:45 am »
LMT,  a few inovative tips. Needs to between 20/25 degrees to rise well.
If leaving in bowl.... In the sun behind glass window
                                    heat oven to 70 and place in there, turn oven off
                                    In bed with electric blanket on
                                    In preheated clothes dryer

Out of TMX bowl.             All of above
                                    over sink of hot water with tea towel over top or shower cap on.
                                    If sun has been falling on tiles, then this a good spot to place bowl.
                                    warm bowl before placing dough in.
                                    On top of electric hot water service
                                     on top of electric coffee machine that has a cup warming function.

I am sure that there are many more ways to keep the dough warm.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:48:42 am »
Earlier today I used a heat lamp because my usual sites (Excalibur dehydrators) were in use drying a bunch of banana chips.
Someone gave me a whole STALK of bananas.

I spritz a dish towel with water so it is barely damp and keep it that way and have the heat lamp suspended about 3 feet above the bowl for the first rise and the sheet and loaf pans after they were shaped for the final rise. 

When I was still breeding basenjis, I used the heat lamps to keep the mum and newborn pups warm and I had purchased several and still have a couple in the original boxes.  The newer ones use less power than the old ones.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:50:36 am »
Place it in the varoma dish (either in the bread mat, on parchment or in a bowl) and place over the TMX jug with hot water in it - this was passed to me by a customer and she swears by it.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »
I often used JD's idea and put the dough in a bowl in the dishwasher just after it has finished it's cycle. Does a great job. Thanks JD  :-*
If the dishwasher is not available I heat my oven to 50 degrees, turn the heat off but leave the light on and put the dough in there.
I remember someone else putting the dough in the lovely warm car.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
LMT,  a few inovative tips. Needs to between 20/25 degrees to rise well.
If leaving in bowl.... In the sun behind glass window
                                    heat oven to 70 and place in there, turn oven off
                                    In bed with electric blanket on
                                    In preheated clothes dryer

Out of TMX bowl.             All of above
                                    over sink of hot water with tea towel over top or shower cap on.
                                    If sun has been falling on tiles, then this a good spot to place bowl.
                                    warm bowl before placing dough in.
                                    On top of electric hot water service
                                     on top of electric coffee machine that has a cup warming function.

I am sure that there are many more ways to keep the dough warm.

If the top of your fridge is accessible, that is an area that is usually warmer than anywhere else in the kitchen, especially near the back, above the coil area, even if they are enclosed. 
My big fridge is built in but the smaller one I have in the pantry for cheese and produce maintains a constant temp of near 80° F, even when the rest of the pantry is just above 60.   80° F is pretty close to ideal for proofing most breads. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »
I don't understand why you had problems proving on a cold day.  I sometimes put mine in the fridge for a slow rise - it still rises but can sometimes take overnight, depending on the temperature that it started at ...  A lot of bakers recommend a slow rise for better flavour.  I tend to use a sponge or some old dough for the flavour and make the bread a bit quicker.

I can't add any more hints and tips as theres already loads here  :-\ :-\

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:24:38 am »
thank you for your suggestions everyone. I knew you would know the answer!

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:10 am »
Prior to my Thermomix days when cooking was very laborious! I used to put the dough on a tray covered in glad wrap over a bowl of boiling water. On the really cold days I would even warm teatowels in the microwave an wrap it all up in them.

I've not had any trouble since getting my Thermie and the mat. Partners in crime they are!  ;)

Good luck!

PS How old is your yeast? If that is a few weeks old it might be past it's effective date. 

To test your yeast - place one teaspoon of yeast and one teaspoon of sugar into a glass.  Add quite warm water and stir. Leave to stand for approx 10 minutes.  After doing this, if there is more than about 10mm of foam in the glass, then the yeast is still active.  If not, your yeast wont give you the best results.

Hope this helps!
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 05:40:31 am »
A couple of ideas I use on cold days are- put a bowl of boiling water on the floor of the oven and place your bread on a shelf. Close the door.
The second is to put the oven on about 50 and as soon as the light goes out turn it off. Then place your bread in the oven until it has risen.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:51:10 am »
My bathroom faces east so is the warmest room in the house in the mornings (if the sun is out of course) so I place the TM bowl with the dough in it on the window ledge.  If there is no sun I use the 50oC method in the oven.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline pandateddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:09 am »
I thought it would be a great idea to put mine outside in the warm sun one day to help it rise more quickly. I placed the jug on my outdoor table and put a shower cap over the bowl. All was well until my dog came into the house covered in bread dough!
Wherever you put it make sure it is dog proof. Picking out bread dough from poodle fur is not fun!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 07:15:01 am »
Sorry pandateddy, I just had to laugh when I read this.  Did you happen to take a photo, would love to see it - certainly would not have liked the job of cleaning him/her up though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:43 am »
Love the poodle tale - while anywhere has been warm in Rockhampton since I have overcome my bread making issues, for a quick proving I put the dough in the car - we all know how warm locked cars in the sun can get.  I think it was Maddy who posted that suggestion in an earlier post!
Cheers - Robyn  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.