Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
Introducing myself
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:52:20 am »
Hi, I was cheeky enough to reply to a post and even ask questions before introducing myself!
I am from the NT and have had my ThermoMix for less than a week - after many months of dreaming about it!
Mostly there are just 2 of us for meals but 2 of my children and 5 grandchildren are often here as well. So the machine will get a workout. Grandson asked if I got especially to make him drinks after we made Drinking Yoghurt. 'Of course' I said!!!
I know I am going to enjoy my TMX experience and thank you all for your support and input.
Cheers

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:59:54 am »
Welcome Mida Made. It must be getting warm up your way, time for cooling drinks and sorbets.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:23:04 am »
Just replied to your first posting Mida Made so now will officially welcome you to the forum.  Sounds like you have lots to feed with your TMX and it will really be put to the test. I lived in Darwin for 2 years back in 1970-72 and knowing it is always hot up there, thought we would be living on salads.  However, with the price of salads (lettuce was 35 cents up there and only 10 cents back here in those days) and the fact that salad ingredients didn't last long, I soon switched to hot meals and very rarely had salads. I can just imagine how often you will be making sorbet and drinks and with appreciative grand-children visiting, you will find the TMX a great help.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 01:37:09 pm »
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you are embracing your tmx with open arms and will be producing lovely food.

Interesting what Judy said - will be interested to see if it's all sorbets etc over the summer or hot meals too.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mida Made.Less than a week and you sound as though you are already addicted.Have fun cooking. :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:58:57 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »
Welcome Mida Made. Sounds like you and your TMX have "bonded" quickly and thats great. Hope you want your grandchildren around more because as they discover the things you can make they will clambering to visit. ;D ;D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 06:40:09 am »
You are not Wrong, Cookie1. Mango Daiquiris go down a treat now that mango season is beginning!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:07 am »
I adore mangoes. I learnt to love them when we lived in Broome and getting them was no problem. Now I am in the city and I have to pay a fortune for them. Oh well. :'(

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 03:11:27 am »
Thanks for all the welcome replies. Yes, my Thermo Mix and I are bonding well. I am learning lots of things. Made Custard for the grandkids last night - just Custard powder and milk and once I added a little more powder it was just like they like it. Need to stock up on custard powder now they have seen how quick and easy it is.
I do want to try a Seafood Risotto. Any suggestions as to  how to proceed? I want to use a marinara mix from Woolworths. Would I add it in say 3/4 way through?
Just for the record, bananas and mangoes - locally grown are no cheaper here than in the southern states. In fact they are probably more expensive and rarely go on Special. We have no Aldi or Costco or cheap grocer to keep the Big 2 on their toes! You need to have a friend with trees. Unfortunately my friends with trees are reporting a late, poor season. Lucky there is lots in the freezer still
Cheers

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 03:23:53 am »
I've done this one Mida Made and it is delicious http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2622.0.

Could you just adjust the recipe to suit the marinara mix - I have never used that mix myself.

I wouldn't go to the expense of buying the fennel just for the tips though.  Next time I make it I am going to incorporate some fennel  into the recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:04 am »
When I make seafood risotto I steam the seafood in the Varoma and then gently fold it in when I put the rice etc in the thermoserver. I always add a little dill too as I like to use prawns and smoked salmon. It only needs a little. I'll have to check and see if I have posted the recipe. If not it's just a basic plain risotto plus seafood.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:49:13 am »
Welcome Mida Made.  Good to hear you are bonding. 

Cookie1's idea is great - more marinara mix able to be added that way.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 04:38:53 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:19 pm »
Thank you for the tips for the Seafood Risotto. I had seen that recipe for the Prawn, Pea and fennel Risotto and thought I  would use it as the basis. Fennel is a common ingredient for me, I love it, can't walk past it!!!! We were only just discussing it over dinner tonight. I made the Beef Rendang and paratha again. This time I made 1 1/2 times the recipe so I can freeze some!
Cheers
Armida

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:11:49 am »
Hi Mida Made!
I have seen some time ago a Spanish chef doing a similar dish, stir frying large prawns in the bowl, at Varoma temp and reverse function. He showed the inside of the bowl and ... Intact prawns!
Go for it  ;)
Gabry from Adelaide