Author Topic: Scales don't function properly  (Read 27518 times)

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
Re: Scales don't function properly
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:37:29 am »
Thanks for that advice Dede - I will take care.  I have a very wide bench and is usually pushed right back but you are right it does tend to dance around a bit.  Will not leave it while kneading - it is usually not for a long time anyway so not a big ask.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline sunshiine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 02:22:40 am »
LOL...yes, won't be holding my breath....... 
I did start to worry that my weight on the floorboards was throwing out the scales on the TM up on the cupboard  haha!
But I did witness the same thing happening when the consultant did a demon at a friend's house (with her own TM) and so I know it's not just me or my situation.

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions....much appreciated.   I think the TM company need to address this.   In the meantime, best I get myself some kitchen scales.   (smiles)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:52:51 am »
I remember speaking to someone somewhere who had put her TMX onto a large, thin cutting mat. That way she could slide, rather than lift the machine and it didn't have more than a mm to fall if it came off the mat. I tend to lift mine to the front of the bench to use and lift it back when I'm finished.
I'm very glad that my scales don't wibble and wobble. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:38 am »
My thermomix scales aren't very accurate either. When I weigh on the digital scales there is a 10-20gm difference.
I don't worry too much if just baking a simple cake or muffins but it matters with some of the more complex pastry recipes.
I then only use the digital scales.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:36 am »
I had a bit of trouble with my scales a while back. They seemed about 30g out. I cleaned up the feet and moved the TMX to a different spot in the kitchen and they're OK now.

I've never had the issue that deniser is talking about, though I notice it does happen in my workshop with my very expensive scales. The bench top is stainless steel and if I put a heavy item such as a drum of oil down, it affects the scales.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline melconyers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 12:01:42 am »
I have just found that my scales are playing up and am now also using a digital scale. I will check the benchtop to see if that is the problem

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 02:26:32 am »
Hi melconyers.  Welcome.  If you suspect your scales are playing up, there's no need to suffer in silence.  Contact your consultant and while you are waiting for his/her attention, re-read the manual in the section all about the scales.  And breathe deeply. Then come back and tell us, as I'm sure your problem can be resolved.  :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Bethwood

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:37 am »
I've had the same problem as well. Mostly when I try to measure very small amounts. I have mine on an island type bench so I wonder if that's the problem. I've made sure that the feet are clean etc and no cords are in the way so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll have to try it on the actual kitchen bench. It's frustrating because it doesn't happen every single time.

Beth
Beth

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:35 am »
I'm sure I read somewhere that small amounts are best weighed another way.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:06 am »
welcome to the forum Beth, pop over to Introduce Yourself on the home page and say hi  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 01:18:28 pm »
I find my scales don't work very well either I just add a little extra and sometimes I can weight the same thing a few times with a different weight each time.

Offline sunnyzoë

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 03:40:38 pm »
This is happening to me too. I had suspected for a while that the scales weren't particularly accurate, and then one day when my daughter leaned on the table, I saw the scale reading change.

I have figured out that it is a combination of a table that does move slightly when weight is placed on it (heavy bag of flour, or someone leaning on it) and also I think even the floorboards.

Pretty annoying, as I'm not keen to have to use separate scales, and to move the TMX to the actual kitchen bench (rather than the table) would place it in a very inconvenient spot :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:01 am »
I think a bench is a far more stable place than a table for the Thermomix sunnyzoe but at least you are aware of the problem and it looks like you might have to get some separate scales if the table is the place you want to be using the TMX.  Not so important with savoury dishes but for cakes etc, the weight of ingredients needs to be more accurate.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:15 am »
I find that I have to be careful in the caravan when using the scales. No one is allowed to move or it upsets them. I think it is just the floor moving or in the case of the van, the whole thing as you climb in and out.